Training in a new town/ A little help, please?

C

Cliarlaoch

Hi everybody,

for those of you who don't know, I live in Kingston, Canada, for the school year, and in Virginia for the summer. As I am now in Virginia, I'm looking around for decent places to train (preferably TKD, but I'm willing to expand my horizons). I am a 2nd degree black belt in TKD, and I can and will provide the appropriate proof for that claim, in addition to contact information for my old school so that you can verify it. If anyone on this site knows someone who runs a good school in the Washington D.C. area (and more specifically, in Fairfax County and the surrounding areas on the Virginia side of the city), or if you run a school, or if you just want to get together and train, please let me know via PM, and I'll get in contact with you (please provide an appropriate email addy. I will exchange mine with you, and we'll see how it works out).

Aside from that, does anyone have any good tips on cardio exercises that I can do to maintain my endurance while I'm away from my school in K-Town? Also, any good stretching websites, books, etc, or any similar info on TKD and/or other styles that you might think would complement a Tae Kwon Do regimen would be of great assistance. Think of it as a chance to post about how much cool trivia and nifty techniques you know! :p

Thanks much all. I look forward to any and all responses!

--C

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Virginia! I'm in Roanoke, Virginia. Unfortunately that's about a four hour drive away so I'm not much help on the school question. Just wanted to welcome you to the area.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by theletch1
Welcome to Virginia! I'm in Roanoke, Virginia. Unfortunately that's about a four hour drive away so I'm not much help on the school question. Just wanted to welcome you to the area.

How far from Christiansburgh? I have a friend there that wants to study EPAK.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe Bruce Chiu teaches in Alexandria; he is a modern arnis guy, but hey, so am I....
Seriously, there are a lot of TKD schools in the area, at least there were when I lived there some years back.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm only about 25 minutes from Christiansburg. Unfortunately there are no EPAK schools in the area. The only kenpo schools in the area are the Universal Kempo schools (HQ in Hawaii) and the one that I was attending which was a blend of chinese and american kenpo. The one I was attending is not one that I would suggest attending any time in the near future. The Universal Kempo system has a school in C'burg. If there was an EPAK school in the area I may very well have changed to that school instead of the change I've made to nihon goshin aikido. I'm loving the NGA though so I don't know for certain if I'd have made the change there or not.

OP
J

J-kid

Maybe try some Mixed Martial Arts , any grappling or boxing/MT kickboxing.
Maybe a weapons art.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Well, not much info on schools, but I'll look around. And thanks for the welcome, letch. 'Preciate it. :)

Aside from that, I've got a big ol' acre lot, so I'll be rolling around there 'till I find a place.

TTFN,

--C

OP
L

lvwhitebir

My sifu's school (White Birch) is in Arlington, which isn't far from Fairfax. He teaches Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and BJJ. You can call him at (703)920-9746. As has been mentioned, there are a lot of TKD schools in the area, too. The phone book will have a bunch, but you'll have to check them out to see which ones fit your needs.

WhiteBirch

OP
T

TangSooGuy

don't know if you're interested in checking out Tang soo do at all, but there are a couple of scholls that I believe are in your general area:

Morning Star Tang Soo Do
Mr. Mark Batarseh
Tyson's Corner Fitness Equation
8209 Watson Street
McLean, VA 22102
703-433-9643

Rising Star Tang Soo Do
Mr. Stewart Soon
Brae Elementary School
5420 Sideburn Road
Fairfax, VA

OP
E

Elfan

Just open up a phone book, look at all the "martial arts" or "karate" studios and hop in your car and check them out.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is an american kenpo karate school in manasas. Here is a link to their site.
www.akkava.com
Just happened to bump into it while reading around the site here.
Good luck.

Latest Discussions