Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You planning on killing some people?
A: Why do you train sword skill?
B: I train sword skill for world peace.
A: Also why do you train iron palm?
B: I train iron palm to be a better person.
A: I don't believe what you are saying.
B: Because if I say that I train to kill people, you may say that I'm a bad person.

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Modern martial arts come from thousands of years of warfare.
Especially before firearms were invented.

I think it would be fair to say that modern martial artists practice martial arts for various reasons.

Self defence
Combat (armed forces)
Combat Sport
Entertainment
Develop friendship
health benefits

Training techniques that have the potential to kill someone (and there are many)
doesn't necessarily mean you want to kill anyone

however ...
We live in a chaotic world, and not all the inhabitants of this world are peace loving or our friends.
There may be rare circumstances that knowing lethal techniques may be useful, for self protection, to protect other innocent parties and to protect society.

If you took out all the techniques that could kill people from the martial arts,
you would have to get rid of some of the best combat sports in the world
including Judo (shime waza/strangle-choking technique, tachi waza-standing techniques)

Training in 40 or 50 mm judo mats can give people a false sense of security that if they throw someone
down with skill and force, they won't get hurt. Try the same on concrete or tarmac and I doubt you will get the same result.

Shime waza (strangulation/choking techniques), if used with caution, causes little to no damage.
The same techniques can easily be used to kill if left on for a little longer, or in the case of chokes,
if applied with excessive force.

lethal leg breaking techniques break legs, and unless the victim falls badly (such as falling down and hitting their head on the curb), a leg break, although not pleasant or kind, will not kill the victim.

In rare extreme cases, this may be the kindest and most effective option. but not something i would recommend people to do in a normal fist fight.

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have also mentioned.
In the past I did train for a while in Kendo and Aikido.

Both using swords of one form or another.
WIth Aikido, if you were to follow the religious aspects of Aikido, in theory, you really are training for world peace.

From what I have read, the development of Aikido occured due to the horrors which Morihei Ueshiba was exposed during the first world war.

I believe that it is through the same sentiment that some other styles of martial art developed,
especially during the early "modern era" in Japan. A period where some struggled to transition from the Samurai system to the ways of the modern world. I guess it must have caused more than a few to have an identity crisis. I believe some felt like they were in danger of losing their noble lineage and other aspects of Japanese culture.

I have read that Professor Jigoro Kano initially developed his school of martial arts, in a desperate attempt to keep the Samurai code and skills alive, and only later, did his system of contemporary ju jutsu developed into the sport we know today as Judo.

I digress.

Yes, I did Kendo for some time, but I would never dream of attacking anyone with a live blade, or even a bokken / shinai, as even wooden swords can cause major damage,

Although, i think that the training would make me pretty handy with a baseball bat or heavy stick.
In fact, if you think about how vicious a skilled kendoka can be. I would imagine I would be quiet scary with a baseball bat.

But again, this is not something that i want to pursue, but again, will only do in extreme circumstances.
(for example, if someone were to attack you with a baseball bat and you were to disarm them),

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see how you could use the shinai to represent a leg, although i would imagine that even with the bambo being so super strong, that the bamboo would break if you were to kick through it to enough depth.
You can use it to represent an arm too. The thing is, most people doing their "arm break" or "leg break" techniques at speed, can't bend the shinai. In order to really apply them, first you must be able to generate enough power to bend the shinai substantially. Its step one.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know. What I mean when I say break, i mean break or damage the leg joint at the knee.
i.e. dislocate / damage the ligaments / muscles.

Yes, a leg break is totally possible. People are giving you a hard time because you said it would be lethal; "lethal" means that it would kill a person.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone make their own equipment for solo drilling lethal attacks that they can't drill with a partner?
Bruce Lee made loads of experimental equipment during the late 60s and 70s.

If you do make equipment, what types of things have you made?
I like the idea of making a standing arm bar man to practice classic arm bar take downs on.
I also like the idea of making a machine that simulates a human leg, for practicing lethal leg breaking (straight / stomp knee kicks).
The last thing I would teach to someone keen on learning deadly techniques is deadly techniques.

Latest Discussions