ANY AND ALL BREAKING KNOWLEDGE WANTED!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my suggestion wasn't that breaking made you small fat and bald, rather that it seems to attract people of that general description. I'm genuinely perplexed by grown men , driving. Somewhere getting all dressed up and attacking bits of wood etal. There is clearly some element that makes up for a lack of self esteem else where in your life.

its a bit like the movie falling down, only with out the actual danger, "Feeling really frustrated today, il smashed 8 pavers,what a man I am!I
had a mate ,who when he got really cross with his neibour or his wife or the news, use to attacked s own furniture , I got there once to find he had beaten up his fridge good and proper, I thought what an idiot
Breaking is mostly a confidence builder for children,

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
people aren't impressed, they are laughing at you

was the description of the fat bald bloke a bit to close to home?

small fat and bald, rather that it seems to attract people of that general description.

There is clearly some element that makes up for a lack of self esteem else where in your life.

Ive not insulted anyone

Are you mental?

We don't do breaking and if you think it is pointless that is fine.

But why do you feel the need to poke people in the eye that do do breaking?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
well you've got a thin skin. Are you in fact denying that any of that is not substantially true. ?

Do I think people who are into breaking are all fat bald guys with low self esteem.....no....that is a ridiculous and broad mischaracterization

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok they are not all bald

the only reason they get up to break things is to show off, now explain why someone with high self esteem would do that?

I don't know

I don't care

And I don't see the need to make fun or insult anyone who does.

Why do you feel the need to disparage what someone else is doing?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you've got a thin skin. Are you in fact denying that any of that is not substantially true. ?
He doesn't do breaking (as he stated in the same post), so your insults weren't aimed at him. He just recognizes them as what they are.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Jobo that breaking is totally unnecessary. I have achieved everything he mentioned without breaking (at least in the last 20 years)...I have the equivalent rank of a black belt in my core art, I am short, a bit too round, and something of a joke (just ask my teenage son). And I did it all without breaking!!!

Oh snap, I forgot. I still have a full head of hair. Perhaps breaking would help? LOL

BTW Jobo, don't be a killjoy. Some of those breaking demos are really cool! :)

I don't think anyone has said necessary. People have said USEFUL, which is not the same thing at all.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
well a no one can actually say what the point is, I seem to be winning the debate by default. When a was I young teen, I did things like that, but then when my balls dropped, it seemed a sort of pointless activerty and I went on to fight actual people instead . Perhaps its an American thing like shooting bears, looks tuff but no actual danger

Several people have told you what benefits can be gleaned from breaking. You just ignored them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well a no one can actually say what the point is, I seem to be winning the debate by default. When a was I young teen, I did things like that, but then when my balls dropped, it seemed a sort of pointless activerty and I went on to fight actual people instead . Perhaps its an American thing like shooting bears, looks tuff but no actual danger
You win every debate. At least in your own little world anyway.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do breaking but I have no reason to doubt people who do when they say it's useful. It's usually better not to pass an opinion on something unless one knows what one is talking about. I could give you an opinion on the use of power tools but it would be nonsense as I know nothing about the subject and those that did would very rightly laugh at me. Judging by appearances is also something to avoid I've found.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Several people have told you what benefits can be gleaned from breaking. You just ignored them.
well they weren't very convincing, coming across more as justifications, but let's say it was so, why would people put on exhibitions' or put it up on you tube, if one of the prime motivator's wasn't to show off

. As I said at the beginning, my main objection is it brings martial arts into disrepute,the general public think ma is all silly middle aged men breaking bits of wood, if people were only doing it at the dojo, then it wouldn't matter so much, but they make a big show like its something to be proud of

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well they weren't very convincing, coming across more as justifications, but let's say it was so, why would people put on exhibitions' or put it up on you tube, if one of the prime motivator's wasn't to show off

. As I said at the beginning, my main objection is it brings martial arts into disrepute,the general public think ma is all silly middle aged men breaking bits of wood, if people were only doing it at the dojo, then it wouldn't matter so much, but they make a big show like its something to be proud of
You seem to miss the large number of fit, younger people who do breaks, too. And the number of people in audiences who enjoy the demonstrations. I'm not much for breaking, but it's not nearly so silly, childish, or middle-aged (an odd contradiction in your own statements) as you make out.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here, I wrote poem -

Some people break,
Some people don't.
Some people will,
Some people won't.
Some will listen to you.....nah, dat ain't true.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cuz were all convinced, yer sniffin' glue. o_O

Tried that once, it was disastrous.
NoseGlue.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a show-boat break we used to do for demos. The cement blocks are real, but they're being busted with a sledge, and pretty much anything can be cracked with a sledge. I'd never try it with my hands, I'll leave that to you other guys.

CementBreak.JPG

This was a practice session. In the actual demo you do a proper zen pushup and someone places a board with a six inch spike sticking up through it under your belly. Which is also a show-boat move because if you start to slip you just bend your legs and go to your knees, there's really no danger of being impaled.

