Training Kids?

Kmac

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there,
Im currently training a little girl that is about 3 years old at our studio and having one hell of a time trying to keep her focused. Have any of you trained younger kids? Do you have any advice on how to keep a kid interested in whats going on during the lesson?

Thanks much!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kids are tough. One thing they all have in common is lack of focus. Goes with the age. A major difference in teaching the little ones than the older ones is to conduct the class with more excercises for shorter durations. Keep the pace moving. Trying to make kids do something they're not capable of at that age or teaching them decipline too quickly will continue to be frustrating for both you and them.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think if a kid is too young to start school, then they are too young to start at a martial arts school as well. I wouldn't even attempt to train anyone under the age of six, as any investment of time will not be worth the results.

Now, like regular schooling, teaching can be started at home as soon as the child is developed enough (which in this case would be gross motor skills such as running and kicking). Playing with mum or dad can be given a very martial arts feel and focus, and this sort of thing is probably more beneficial for all the parties involved. Sending a child of three to a training studio is just... wow.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offense dayana, but why is a blue belt training a white belt child?

Don't you think that's best left to dan ranked certified instructors?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kmac said:
Hey there,
Im currently training a little girl that is about 3 years old at our studio and having one hell of a time trying to keep her focused. Have any of you trained younger kids? Do you have any advice on how to keep a kid interested in whats going on during the lesson?

Thanks much!

Fucos on fun. Constructive fun, but fun nonetheless.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Three years old is awfully young to be training.

That said, I would capitalize on her enthusiasm and energy by doing rapid drills in a circuit fashion. So, first, 10 push-ups, then 10 situps, then 1 lap around the room. Then 5 front kicks one side, 5 front the other side, 10 jumping jacks. Then ask for material. Make her count out loud each time in a kiai fashion so she's got to yell, "ONE" "TWO" etcetera. Then give her jogging in place for 10 seconds and haver her take one sip of water, three controlled breaths.

You have to wear kids this age out a bit before they listen or pay attention. Verbal instructions have to be direct, simple and short. And if a three year old is in a class that lasts longer then 30 minutes, I'd recommend private instruction or delayed training.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
No offense dayana, but why is a blue belt training a white belt child?

Don't you think that's best left to dan ranked certified instructors?
Blue rank in some systems is plenty high to train white belt chldren so long as they are hand-selected and know what they are doing. But I see your point.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Hmmm, 3 years old? Too young in my opinion.

Depends on what the kid is actually doing. Being at the dojo, being exposed to that practice, trying some of the "moves" maybe having some somewhat serious "drills" in there here and there can be great for kids.

Simply having them try some of the things as their motor skills develop (which a likely a minute or two down the road for this little one) gives them great advantage and experience for later on, should they choose to pursue that endeavor.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the attention span wwill b short most of the time. keep the class moveing from one thing to anothe and try npt to be to critical. un games can be made that teach techniques and awareness.
I agree 3 is to young but she will still pick up a lot at that age. Rank on the other hand is a school by school thing

OP
Kmac

Kmac

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your replys! I know she is too young to be training, I really dont agree with it at all, but im just following instructions. I will definitely talk to my instructor about drills to do with her that will keep the lesson fun.

Thanks again!!

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I would like to hear more people's opinions on this subject. Our Sensei took on my daughters as students 2 months before their 4th birthday. They are now 8 1/2 yrs old and absolutely LOVE training. I must admit this is quite the exception. The minimum age I believe is now 5 or 6, but of course it depends on the individual child.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kmac said:
Thanks so much for your replys! I know she is too young to be training, I really dont agree with it at all, but im just following instructions.

Understood! If you can keep them interested at that age, that's great. I do question how much value it has at that age in terms of improving technique, though.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Understood! If you can keep them interested at that age, that's great. I do question how much value it has at that age in terms of improving technique, though.

At that age technique is different, it is far more general and far less detailed.

They are still learning to run, precison in movement is not needed. What you want is general movements and basic ideas as to when to use them. Simplify the techniques and do not expect or try to get them technically correct, just the basic movement.

OP
Kmac

Kmac

White Belt
Reaction score
Uh-oh. Hope i didnt throw anyone off. We arent going over techniques or katas or any of that other stuff. Just basic things like hand-eye coordination, balance, teaching her how to use her voice, punches, kicks. Also, do you think that an hour of lessons is too long?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably, but it depends on what you are doing. Keeping on topic for an hour is a little much. If you're mixing in games and chatting and making it more "playtime" like then "classlike" it might be ok, and still should get a lot done.

But, since we don't see you teach it, it is hard to say. Watch the girl and see how she reacts, when she stops wanting to be there you've gone too long. Always try to end with them not wanting to leave yet ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kmac said:
Hey there,

Thanks much!

I've taught many kids that age and it is far from being an easy task. I do agree though that 3 is a bit young. IMO, having a group of kids that age ends up turning more into a babysitting class, than anything productive.

A few options you can look at.

1- Talk to the parents and explain this situation. It may be best to hold off on lessons until she is a little older.

2- You can teach the child in private lessons. 1 on 1 attention is the best way to go, but even that can be a challenge.

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even at that young age it is a good time to teach/talk about stranger awareness and flight. Games where you grab the wrist and have the child get away and run to the far corner screaming help or police are always good (providing the neighbors don't call the cops on you)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Even at that young age it is a good time to teach/talk about stranger awareness and flight. Games where you grab the wrist and have the child get away and run to the far corner screaming help or police are always good (providing the neighbors don't call the cops on you)
Excellent point - safety reminders at this age particularly are important and it gives the children a sense of empowerment. Utilizing this approach and capitalizing on the high energy levels will probably serve such a young student well.

Kmac, I should ask - what is the current structure of the class? Is material emphasized with children this young?

Latest Discussions