Training methodology

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not true, not everyone believes Aikido is about pacifism Etc. There are plenty of aikido teachers who train and teach it for real defense
I have no doubt they exist. We have one on this forum, I believe. But I also think those teachers are exceptions to the rule. But there's a whole lot of "art of peace" stuff that came from Ueshiba.

That said, maybe pacifism isn't the right word. How would you characterize the core philosophy of non-violence in Aikido?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have no doubt they exist. We have one on this forum, I believe. But I also think those teachers are exceptions to the rule. But there's a whole lot of "art of peace" stuff that came from Ueshiba.

That said, maybe pacifism isn't the right word. How would you characterize the core philosophy of non-violence in Aikido?
I don’t think they are an exception so much as see the methodology different, what’s the point of a martial art if you can’t use it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are approaches and methodologies in training in some martial systems that do not fit the mainstream image of what a martial method looks like, especially for those brought up on a heavy diet of MMA. The system that I train happens to be one of these systems that has an “unusual” look to it.

That is fine. It simply lies outside the experience for most people, and they won’t understand it through internet discussions. Perhaps if they took some significant time and trained it with an open mind, they might have a chance at understanding it, even if they ultimately decide it is not the right approach for them. These systems are often somewhat rare, so most folks never get the chance to do that, even if they manage to open their minds to the experience.

So the bottom line is, there are lots of systems that do train for fighting/combat/self-defensive use, but a lot of people cannot understand how it works and so assume that these are examples of systems that are practiced purely for exercise and “self-improvement” (whatever that means) and whatnot.

And so we have lots of endless and meaningless debates.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don’t think they are an exception so much as see the methodology different, what’s the point of a martial art if you can’t use it.
People train for different reasons. We hear that around here all the time. But I’m with you. If you want to learn to fight, you’d hope there’s some fighting going on. :)