And, other than the actual zen pushup itself, there really isn't any pressure on your lower back, it's dissipated to your hips and up along your back.

Why were we doing it? Just having fun and showing off for a demo.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had an idea just for anyone on here to post anything they know about breaking techniques no matter how big or small.
I'm talking:
-cool breaks you've seen
-tricks of the trade
-tips
-training

I don't care if it's straight up magicians tricks. If you've seen or performed it at a martial arts demo, then post it up and let's pool our knowledge together.

Well I found this book interesting on the topic:

Karate Breaking Techniques: With Practical Applications for Self-Defense: Jack Hibbard: 9780804818766: Amazon.com: Books

In addition, the club I started training at did stage style presentations for our local university for homecoming week. We did everything from brick breaks, various board breaks, hard body breaks, and we even did the sledge hammer on bricks across someone's body. Most of these are just for show. It is also understanding physics. But I do agree with others on the list. Breaking helps build confidence. It is not the only way to build confidence, but it is one of many. So here are some observations I have noticed over the years:
  1. If your board looks wet or full of sap, don't use it. You can know how dry they are by the pitch of the wood when you knock it.
  2. If the board has a knot, aim for either just above or below it. It is a weak spot on the board.
  3. If you are setting up a brick break demo, superglue 1/4 inch nuts to the corners of the brick instead of using pencils. Makes setup times a lot quicker.
  4. If you have to bake your bricks, just do it long enough to get the water out. You will know when they are done because if they are not, there will be a big wet spot on the bottom of the brick where the water was coming out. They will also need time to cool off, so make sure to beak them the day before your demo. They hold heat for a long time.
  5. Do not do hard body breaks unless you have had training doing so. There are special focus methods that you need to perform to make sure you don't get hurt.
  6. Whether you are breaking boards, bricks, or if you are going to break something across someone (like a long stick), make sure to completely follow through on the break, otherwise you will increase your chance of hurting yourself and/or the person you are breaking on.
There is other stuff, but these are some big ones. Above all things, just make sure you have proper technique when performing breaks so you don't hurt yourself.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many years ago - we did a demo in a city projects as part of the Mayor's Office community day. One of our guys, in his thirties at the time, had grown up in that project as a kid.
We drilled, showed exercises, sparred....and did some breaking. The breaks were hand held, two or three boards.

One of the project kids (probably 20 years old) was a pain in the you know what. He loudly proclaimed that he could break those three boards, too, because he had a great sucker punch. He knew our guy had grown up there, and was directly barking at him.

So.....our guy took three boards.....placing the grain in the middle one going the wrong way. Oh, man.
I have since trained myself not to smile thinking about it.

For anyone not familiar with breaking - the grain must be going in the same direction.......or the definition of the word "break" changes.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will just say this and then retire from the field.

We don't do breaking of any kind as general rule. We do it for demos when we're invited; we don't even do demos as a general rule. We don't break boards, just pavers. In my case, that amounts to maybe once or twice in two years that I've broken cement pavers.

We buy them at the local Home Depot or Lowes. They cost about a buck apiece. They're 16 inches by 8 inches by 2 inches thick.

We do not 'do' anything to them to prepare them. We buy them, cart them to the demo, and break them. That's it.

We do not use spacers between pavers. We lay them right on top of each other. We put a phone book on top of that, mainly to protect our hands.

I'm not that great at it. I can break three pavers. Many of our students can break much more. Some of them are not as large as me, and I doubt as strong; this to me proves that it's about technique and not raw strength. It's not a parlour trick or I'd be better at it.

It is fun. That is all it is to me. Not something I feel is required for karate, or something that does anything special that you can't get doing other things. It is just fun, different, and can be exciting and entertaining.

At our various demos, we have allowed anyone who wants to step up and try their luck to do so. They get the same concrete we do. We have had some members of the audience successfully break concrete pavers, specifically ONE paver. I have not yet seen a random stranger from the audience break more than one. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I have not seen it.

I have personally broken the same concrete paver that several audience members were unable to break after repeated attempts; unless one wishes to accuse me of lying, this proves that the concrete pavers are not doctored so that audience members can't break them.

I have personally seen the joy and accomplishment on the faces of our younger students when they smash through a concrete paver, so I know it builds confidence. This is not unlike the Marine Corps boot camp Confidence Course which every recruit faces at the beginning and end of boot camp. When they try it in the beginning, they fail miserably. By the end of boot camp, they sail through it. This being why it is called a 'confidence' course. Oh yes, I am also a Marine, unless someone wants to take issue with that as well.

I do not need to break concrete to boost my fragile ego or prove my manhood. I proved whatever it was I may have felt the need to prove as a young man, carrying an M16 in defense of my country. No one can ever take that from me, and evil hateful words mean nothing in my ears; I know who and what I am and my friends stand up for me because they know who and what I am as well.

That's it. I've said my piece. People are free to make accusations, call me names, or attempt to besmirch my character. Too bad for them, it's a reflection on them, not me.

Have a nice day, friends.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions