Training Equipment

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently built a bit of equipment in our basement that turns out to be quite useful. I made a straight track 4 feet in length (I couldn't get a longer run) and hung it from the ceiling. I made a small "shuttle" to run along the track and I hung a bag from the shuttle. I am using a very light bag as the whole thing is experimental and made out of wood.

Now I have a bag that I can kick and it moves when I kick it. It is useful for sparring practice as the bag never stays still. It moves back anywhere from a couple of inches to a couple of feet with each kick and it will swing from side to side if the kick is not straight. My front kick, side kick and back kick have improved because the bag will tell me if those kicks were straight or not.

I play a game where I see how quickly I can get the bag to travel the length of the track. Any sideways motion will slow the bag down and make it much harder to kick so I am getting better at kicking straight down the centreline.

OP
igillman

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have a digital camera but I can describe the construction to you. The brackets screwed to the beams are L shaped with the horizontal part of the L's facing each other and a gap between them. The track sits on the horizontal part of the L's on each side of the gap. The shuttle sits across the gap and has a hook hanging down through the gap. The bag is attached to the hook.