Grappling Hands

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a very short video introduction on how I move from the wrist , elbow then shoulder so I can move in close before striking,

A fun thing to do is to spin someone by pressing the elbow and the opposite shoulder at the same time. Press into, for example, the left shoulder blade while scooping down (or up) and moving the opposite elbow across center. You can often change someone's facing and get their back very quickly this way.

I guess that sort of violates the "chasing center" rule somewhat...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the way that you slide your hand from the wrist gate to the elbow gate.

When your opponent moves back his left shoulder, uses his left hand to deal with your right hand push, he gives you his right shoulder at that moment. This is one of my favor tricks by attacking my opponent's left shoulder, what I really want is his right shoulder - cheating strategy, attack left and obtain right.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your objective?
That inside line does give you a few options. Striking if you close off the other side. Especially elbows. Or getting under the arm with either an underhook or a duck under.

The issue is it relies on the other guy flairing their elbows. Which is hard to make anyone good do.

So the wrestling version.

But if they were that loosey goosey you could strike from there or do a bunch of standing restraints.

Otherwise an unrestricted line between their head and your hand is a good thing.

Last edited:

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like the way that you slide your hand from the wrist gate to the elbow gate.

When your opponent moves back his left shoulder, uses his left hand to deal with your right hand push, he gives you his right shoulder at that moment. This is one of my favor tricks by attacking my opponent's left shoulder, what I really want is his right shoulder - cheating strategy, attack left and obtain right.
Only if he does not use his footwork to change the angle and stay to the outside of the right arm. To stay WC his left hand should also Jut the elbow of the right arm which will negate the left shoulder control. My comments are on the position. I am not commenting of the drill itself.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only if he does not use his footwork to ...
We all agree and know that if you push my left shoulder, I step back and remain distance, none of your technique will work on me.

Sometime I don't want to step back and I want to take advantage on your push. You also want to take advantage on my respond. Interested techniques exchange can happen here.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever train your drill by starting your wrist control this way?

correct_wrist_grip.png

Last edited:

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We all agree and know that if you push my left shoulder, I step back and remain distance, none of your technique will work on me.

Sometime I don't want to step back and I want to take advantage on your push. You also want to take advantage on my respond. Interested techniques exchange can happen here.
I understand. I was not being clear. I am stepping to change distance only angle and get to outside of right arm. Very content to leave left shoulder where it is in the example