Old School vs. New School

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I find myself degrading the open forms competitors as martial artists and considering them more acrobats. Sorry guys, but, from what I've seen, that's what it is. I hardly ever see an open forms competitor also compete in any type of fighting competition. I actually consider it more a "forms school" or "fighting school" type of argument.

As for stars and colors, My school recently (last year, which is still recent against 20 years of being around) started using gold stars as a way to motivate students to do well on tests. I was against it at first. But as said before in this topic, if it increases involvment and interest in the art, why not. We are also soon going to ad a bit of color to our uniforms. I'd have to argue after these chenges being introduced to my school, that they do not damage the art as long as you have a strong foundation in tradition. It just takes a good instructor and a willing pupil, the rest is just cosmetic.

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no problem using fancy uniforms as part of a demonstration team. Demonstration teams by definition showcase the flashier aspects of a martial art (i.e. jumping/flying breaks, multi-opponent self defense). However, I do object to using "creative" forms for demos or tournaments. Forms have a special place in Tae Kwon Do, a stabilizing aspect. They are supposed to show gracefulness, power, and teach the application of technique. You start adding backflips, cartwheels, jumping spin kicks, and fancty techniques just for the sake of doing it and it is no longer form-it is showboating.
What would impress me is a student who has practiced a form to an extent that he or she is able to demonstrate everything a form is supposed to convey-graceful step, accuracy, control of body mechanics, and exact application of technique. Believe me, I don't see it very often. A demonstration that makes you say "So that's what that form is showing." Whenever I see these young'uns doing acrobatic and "creative" (made up) forms, I feel like changing the channel. It's like a Burger King meal-tastes good at the time, but isn't healthy.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think in theory open form competition is not a bad idea. Unfortunately when the idea is applied it turns into a contest to see who can yell the loudest, do the most/highest jump kicks, and how far above head level you can throw a round kick. I think part of the problem is the judges. All they need to do is consistantly give the lowest scores to the people who showboat.

When I was talking about black belts being allowed to create their own forms however, I was not talking about allowing them to do the forms in competition, only as a personal thing and as part of their testing alongside their traditional black belt form as a way to test the black belt's knowledge and grasp of the techniques.

Latest Discussions