Training Methods Old School vs. New School

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well no, your point is similar to saying there is nothing in a modern gym that will help you kick a football harder, as there is no football kicking machine. You can develop all the muscles in the,chain,But the only way to put them all together is to kick a,football. You can do develop all the muscles used in that twist, but the only way to develop the muscles to work together ie skill to throw is to throw something

but your not catching the point I'm making, i hate modern gyms they are all glass and chrome and i hate the people who use them, they are all Lycra and iPods

you can use a modern gym and old training methodologies and get nowhere fast, just as you can use modern methodologies' and old equipment and build impressive improvement in performance

I'm heavily in to body weight exercise and there arnt many older exercises than that, its what you do and when for how long and how many, that needs to be designed using modern understanding of how to increase physical performance
Nice generalization of people there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice generalization of people there.
pretty accurate though, there are also a good % of young men in gym shark tshirts and beats head phones, as soon as you see them you know they are,about to do something stupid.

anyone who buys,expensive clothes to look good in the gym is not my sort of person or rather anyone,who cares what they look like whilst they they should be,concentrating on improving is not my sort and probably won't improve much either as they spend most of there time admiring themselves in all the mirrors filming themselves, updating their Instagram account and chatting up young ladies in Lycra.
its,a bit like,a disco only with a few,running machines and,a,squat rack thrown in

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty accurate though, there are also a good % of young men in gym shark tshirts and beats head phones, as soon as you see them you know they are,about to do something stupid.

anyone who buys,expensive clothes to look good in the gym is not my sort of person or rather anyone,who cares what they look like whilst they they should be,concentrating on improving is not my sort and probably won't improve much either as they spend most of there time admiring themselves in all the mirrors filming themselves, updating their Instagram account and chatting up young ladies in Lycra.
its,a bit like,a disco only with a few,running machines and,a,squat rack thrown in
That's the generalization I'm talking about. Many people buy stuff for the gym, because what's in their closet wouldn't be functional there. And if they are buying, why not buy what they feel good in? Who does that hurt?

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's the generalization I'm talking about. Many people buy stuff for the gym, because what's in their closet wouldn't be functional there. And if they are buying, why not buy what they feel good in? Who does that hurt?

I remember reading a study about people are starting to train, and that buying the "new clothes", etc was a healthy thing for them, because it committed them to the activity. Just like at our school (Jiu-Jitsu), guys / girls are always buying new rashguards, gis, etc because it makes them feel good and inspires them.

I understand the general fitness selfie crowd who only cares about showing off to each other; but for people are just "want to feel good for themselves" - there's nothing wrong with that sexy gi :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
true if they don't own any old tshirts, but that seems unlikely. Most will have lots of functional gym clothes, but go and buy flash gym clothes. What's wrong with it ?it shows them to be shallow and appearance obsessed , and not the type of person i want to be in close confined with,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true if they don't own any old tshirts, but that seems unlikely. Most will have lots of functional gym clothes, but go and buy flash gym clothes. What's wrong with it ?it shows them to be shallow and appearance obsessed , and not the type of person i want to be in close confined with,
I'd be one who didn't, if I hadn't bought clothes for the gym. I have only a few t-shirts that would be appropriate (I never wear them, unless working in the yard), other than the ones I bought specifically for going to the gym/runnning. The same goes for shorts (I almost never wear those anymore, except for exercising). I know others whose old t-shirts have been used when painting their house and other activities that leave them less-than-nice. So they want something new. If lycra, or tech fabric, or bright pink paisley suits their fancy, it has no real bearing on their personality.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd be one who didn't, if I hadn't bought clothes for the gym. I have only a few t-shirts that would be appropriate (I never wear them, unless working in the yard), other than the ones I bought specifically for going to the gym/runnning. The same goes for shorts (I almost never wear those anymore, except for exercising). I know others whose old t-shirts have been used when painting their house and other activities that leave them less-than-nice. So they want something new. If lycra, or tech fabric, or bright pink paisley suits their fancy, it has no real bearing on their personality.
in what way does having paint on them make them unsuitable for exercise. There is a considerable difference between buy some shorts and a couple of shirts and spending top dollar on designer clobber to get all sweaty in, yes being that self obsessed says a lot about them.
down at the big boys spit and saw dust gym where serious folk go to work out its all combat pants and washed out hoodies with the sleeves gut of. No one is looking at their clothes only their lifts and maybe their traps. They save their nice gear for Saturday night

