Training Methods?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a video posted that was called a secret weapon. It was a video of two guys doing speed drills with paddle kicking. Is this not a basic standard drill at all TKD schools? I know that in northern California and most schools that I have visited that do Olympic Style Sparring it is. Now we tend to only visit and train with schools that do what we do so it may be that many of the things that we see as basics and standards are not in some schools.

Are there some things that you have seen that you don't do in your schools as training tools. This is for TKD. Not other arts like BJJ or MMA, even though I think a lot of those things translate over and can be great tools as well. I have been in many TKD schools and to me they all seem to do the same things. Maybe they don't emphasize the same things but they all seem to at least have the same Training Methods.

Thoughts and experiences?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a video posted that was called a secret weapon. It was a video of two guys doing speed drills with paddle kicking. Is this not a basic standard drill at all TKD schools? I know that in northern California and most schools that I have visited that do Olympic Style Sparring it is. Now we tend to only visit and train with schools that do what we do so it may be that many of the things that we see as basics and standards are not in some schools.

Are there some things that you have seen that you don't do in your schools as training tools. This is for TKD. Not other arts like BJJ or MMA, even though I think a lot of those things translate over and can be great tools as well. I have been in many TKD schools and to me they all seem to do the same things. Maybe they don't emphasize the same things but they all seem to at least have the same Training Methods.

Well in the dojang of my master we don't have elite competitor so the kicking drills are not as fantastic, I know in Mexico City in the dojang of one of my master's son they have a special class for elithe competitors.

The class I teach is nothing like the the one we saw in the video clips so sometimes I wonder if I am teaching truly TKD cause I don't tecah thos lighting and fantastic kicking drills, however some times I do reflections and my way of thinking is that not every one has the capabilities or the time to train like a elithe champion, so yes, my TKD class may be poor on kicking drills but rich in the other things like poomsae, self defense, and somethings more.

Manny

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assumed that the "Secret Weapon" was the coach, not the fact that they're doing kicking drills on paddles. The Coach's name figured prominently in the clip, IIRC, and was on the back of the shirts the people were wearing.

Pax,

Chris

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't touch one step sparring-at least not scripted one steps. Those are the best way to destroy an athlete's timing.

Other than that my training is probably like yours, conventional sport taekwondo.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assumed that the "Secret Weapon" was the coach, not the fact that they're doing kicking drills on paddles. The Coach's name figured prominently in the clip, IIRC, and was on the back of the shirts the people were wearing.

Pax,

Chris

This was my impression too.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris

This was my impression too.

Yep, secret weapon meant the coach. He appeared in the papers in the UK as Jade's Secret Weapon, because she credited him with having mimicked the Chinese competitor's style during their training.

Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also, we do this kind of paddle drilling to, but I thought that video was a pretty exceptional example of speed and athleticism, which is why I posted it :)

Gnarlie

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATC I posted it not because it was a secret but because I liked the speed and timing and distance he was using. Yes we do paddle drills almost everyday but alot of the smaller clubs down herein Texas does not. So I thought I would share them on facebook. Paddle drills, ladder drills and timing drills have never been a secret but they are not use in so many schools. Come on you know this by some of the compettitors that goes to tournaments and get beaten so easily. He is a good instructor and a good coach.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't get past the fact it is Paul Green and what he did to Aaron Cook!

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
....Paddle drills, ladder drills and timing drills have never been a secret but they are not use in so many schools. Come on you know this by some of the compettitors that goes to tournaments and get beaten so easily. He is a good instructor and a good coach.
I really did not know that most schools don't do these types of drills. These drills are considered the basics at all the schools that I have come from and train with. There is really no other way to develope rapid kicking kick speed, timing and distance making. Yes there are bad fighters but I just think they don't want to put in the time and work to be good so they get destroyed in the ring when the rubber meets the road. I guess my eyes have been opened.

I have heard some say that only there elite comp team do these type of drills and that they don't do them in regular classes. I also found that strange as well. As we don't do them daily in regular class and maybe not as focused on them but we do teach them to all our students. At least once a week all regular students will do these types of drills. We have a sparring class for all regular students once a week and we may simply warm up with these types of drills.

I know see why we have gotten a influx of students from a couple of schools around us. We have recently gotten maybe 8 or so students from 3 schools in our area. One I posted about but the others I have not as they are not in my classes as they take the early classes so I have not talked to them. Intresting indeed.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really did not know that most schools don't do these types of drills. These drills are considered the basics at all the schools that I have come from and train with. There is really no other way to develope rapid kicking kick speed, timing and distance making. Yes there are bad fighters but I just think they don't want to put in the time and work to be good so they get destroyed in the ring when the rubber meets the road. I guess my eyes have been opened.

I have heard some say that only there elite comp team do these type of drills and that they don't do them in regular classes. I also found that strange as well. As we don't do them daily in regular class and maybe not as focused on them but we do teach them to all our students. At least once a week all regular students will do these types of drills. We have a sparring class for all regular students once a week and we may simply warm up with these types of drills.

I know see why we have gotten a influx of students from a couple of schools around us. We have recently gotten maybe 8 or so students from 3 schools in our area. One I posted about but the others I have not as they are not in my classes as they take the early classes so I have not talked to them. Intresting indeed.

I would have to say you are spot on, we have gotten several new students from one particular chain of school. Mainly because we keep beating there fighters here, the parents have said we are way more advancein our training than ther previous school. That kinda floored me as well but like I said not everybody really understands what it takes to get to the top.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris

The video seems to be promoting a website where "never seen before" methods and techniques will be on display. I hope there are other methods than the ones shown in the video. Those drills are nice, but not new. In fact, I think I saw similar drills in a Sang H. Kim video many years ago.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Those drills are nice, but not new. In fact, I think I saw similar drills in a Sang H. Kim video many years ago.
I have a few of his book and DVDs, Sang H. Kim is very good. TKD has not really changed all that much, not even the so called Olympic TKD sparring. Even the if the coach is the secret weapon as some have said, I don't think that is the case, as he really did not do anything any different from any other coach, his athlete just happen to win. That mean she simply was better on that day.

Now I am not saying that he is not a top shelf coach, he clearly is, but at that level all the coaches are top self. Just as all the training methods are the same.

Latest Discussions