Martial Arts Camps

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wondering on what you think is a good price for a martial arts camp? Several different styles reperesented. 15 hours of instruction.

So what would be a good price for such an event? What would you be willing to pay?

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome BBQ and the training. Person has the choice of getting a motel or pitching a tent for free at the camp facility.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well- here's the camp I have gone to......it is a Kenpo camp that usually hosts several of the well-known "higher ups" in the system as well as others- and sometimes one or two instructors from different styles. The student stays at the camp on cots and there are showers available. All meals are included- one dinner Friday night, breakfast, lunch and dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday. Those attending arrive on Friday evening and the seminars begin on Saturday morning. Throughout the day, you can choose which scheduled lessons you want to attend- each are about an hour to an hour and a half long. So, Saturday is where most of the training is and then they go for about a half-day on Sunday. This year, I couldn't make it to the camp, but it was around $150 each (US dollars). That fee has gone up over the years and I think it is that high due to them having the well-knowns fly in to teach. It still seems fairly reasonable considering how much you learn, meals, lodging, etc.

Will you be having a special speaker/instructor at your event? The Huk Planas seminars run me about $30 I think- and that is for about 2-3 hours of instruction. I know of another seminar (stick fighting) that is going on this weekend that is $50 for 7 hours of instruction.

So, I guess it depends on who is doing the instruction (I would expect to pay a bit more to train with someone higher up in the system).

Hope all this helps in some way and have fun with/at your event!

:asian: :karate:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
need more information. Is it a one day afair that has revolving instructors or a week long with diferent instructors or do you pickwhich class you want to attend at any given day or time

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Friday night, saturday and Sunday type of event. No sense having a camp in the middle of the week, very few would be able to attend.

15 Class throughout the weekend, peopel participate in the ones that appeal to them.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been to camps that ran $60 without the food. They gave the ability to pitch a tent or go into town for a hotel. The fee covered the campsite fees, training equipment rental if you didn't already have something and fees for 6-9 hrs of training each day for three days (Fri., Sat., Sun.).

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends a lot on who is doing the teaching.

Are you learning directly from the Grandmaster, one of the top people in the art or some guy who does seminars?

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The camp would feature atleast 1 head of a Style closing out the vent with 4 hours of instruction. The rest of the camp would have different Stylists of differents ranks teaching the rest of the time.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The camp we have et up at this time will have 15 hours of instruction. 3 classes on Friday before a welcome BBQ. Saturday there are 3 classes before lunch 3 classes after lunch followed by a 3 hour comparison class, where different arts will show how they respond to the same situations. Saturday evening there will be a banquet(if there are enough people signed up for the camp then the banquet will be included in the price. If not enough people come to the camp we will invade a local restaurant. )
Sunday starts of with1 class at 9 am, and then 2 hours of instruction with Sifu Phillip Starr, founder of YiLiQuan, we then break for an hour lunch followed by another 2 hours with Sifu Starr.

So far we have Mike Casto, Rich Parsons, Derek Jones, Brian Hunter, Dan Farmer, Shawn Monday, Time Heurtz just to name a few of the instructors at the camp.

Should be a great weekend especially when you consider it is only $50 for the weekend, which includes a place to pitch a tent.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
$50 for an opportunity to train with the founder of an art is a deal even if no one else was teaching.

Even the greatest of us eventually die, so it's important to take advantage of these kinds of opportunities.

I used to pay $450 for camps with Grandmaster Presas. (That included food and lodging) and I thought that was worth it.

L

lonekimono

Hello to all, i was looking around and this seems to be the right place for this so here go's.
i can't seem to put the attachment in here,so i'll ad this
please go to my web site and read it in there,
www.ackks.com

Latest Discussions