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in what way does having paint on them make them unsuitable for exercise. There is a considerable difference between buy some shorts and a couple of shirts and spending top dollar on designer clobber to get all sweaty in, yes being that self obsessed says a lot about them.
down at the big boys spit and saw dust gym where serious folk go to work out its all combat pants and washed out hoodies with the sleeves gut of. No one is looking at their clothes only their lifts and maybe their traps. They save their nice gear for Saturday night
Many of us just don't like going out in public in stuff that's covered in paint. We'd rather drop $10 on something that looks better. You're assuming they are all spending big money on that gear, but I have similar stuff, and I almost never spend more than $10 on anything athletic, unless it's martial arts gear or shoes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, most of those folks choose those clothes for what they look like in them, too. They want to fit in or stand out, just like the folks at the shiny gym.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way, most of those folks choose those clothes for what they look like in them, too. They want to fit in or stand out, just like the folks at the shiny gym.
no they wear combats and old hoodies most of the time, but if they are using what they have rather than spending big just to show off, that shows them as a good person, nb you can't dress to fit in and stand out at the same time?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many of us just don't like going out in public in stuff that's covered in paint. We'd rather drop $10 on something that looks better. You're assuming they are all spending big money on that gear, but I have similar stuff, and I almost never spend more than $10 on anything athletic, unless it's martial arts gear or shoes.
then why are you arguing with me, its people spending bog on designer gear to go to the gym with that i have an objection to as showing them to be,self obsessed

i buy a fair bit of everlast stuff, as its not a fashion label over here, you can pick it up for buttons as discount stores but not for exercise u till it jiggered

but i dig my sleeveless hoodie and combat pants out for ma lessons

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember reading a study about people are starting to train, and that buying the "new clothes", etc was a healthy thing for them, because it committed them to the activity. Just like at our school (Jiu-Jitsu), guys / girls are always buying new rashguards, gis, etc because it makes them feel good and inspires them.

I understand the general fitness selfie crowd who only cares about showing off to each other; but for people are just "want to feel good for themselves" - there's nothing wrong with that sexy gi :)
its certainly a lie people tell themselves when they are thinking of signing up to an expensive gym or buying a mountain bike or what have you.

I'm very doubtful it works in the majority of cases, the UK spend on fitness apparel and equipment is many billions, but the number of people that have a good standard of fitness is quite a low %. So it ether its a few people buying multiple running shoes Lycra and bicycles or there are a lot of people buying them and not using them.

every January, my local park is full of fat people in brand new track suits and running shoes, jogging and painting their way round the park. By feb they have all gone, not to be seen again .
every Easter my local woods is full of fat people in Lycra and brand new mountain bikes, by June they have all disappeared. Somewhere there are a lot of underused running shoes and bicycles

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no they wear combats and old hoodies most of the time, but if they are using what they have rather than spending big just to show off, that shows them as a good person, nb you can't dress to fit in and stand out at the same time?
Do you think they just stumble into those clothes? They own them because they've chosen that look. And, yes, you can both fit in and stand out. Someone in bright-colored tech fabric will do both in many shiny gyms. That same outfit will only stand out (not fit in) at a gym where sweats are more common.

And clothing really doesn't tell you nearly as much about a person's character in that way as you claim.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then why are you arguing with me, its people spending bog on designer gear to go to the gym with that i have an objection to as showing them to be,self obsessed

i buy a fair bit of everlast stuff, as its not a fashion label over here, you can pick it up for buttons as discount stores but not for exercise u till it jiggered

but i dig my sleeveless hoodie and combat pants out for ma lessons
I just pointed out that you are making rash generalizations based upon your perception of their clothing. You started arguing the point.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah but i went and tie dyed my gi.

And I look fabulous.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing Hung Kyun for the past 3yrs and Ive learned alot especially some old school training methods and some new school ones. the reason im bringing this topic up is due to the fact that every thing i have seen nowa days in traditional martial arts schools live up to the "glorious" histry that came before these arts were given a name and i want to know why that is.

There is a standard of ethics on keeping things traditional and that should be true and practiced for all types of martial arts and training methods but also expanding and learning new modern methods or techniques and blending both into programs that work for people's body types actual physical condition they are in as well, and generally broadening knowledge and staying up to date and current as well as mastering the old methods.

Keeping a record and documentation of both old and new methods is wise.

So many examples I could elaborate on here, but lets look at one

The Neck Conditioning - Stretching and Strengthening methods-

Example 1

Critical Neck Training for Boxers - STRENGTH SENSEI

Example 2

Note:- For anything that you do you need professional guidance and supervision with proper instruction on how to.

I have read links like this on this topic over the last few years:- MODERN VS OLD SCHOOL - What's your vibe?

People with an education Degree in Sports Science embracing new technologies are also advancing athletes in various sports and overall performance.

As an example -

I love all this stuff really interesting and impressive with new labs and tech as well as software programs being written and used to determine many aspects of brain functions heart rate motion sensing etc

Exciting for sure! ;)

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would working on a farm make you tough? All it means is you can lift some hay and milk some cows doesn't mean you can fight

I think the overall point was that in previous generations the average person was used to hard labor and had built a good amount of strength from that labor. Today, for the most part, we don't see that in the average student.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah but i went and tie dyed my gi.

And I look fabulous.

no .. you look like the Grateful dead bear
bear.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the overall point was that in previous generations the average person was used to hard labor and had built a good amount of strength from that labor. Today, for the most part, we don't see that in the average student.
how many generations,are you going back? Mechanisation has been progressively reducing hard labour for about 300 years, its been a good while since farmers ploughed by hand

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many generations,are you going back? Mechanisation has been progressively reducing hard labour for about 300 years, its been a good while since farmers ploughed by hand
Yes, but an agricultural life was still pretty labor-intensive 100 years ago. Still is, in many cases, though less so than it was. And most people worked doing some sort of physical labor, much of which has become less physical than it was 100 years ago.

Latest Discussions