I need some help

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a student who is now living in Conn. I belive the town is Rockville but I could be incorrect I know it is near a town called Vernon.
What I need is a listing of schools (I dont care what system) in the nearby area.
Now this is a hard working student but $$$ is going to be a problem for him as he is still only 14 , in high school, and his step dad seems reluctant to help out with case for his studies. The kid will do whatever is asked of him around the DOJO to help work off part or all of his training costs.
I know that he visited one local school already and was shown the door when a higher ranking student in that school threw a high kick and my student punched the other kids foot (toes). Sorry folks that is the way he was trained but if he is accepted somewhere I am sure he will adapt to the training their.

thank you for any help
Sheldon

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheldon,

Here are a few to start with.

Claytons Kenpo, South Windsor, CT 860-648-2585

American Kenpo Karate, East Windsor 860-623-1155

CT Chung Do Kwan, Tolland 860-870-9157

These are just a few that I got out of the phone book.

Mike

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a student who is now living in Conn. I belive the town is Rockville but I could be incorrect I know it is near a town called Vernon.
What I need is a listing of schools (I dont care what system) in the nearby area.
Now this is a hard working student but $$$ is going to be a problem for him as he is still only 14 , in high school, and his step dad seems reluctant to help out with case for his studies. The kid will do whatever is asked of him around the DOJO to help work off part or all of his training costs.
I know that he visited one local school already and was shown the door when a higher ranking student in that school threw a high kick and my student punched the other kids foot (toes). Sorry folks that is the way he was trained but if he is accepted somewhere I am sure he will adapt to the training their.

thank you for any help
Sheldon

Brother, if I could take him I would (I'm in L.A., so that's not going to work). This is one reason I teach wherever/whenever someone will give us a room--so I don't have to charge kids (this is a unique situation, I know, and I'm very fortunate to be able to do this). If just one kid keeps/gets her or his life straight from pursuing the arts, it's all good; if just one little girl remembers enough to kick a would-be abductor in the shins (or whatever :) ), that may be a life saved, a whole family spared a life of grief.

I feel for you and him. Best of luck in getting him settled somewhere, and good on ya' for doing it. He's fortunate to have such a dedicated mentor.

BTW, if a high ranking student can't take a joke, well...you know the rest.

~kidswarrior

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you to the couple of people that have posted.
I am not all that familiar with that area of Conn. I do know it is east of Hartford but am not sure how far.
If anyone else has any ideas I would like to hear them, as I really want this kid to be able to study something and keep learning . I only get to see him a few times a year now but his skills are still good and his willingness to learn is fabulous

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheldon,

Those that I listed seem to be the closest to where he is located. How much further is he able to travel? I know he's not old enough to drive, but if it was possible for someone to drive him a bit further, there may be a few more options.

Mike

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I had the answer to that question it would make things much easier. I know there are some FMA and CMA places in Hartford and futher south but what I do not know is how much help he will/would have in traveling.
I also do not know what days and time he could get to the practices so I am shooting in the dark just gathering information and hoping to come up with a place he can get to on a regular bases
I would love to get him practicing with another FMA instructor or get him to the White Lotus school in Hartford but don't know if this will happen.
Thanks for trying to help. Any information is good but I would try to keep the travle time within 1/2 to 1 hour if possible

Latest Discussions