A note on a school

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
This subject came up a few months ago when I was looking into a school and they were using a form set not very well known (Yun forms)

The school is Chae Hook Sung and yes his background is from Jidokwan because he mentioned that he had gottn permission from the (chairman?) of the Jidokwan at the time to use his own modified version of the Jidokwan emblem for his own emblem

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like a typical commercial school emphasizing Olympic sport fighting but claiming to be traditional. I've never heard of "Yun" forms. Most likely made up or modified WTF forms.
Best not to start "What do you think of ths school" threads as you're either going to start flame wars or come off looking like a promoter for that school.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Best not to start "What do you think of ths school" threads as you're either going to start flame wars or come off looking like a promoter for that school.

Wasn't meaning to. It was just a historical note for those interested because when I mentioned checking out the school before and the Yun forms in particular there was speculation on the origin of the forms and, due to the symbology, the relationship to Jidokwan. So I just wanted to bring it up for any curious that the relationship or descendency is intentional

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jay I looked over the website and found no mention of the Yun forms but they did have teh poomsae section talking about the Tae Gueks, it also looks like a blend of Hapkido and TKd which can be a great thing. Also just because they do Olympic sparring does not mean they cannot be a SD principle school. Remember you can have both if you really want to. Ok found the Yun poomsae under docruments lookinf at that now for you give me a couple of seconds here. Ok after looking they look like poomsae with a boxing stance like if you was in a real fight, they are most likely something that is just for them because I know Jidokwan does not have anything like this, I need to play with them a little and get back to you on what I think.

Rememeber no one here can tell you anything except what they think, the best thing is to go try it out.
Terry

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jay I looked over the website and found no mention of the Yun forms but they did have teh poomsae section talking about the Tae Gueks, it also looks like a blend of Hapkido and TKd which can be a great thing. Also just because they do Olympic sparring does not mean they cannot be a SD principle school. Remember you can have both if you really want to. Ok found the Yun poomsae under docruments lookinf at that now for you give me a couple of seconds here. Ok after looking they look like poomsae with a boxing stance like if you was in a real fight, they are most likely something that is just for them because I know Jidokwan does not have anything like this, I need to play with them a little and get back to you on what I think.

Rememeber no one here can tell you anything except what they think, the best thing is to go try it out.
Terry

Thanks.

We'll almost certainly end up there. He comes recommended by my previous instructor (Hapkido + Muy Thai, BJJ, Taekwondo) and I've trained with him before. Definitely has a 'practical application' view of Taekwondo with a view toward sparring as a part of training but not the goal of training

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you look at the pictures you will find most of the sparring ones are from the WTF website and have been around for quite awhile. Very interesting, eh?

Latest Discussions