Travel and Training

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious as to how far students travel (commute) to training on a weekly basis and the duration of class times including frequency? Reason I ask is I'm currently doing a project and hoping to compare it to football, cricket, basketball etc. I thank you all in advance for your participation and expect to get varying results.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our school is a 13.5 miles from my home, according to google maps. I go there three days each week. Two hours of class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 90 minutes on Saturday.

A few times a year I travel about 150 miles to visit and train with our KJN.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My class is 65 miles 1 way. I go 3 days a week on average sometimes more sometimes less. I'm usually there about 3 hours I help teach some classes before my class starts.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My class is 9 miles away, and it takes me around 15-20 minutes to get there, I train twice a week for an hour and a half.

It used to be only 3.5 miles away until I moved, but interestingly it used also used to take 15-20 minus to get there as I had to go though town (all 30mph roads) where as now I can travel straight down the dual carriage way at 60-70mph.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My dojo is 12 miles from my house, and takes me about 40 minutes to get there and back, due primarily to the lack of a highway going that direction; all residential roads. I train twice a week, from approximately 5 PM to approximately 9:30 PM. I help teach two kids classes and then take an adult class as a student.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From work ... it's 25 miles one way. From home ... 9 miles. It doesn't matter. I've driven 70 miles round trip a day before for 3 years 3 times a week to train before. My training brother until literally this month, has done that for the past 3 years at our school & was doing it 5 days a week at one point.

If you want to, you will find that way to do it.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From work it's 15 miles one way
From home the gym is 3.5 miles one way

I travel from work 4 days per week and due to crazy traffic it usually takes me around 45 minutes.

If drive from my flat it takes about 10 - 15 minutes and I do this once a week

Each session lasts a 1 or 1.5 hours and depending on how tough the class was and what's on that evening in the gym, I sometimes chain some sessions together - usually do this for MMA and Boxing once per week, but I have done MMA, Boxing and then Muay Thai a couple of times. Really need the boxing coach not to go too hard on us for that to happen though.

My car broke down and I walked and used the subway in torrential rain for a week which pretty much tripled my commuting time. If that was my only option, I'd still go 5 times a week

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm lucky with my current situation in that my gym is only about a 10 minute drive away. I usually go 4-5 times a week for 2-3 hours at a time.

In the past I've had longer commutes - up to 30-40 minutes each way. I've also travelled hundreds of miles for seminars on a number of occasions.

OP
RowdyAz

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all, that's exactly the information I am after. A big thing the responses show so far is dedication/ passion for what you all do. To juggle work / family and other commitments and still maintain a training schedule can be a tough slog at times as we know.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Coach was training in townsville once a week for a while there.

About 300kilometres

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to go 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or so of training and it was only a 5 min drive :) I really should've trained more. After moving and doing some traveling, I haven't trained in about 2 months. I'll hopefully get back into a class today. It's a 20-30 min drive for an hour or two of training and my plan is to train at least three times a week now. I'll see how that plays out. As you said, it's not easy to juggle both work and family commitments.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Wyoming I commuted about 80 miles roundtrip. I did 3 days per week for training (2 hour sessions).

When I started doing kali I commuted 450 miles once or twice per month to get lessons from my instructor.

Right now I am completely spoiled as my class is 3 minutes driving away from my house, it helps being the instructor. :D

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our Dojang is close to the house and kids' school. I train with my son twice a week on the way home from school and go back once a week after dinner for sparring class. I also hit the local Y in the morning on my way to work and do 2 or so bag sessions a week there (or in the backyard depending on weather....my bag is outside)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
About 10 minutes by bike. About 12-15 hours a week training, less if teaching that week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk