Training methodology

Forwardpower

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new to this Forum. I was looking for some inside from some fellow Wing Chun practitioner.

Since I was mentioned in the Challenge from Rokas I got a lot of comments to say the least.

Most of them are from people in other martial arts which do not know the system and think I adapted or modified the stile to make it work. And others are from Wing Chun practitioner who think that it's not Wing Chun at all. Both are wierd to me, since I've never done anything other than Wing Chun the way I learned it. I mean, I see a clear difference to other lineages and I already knew that Applied Wing Chun is kind of an outlier, but everything I do is as far as I know just WC.

As I mentioned to Rokas, I was confused when I visited other schools and saw no conditioning, timing drills and so on. I don't get how anybody is supposed to learn apply WC without proper the training.

I see a lot of WC guys try to apply basic stuff without success since their timing, distance and foremost handling of pressure is way of. Also most seem to lack any strategy for recovering. Which is no wonder since I saw how WC is usually taught.

I think the training methodology is key to learning effective WC. Solid fundation from the forms, footwork, knowledge of how to generate power, basic applications, back and forth drills with pressure testing and light sparring goes a long way without having to compete in real fights.

I don't think everybody has to become a price fighter but at least everybody should have a feeling for timing, distance and how to handle some pressure.

So what does your training methodology look like? I'm honestly curious how other make sure that they are able to apply their WC.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new to this Forum. I was looking for some inside from some fellow Wing Chun practitioner.

Since I was mentioned in the Challenge from Rokas I got a lot of comments to say the least.

Most of them are from people in other martial arts which do not know the system and think I adapted or modified the stile to make it work. And others are from Wing Chun practitioner who think that it's not Wing Chun at all. Both are wierd to me, since I've never done anything other than Wing Chun the way I learned it. I mean, I see a clear difference to other lineages and I already knew that Applied Wing Chun is kind of an outlier, but everything I do is as far as I know just WC.

As I mentioned to Rokas, I was confused when I visited other schools and saw no conditioning, timing drills and so on. I don't get how anybody is supposed to learn apply WC without proper the training.

I see a lot of WC guys try to apply basic stuff without success since their timing, distance and foremost handling of pressure is way of. Also most seem to lack any strategy for recovering. Which is no wonder since I saw how WC is usually taught.

I think the training methodology is key to learning effective WC. Solid fundation from the forms, footwork, knowledge of how to generate power, basic applications, back and forth drills with pressure testing and light sparring goes a long way without having to compete in real fights.

I don't think everybody has to become a price fighter but at least everybody should have a feeling for timing, distance and how to handle some pressure.

So what does your training methodology look like? I'm honestly curious how other make sure that they are able to apply their WC.

Welcome to the forum!

I had a very similar experience when I first ventured out to another lineages school.

OP
Forwardpower

Forwardpower

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I had a very similar experience when I first ventured out to another lineages school.
Thank you!
It was wierd seeing other methods of teaching WC. But i never got a straight answer how they think someone is supposed to learn distance, timing ect. without training for it.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you!
It was wierd seeing other methods of teaching WC. But i never got a straight answer how they think someone is supposed to learn distance, timing ect. without training for it.
Neither did I. But their wing chun didn't seem to be combat focused, so maybe they didn't want to admit it to a fellow wing chun brother?
Either way, I'm glad and grateful my wing chun upbringing was highly focused on pressure testing.

OP
Forwardpower

Forwardpower

White Belt
Reaction score
Neither did I. But their wing chun didn't seem to be combat focused, so maybe they didn't want to admit it to a fellow wing chun brother?
Either way, I'm glad and grateful my wing chun upbringing was highly focused on pressure testing.
I asked myself the same. Either way, it seems that i'm not getting the feedback i was hoping for. I thought, maybe naively, that i would get some insight here since I saw that there are many lineages active on this site. I honestly want to know what their training looks like and why. Maybe they are after completely other results, which would explain the different approach and they achieve it efficiently with their method of training. Well it was worth a shot i guess🤷

Since you seem to answer may i ask what your training looks like?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I asked myself the same. Either way, it seems that i'm not getting the feedback i was hoping for. I thought, maybe naively, that i would get some insight here since I saw that there are many lineages active on this site. I honestly want to know what their training looks like and why. Maybe they are after completely other results, which would explain the different approach and they achieve it efficiently with their method of training. Well it was worth a shot i guess🤷

Since you seem to answer may i ask what your training looks like?
Well hopefully you stick around. It would be nice to have another opinion on this forum.
By the way, I saw the video with your other fight and it was great to see you get a lot of use of your pole punch (or arrow punch). Well done!

My training involved a ton of conditioning, power training, speed training, two man drills, circle training, etc etc.

OP
Forwardpower

Forwardpower

White Belt
Reaction score
I think we could start a support group. Common element between us?
😅 maybe we should, or atleast exchange some ideas
Well hopefully you stick around. It would be nice to have another opinion on this forum.
By the way, I saw the video with your other fight and it was great to see you get a lot of use of your pole punch (or arrow punch). Well done!

My training involved a ton of conditioning, power training, speed training, two man drills, circle training, etc etc.
Thank you! The arrow punch turned out to be a strong point in my fights. The feedback from the opponents where always that they where hard to stop, since they come straight and with the vertical fist. So I focused a lot on putting power in those.
Mine too.

Where are you represented in the posted video
I'm the second guy with "Applied Wing Chun"
I think this may be it but I'm not 100%
Yes that's me👍 but this particular fight was a mess. Wasn't really ready for the fight since I accepted it way to late. Forgot to kick somehow. Idk.😅

I think I'll stick around for a while👌

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score

I am only SLT level in VC so I want to start with that. However in my limited experience with "proper" VC training, I think VC is going to be different for every Sifu. Some Sifu learn some things very well and build their system around that. Some folks buy a few posters and videos and open a school teach "a streamlined combative name here".

VC is different from place to place. Some folks will have a more fisticuffs version while others have more Biu Jee based system.

I think it is all based on preference and to some degree, ignorance.

OP
Forwardpower

Forwardpower

White Belt
Reaction score
VC is different from place to place. Some folks will have a more fisticuffs version while others have more Biu Jee based system.

I think it is all based on preference and to some degree, ignorance.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not quite sure what you're saying. I was wondering what your training looks like and what the goal of it is. So i can make sense of it. Since i'm coming from a Lineage that focuses on application of the Art the training method is tailored to it. Which means pressure testing, condidtioning and so on...

And what does Biu Jee based mean?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don’t understand this modern concept of that’s not wing Chun if you add this or that...a Wing Chun or JKD channel I like on YouTube named Adam Chan, he mentioned how Wing Chun guys would test and adapt the art, one guy fought and beat a boxer and adapted a lot 9f boxing...I believe Bruce Lee did that too.

As the OP said lot of the issues with wing Chun schools are that there’s no conditioning or as you said no adaptation. Another channel On YouTube that’s great is Philip Hartshorn, his Sifu has a channel too, Russ Cichon

I don’t dislike Rokas but I also don’t see who he or guys like Ramsay dewy are to act as though they are the judge and jury of the MA world.

Latest Discussions