Training Mask

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I would ask on here as there seems to be split opinions on whether mask like the one in the vid work. Initially I thought there would be some heightened oxygen levels being absorbed. Apparently though that is not the case. Jerome Pena is on a reduced supply. Some of you may have seen to content already, but surely deliberately training on a reduced oxygen supply would be quite dangerous. This guy is obviously uber fit, but would anybody be risking a black out by training in this way, even if you handle the intensity. More to the point, does it actually work? Any members on here done this, or something similar.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search function is your friend.

Short version. They're crap. There is no benefit to using them. None.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm guessing it stems from the old belief that training in low oxygen environments ie. up mountains, increases your stamina etc. check out the fight quest boxing episode, they're in Mexico and one of them gets sent to train at a centre in high altitude for that exact reason. Would post link but too early in the morning... That's my excuse, anyways!

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it stems from the old belief that training in low oxygen environments ie. up mountains, increases your stamina etc. check out the fight quest boxing episode, they're in Mexico and one of them gets sent to train at a centre in high altitude for that exact reason. Would post link but too early in the morning... That's my excuse, anyways!

Seen that one. Good series, shame it got canned. Aside from pro cyclists specializing in climbing, did not think too many athletes did high altitude work. Peddling would be vastly different to the output the guy in the was doing. Well being a cyclist myself, the pockets of recovery differ over smashing a bag. Find it strange that lower oxygen in this context would be of any benefit. Hence why I was curious if anybody around here has actually tried it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK... one more time...

Air has exactly the same oxygen content - 21% - regardless of the altitude.

Air pressure changes with altitude. Mixture does not.

These masks do NOT, in any way, shape, or form, simulate training at altitude.
The only think they simulate is training during an asthma attack, which is a pretty stupid thing to do.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK... one more time...

Air has exactly the same oxygen content - 21% - regardless of the altitude.

Air pressure changes with altitude. Mixture does not.

These masks do NOT, in any way, shape, or form, simulate training at altitude.
The only think they simulate is training during an asthma attack, which is a pretty stupid thing to do.

Yeah sorry Professor. Mind you, one thing they do is make you sick apparently. So a person won't breathe or exhale any more amount so the oxygen thing won't work, but from what I have been told the body can be forced to use the oxygen more efficiantly. He used one for his Rugby. Fainted a few times at first, but reckoned his fitness and recovery improved. Found that out this morning.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
These seem impractical for most people. Maybe they could benefit a high level athlete (evidently not though, according to other opinions here). Either way, do you find sprints, calisthenics, and workouts don't tire you or make it hard for you to breathe? People having had success training without these things for centuries. There are no short cuts, if you want to get stronger train harder. I've seen guys wear these at my gym, they're also the guys who don't regularly train. It's a joke to me, and if there aren't an studies to prove their effectiveness it's a gimmick.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They will make you feel like you are getting a harder workout, but you're not getting any of the claimed benefits. Real altitude training does increase VO2 Max, but these masks do not. As for the video... yikes... glad I've never given Venom any of my money.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is my coaches take on it.

Yeah man, few different theories on it. It's supposed to make your body work (or apparently work) with a reduced level of oxygen available. This meaning that if you can keep the intensity as high as possible with about 50% less oxygen, your conditioning is much much better with normal access to air. Therefore it helps your body process oxygen into the bloodstream as efficiently and effectively as possible. It's had people claim that because you're gasping for breaths when wearing it and labouring to keep filling your lungs up, it strengthens your lungs also... I've found it to do a couple of those things but I haven't measured test results.

Personally, I've liked it for the mental challenge that comes with keeping your breathing under control as much as possible. If you start to panic or lose your breathing rhythm, it's very hard not to rip the thing off...

On the negative side, I've heard some people say that they reckon it trains your body to only work at about 75% of its optimal output because you're not utilising every bit of your lung capacity. They reckon that because your purposely handicapping yourself, you're repetitively practicing working at 75% of your max...

I like it, but it needs to be used on and off doing the same routines so you have the best of both scenarios...

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is my coaches take on it.

Yeah man, few different theories on it. It's supposed to make your body work (or apparently work) with a reduced level of oxygen available. This meaning that if you can keep the intensity as high as possible with about 50% less oxygen, your conditioning is much much better with normal access to air. Therefore it helps your body process oxygen into the bloodstream as efficiently and effectively as possible. It's had people claim that because you're gasping for breaths when wearing it and labouring to keep filling your lungs up, it strengthens your lungs also... I've found it to do a couple of those things but I haven't measured test results.

Personally, I've liked it for the mental challenge that comes with keeping your breathing under control as much as possible. If you start to panic or lose your breathing rhythm, it's very hard not to rip the thing off...

On the negative side, I've heard some people say that they reckon it trains your body to only work at about 75% of its optimal output because you're not utilising every bit of your lung capacity. They reckon that because your purposely handicapping yourself, you're repetitively practicing working at 75% of your max...

I like it, but it needs to be used on and off doing the same routines so you have the best of both scenarios...
Never heard of the down-side purported factor before. The All Blacks would always head out to South Africa as far ahead of the game as possible to increase their capacity at high altitude training. High altitude training is common. As with anything, even like the training vid, you work up to it in intensity; few laps round the park first day, gradually building up to full intensity to avoid the killer headaches and passing out - only going on what I have read about this. But it makes perfect sense from climbing and acclimatisation.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought I would ask on here as there seems to be split opinions on whether mask like the one in the vid work. Initially I thought there would be some heightened oxygen levels being absorbed. Apparently though that is not the case. Jerome Pena is on a reduced supply. Some of you may have seen to content already, but surely deliberately training on a reduced oxygen supply would be quite dangerous. This guy is obviously uber fit, but would anybody be risking a black out by training in this way, even if you handle the intensity. More to the point, does it actually work? Any members on here done this, or something similar.

great training vid by the way, I still need to find some spare tractor tyres to work into my regime.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never heard of the down-side purported factor before. The All Blacks would always head out to South Africa as far ahead of the game as possible to increase their capacity at high altitude training. High altitude training is common. As with anything, even like the training vid, you work up to it in intensity; few laps round the park first day, gradually building up to full intensity to avoid the killer headaches and passing out - only going on what I have read about this. But it makes perfect sense from climbing and acclimatisation.

Divers use a version of apnea training. So potentially that is the better example than climbers.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great training vid by the way, I still need to find some spare tractor tyres to work into my regime.

Yeah I get it, you have guns the size of the Bismarck :) Ever fancy Apollo size? :D Yeah good vid.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Divers use a version of apnea training. So potentially that is the better example than climbers.
I love watching those deep free dive competitions, the depths and times those maniacs go for is awesome!

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sure, if you want to make a walking joke out of yourself, go for it :D:D:D

Latest Discussions