Training Kids?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Even at that young age it is a good time to teach/talk about stranger awareness and flight. Games where you grab the wrist and have the child get away and run to the far corner screaming help or police are always good

Yes, excellent advice here. Just don't let them leave too afraid!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kmac said:
Uh-oh. Hope i didnt throw anyone off. We arent going over techniques or katas or any of that other stuff. Just basic things like hand-eye coordination, balance, teaching her how to use her voice, punches, kicks. Also, do you think that an hour of lessons is too long?

Ok firsy off class should only be about 30-45 minutes in length. I have been training childern and I'll only use my own as examples here, They are now 12-8-7 years old all boys. All three son's started training with me when they where old enough to walk, let say 18 mths. with that being said we worked on hand eyes corination drills, around three they started to learned there basic kick I.E. front leg roundhouse and back leg roundhouse around four they started side kicks and axe kicks along with the back kicks, also at that time they started Poomse(Kata), Forms as some call them. My Oldest son as I stated is 11 going on 12 next March he knows all the WTF both sets and the ITF and all the Dai's, he has become pretty good at them he knows them front wards and backwards, with that being said he is now learning the meaning behind the forms, which is great. I believe with them starting out young has given them the foundation of being well rounded in school. They do not look for popularity when having friends they look inside to see the good one has. We have about three really youngs one in our Dojang and there brother and sister are in the school as well, they train everyday for about 20 minutes and are having fun being with there siblings. I believe MA can be a family night together and a way to bring the family back together.
Terry

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kmac said:
Uh-oh. Hope i didnt throw anyone off. We arent going over techniques or katas or any of that other stuff. Just basic things like hand-eye coordination, balance, teaching her how to use her voice, punches, kicks.

Good, good, good. A reaction ball might be a good/fun idea to use with the little one...I get a kick out of them, I know that:

http://www.shapeupshop.com/athletic_equipment/balls/reaction_balls.htm

But don't buy it from this place...just looking at the obnoxious site is upsetting me...just wanted to give you a visual if you weren't familiar.

Perform Better I believe sells them for fairly cheap...don't recall off-hand.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kmac said:
Uh-oh. Hope i didnt throw anyone off. We arent going over techniques or katas or any of that other stuff. Just basic things like hand-eye coordination, balance, teaching her how to use her voice, punches, kicks. Also, do you think that an hour of lessons is too long?

In general, an hour of lesson time can be too long even for an older child (say, under the age of 8?), regardless of whether it's a Karate lesson, or a piano lesson. This is why we make the classes taught at the elementary schools 45 minutes, instead of the usual hour.

In my opinion, an hour is certainly too long for a three year old, unless that child is a most exceptional case. You may want to cut it back to about a half hour instead. As she gets older and / or more disciplined, you can conservatively increase the length.

In the mean time, continue to keep the lesson plan simple, and focus on what she can accomplish easily. If it means injecting some entertaining ways to learn, then so be it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mostly seen 1/2 hr. classes for 4-6yos, 40-45min for 7-13yos, and an hour for the rest, 14 on up. A half hour is IMO more than enough time for someone who is 4. Any more than that and you're going to risk losing their attention.

Mike

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, the meat of the classes I teach ARE for children from 4-teens I deeeeeeply understand where you are coming from with any frustrations. I've been a firm believer of what distillers and brewers say.

"There's age and then there's maturity."

And it's as obvious as it sounds and it's not only limited to alcohol. There are kids in my classes that are much younger than the older students but have the maturity to match the other ages. Then again, I have the older kids that have no maturity. So it's a give and take.

Things to help keep the young one involved without getting into anything considered as "serious" technique(s) you might want to start with balance games and use "nerf crotch bats" to do jumping game obstical courses. One is done with running a line and you slap 2 of them together (GENTLY). As they run through the line they should be able to jump through them/over them.

Another fun one is the poke game. Teach them the basic low/mid/high blocks. poke at them with the bats.

One of the best ones that I use is "Sinsei Says" It's a great way to keep them focused.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm curious at least. :)

OP
Kmac

Kmac

White Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Kmac, I should ask - what is the current structure of the class? Is material emphasized with children this young?

The class is really just me and her. Before we start, my instructor gives me a few things to go over with her and we spend about 10-15 minutes on each one. So either its the "stranger game", balancing on one of those exercise balls, climbing the "wall", rolls, basic sticks drills. i hope thats what you ment by "structure."

You guys, thanks so much for the advice! Next time i see her is on Thursday so we'll see how things go.

Y

Yoda

hey im new here and contrary to my profile i am a red belt black stripe in Tae Kwon-Do and am testing in two weeks i find teaching little kids to be the best experience ever it is easier to learn something by teaching it

-There is no try there is only do or do not-
bye
Yoda

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kmac said:
The class is really just me and her. Before we start, my instructor gives me a few things to go over with her and we spend about 10-15 minutes on each one. So either its the "stranger game", balancing on one of those exercise balls, climbing the "wall", rolls, basic sticks drills. i hope thats what you ment by "structure."

You're doing a great job Kmac if you're holding interest in a child this young! I think the 10-15 minutes is enough - I'd rarely be technique specific, and even then only for a minute or two - the law of diminishing returns applies with little attention spans! I'd then try to relate what we've covered to the bigger picture - ie. if you're ever threatened, you do this, if this ever happens, you do that. As already stated, it's done in a manner that gives the child no cause for concern but lets them know whatever situation they're in, they're prepared for it.

Repetition is key too as they'll maybe not get the message first couple of times. Above all, note when they've genuinely had enough and give them loads of praise - that sense of accomplishment is hugely important.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our school has a Little Ninjas program for ages 3-4. The classes are no more than 20-30 minutes long, and have a lot of different game-like activities dealing with balance (like walking on a wooden beam placed on the floor), focus ("Who can stand the straightest?"), listening to instructions (Run to that bag, throw two punches, and run back to the end of the line), appropriate behavior (Please sit with your legs crossed),etc. There's a lot of running around, and punching and kicking pads. No attempt whatsoever is made to actually teach "techniques," and there are no "partner" drills, but it does get them ready for entering the regular kids' classes when they reach 5 or 6.

In my opinion, requiring a dan level instructor to "teach" a 3 year old is a waste of resources. It makes about as much sense as requiring an MD to apply a band-aid. A well structured program with an instructor who sincerely enjoys working with young kids makes a lot more sense.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Three is awfully young. The youngest students that have started at our school were 3 1/2, and that's VERY few and far between. Starting at less than 5 takes a certain kind of kid.

That said, consider keeping lessons shorter and more frequent, say 15 minutes. Pick one or two very basic things to focus on and give lots of praise.

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
jdinca said:
Three is awfully young. The youngest students that have started at our school were 3 1/2, and that's VERY few and far between. Starting at less than 5 takes a certain kind of kid.

That said, consider keeping lessons shorter and more frequent, say 15 minutes. Pick one or two very basic things to focus on and give lots of praise.

I've got 2, 4 year olds in our young'ins class. 1 is awesome the other one doesn't have a drop of focus to save his life. I don't hold it against him at all since he's so young. But I do agree totally with the "it takes a special kind of kid" statement.