Training- heavy bag preferences

M

Mike

I am going to buy a heavy bag and I am curious as to what forum members prefer. Do you use hanging bags, freestanding, water filled, etc? I am leaning towards buying a large water filled hanging bag from Century. Thanks.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have the Wavemaster Powerline. I like it better than the hanging type; I don't have to find a place to hang it, it doesn't rattle the house, I can move it to the corner and out of the way easily, and it doesn't swing around when I hit it. Since I got it, they came out with the XXL version which I would probably get if I needed a new one. I like that you don't have to adjust the height so you can do high/low stuff all at once and in combinations.
Just my personal preference.

-Dave

OP
L

lvwhitebir

The bags similar to the XXL Wavemaster are my preference as well.

WhiteBirch

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a couple at my school, and they work really well.
I prefer using the hanging bags at the school, but if I was going to put one at home, it would most definatly be the wavemaster type.

7sm

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't prefer the waves, especially for the home. I feel that they are too heavy to hang around the house (although not impossable to hang). I prefer a bag that hangs, and not one with a base as many of the waves have. I also prefer to hit sand.

My recommendation is Ringside products. Get a nice filled leather bag. I prefer leather over canvass so you don't get a "rug burn" effect if your skin hits the bag (I wear gloves, but it happends with knee and elbow strikes too). I also don't recommend going over 100 lbs. Real heavy bags are good to hit at the gym, but for the home you don't need anything thats going to ruin your house if you hang it. Plus, the lighter bags move around, and have enough give where not only it mimicks a real person moreso then a heavier bag, but its better on your joints then a large "immovable" bag.

Where/how do you plan on hanging your bag? That could make a difference in your decision.

:D

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh..btw...I know that most wavemasters have the "sand filled base" as opposed to the hanging kind, which is real easy to use on, lets say, a concrete floored basement. No hanging problems there.

Yet, I would never buy one for myself. I can't stand the sand filled base bags. I use heavy bags to work on power, yet if I even Jab the thing it either has way too much give if its a real heavy wave which is bad on my joints, or its too light and it falls over. Pain in the A$$!! :soapbox:

So, I am with 7sm in that I prefer hanging bags, generally speaking. I say get a hanging bag for the home, even though its more trouble to have to figure out where/how to hang. It'll be better for you in the long run, I think.

:asian:

OP
B

bob919

i prefer to hit sand i love my wall bag! for a punch bag i have a short one filled with sand its a bout head height and goes as low as my solar plexus. and i have one 6 ft one thats i tightly filled with rags f

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer to go pound sand in a hanging canvas bag :)

Yet, I can see the advantages fo having something that slides out of the way. As I do not have one for home, I am not sure which wahy I would go though.

OP
M

Mike

Thanks for the feedback. I am finishing 1/2 of the basement in my house. The room on one side of the stairs will be for my kids, and the other room will be for my exercise stuff, weight bench, dumbells, heavy bag, etc. So, I was planning on drilling through a joist in the center of the room if I go with a hanging bag. I am a big guy, 6'5", 250lbs, so I was worried that a smaller freestanding Wave bag would be too easy to tip over with kicks or punches. Likewise, a hanging bag might be very very noisy for anyone upstairs.

I have to admit that I was thinking that heavier/bigger was automatically better, but I can see the point that a lighter bag that moves more has advantages too.

Mike

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I've got a six-foot Fairtex bag in my garage that I love. I filled it with rags and sand, it's got a little give but not a whole lot. I also have a "BOB" in my backyard with a sand-filled base. For regular training I vastly prefer the hanging bag over sand-filled devices. The six-foot model is great for low-kicking.

If you're hanging one in the basement, there are attachments for your I-beams you can get in most very good sporting goods stores.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a 100lb Everlast hanging bag that was given to me. You just can't beat it for the price (no pun intended). It's long enough to work high stuff, the top of the bag hangs at about eye level, and low enough for low kicks. When we moved in to our new place I Shanghai'ed a section of the basement for a training area so hanging is not a problem.

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find that the handing bags are best for hand work and movement. The floor standing water bags work well for low kicks and other kicking drills.

OP
G

Gotkenpo?

I have one of those base-water filled wavemaster bags. I broke it with a left hook. They are cheap, and i would much rather have a hanging bag. It moves around which helps you work on your footwork as well.

My broken bag is still good for practicing footwork around it, hitting it with weapons, and as a target for shadow boxing.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
I have a 100lb Everlast hanging bag that was given to me. You just can't beat it for the price (no pun intended). It's long enough to work high stuff, the top of the bag hangs at about eye level, and low enough for low kicks. When we moved in to our new place I Shanghai'ed a section of the basement for a training area so hanging is not a problem.

Everlast is a good company too! :asian:

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I have an everlast canvas heavy bag that I really enjoy. We use the wavemasters in class, but I still prefer the hanging bag.

The stitching rotted out where the D ring is on my canvas bag. It will now only hang on 2 chains. If anyone knows of any good fixes, advice would be appreciated.

OP
G

Gotkenpo?

here's something thats cheaper....

get a douffle bag (sp?) and fill it with sand or dirt, rap it in duct tape real good, and hang it, or lean it up against a fence or wall if you have one.

Another one is to hang a bunch of old rolled up carpet rapped in duct tape as well...or you could also stand it up against a fence or wall.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gotkenpo?
get a douffle bag (sp?) and fill it with sand or dirt, rap it in duct tape real good, and hang it, or lean it up against a fence or wall if you have one.

Just make sure the duffle bag has no small holes or tears in it. That made a huge mess overnight!! :mad:

7sm