Old School Sparring

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Upland (So. Cal) Kajukenbo school held a old school style tournament this past sunday.
Traditional kata competition, no music, no costumes, no back flips. And some old school hard contact continuous sparring.
Everyone was told in advance that the sparring would be hard contact, even the point matches.
The kata competition was pretty big, but when it came time to fight all the white gi's left the building.
Other then one gutsy girl, the only ones who stayed to fight were the Kenpo and Kajukenbo people.
Everyone enjoyed the chance to get away from the highly regulated games of tag that some tournaments have become. No politics, no instructors arguing with refs about points. Just hard core sparring and brotherhood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, the BKF puts out some tough fighters, no doubt about it

they used to give me fits when i was fighting out there in the early 90's

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice. what i signed up for and is so hard to find these days. Wish i and some of the other students could have made it.

Respect

Marlon

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds fun. Now days all sparring is is a game of glorified tag. When I was coming up through the lower ranks at my school we sparred pretty darn hard. All we used were hand pads and a mouth guard. Everything else was optional. We would kick using either our regular shoes or bare feet. No groin protector was required. Just hand pads and mouth guard. On top of all that we sparred on a carpet that was just laid over a concrete floor. And this carpet was VERY thin, no padding at all. Those were the good ole' days. :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds fun. Now days all sparring is is a game of glorified tag. When I was coming up through the lower ranks at my school we sparred pretty darn hard. All we used were hand pads and a mouth guard. Everything else was optional. We would kick using either our regular shoes or bare feet. No groin protector was required. Just hand pads and mouth guard. On top of all that we sparred on a carpet that was just laid over a concrete floor. And this carpet was VERY thin, no padding at all. Those were the good ole' days. :)
Sounds like my story except that I had to walk 12 miles to school barefoot in the snow every morning after doing 3 hours of chores.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like my story except that I had to walk 12 miles to school barefoot in the snow every morning after doing 3 hours of chores.

Well ours was uphill both ways, and they made us wear broken glass for shoes.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Upland (So. Cal) Kajukenbo school held a old school style tournament this past sunday.
Traditional kata competition, no music, no costumes, no back flips. And some old school hard contact continuous sparring.
Everyone was told in advance that the sparring would be hard contact, even the point matches.
The kata competition was pretty big, but when it came time to fight all the white gi's left the building.
Other then one gutsy girl, the only ones who stayed to fight were the Kenpo and Kajukenbo people.
Everyone enjoyed the chance to get away from the highly regulated games of tag that some tournaments have become. No politics, no instructors arguing with refs about points. Just hard core sparring and brotherhood.

Hey Profeesor,
I think it's just to hard to wash blood out of a white gi! After all, there was no disqual for drawing blood. Hell, the matches I judged, I gave points for drawing blood!!!
icon10.gif

Last edited by a moderator: