Training during vacation months

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's different depending on the hemisphere one lives, but in July in the US a lot of things are harder to do because a lot of folks go on vacation. Students are fewer in the Summer, as well.

For you, do you find it easier or harder to train in the Summer? Do you train when you go out of town with family, or do you vacation from everything? How do the Summer months affect your training, or do they at all?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here in the northeast the summertime in dojos is much slower, student wise, than October through May. Has been for as long as I've been in the arts. The only exceptions that I know are college kids home for the summer who can't wait to get back on the dojo floor.

Besides vacation times, it's not just the weather, it's the light. When we turn the clocks back and it's suddenly dark at four thirty it's kind of depressing. Getting to the dojo seems to brighten everyone up.

Some dojo owners I know close for a week every summer, usually around the fourth of July. That's something I never saw, or even thought about, back in the day.

As for effecting my training, it depends. I used to fly to your fair city, L.A, once a month (90's) and train at Billy Blanks' place in Sherman Oaks. I did that for several years. It was an enormous place with more people than I've ever seen in a fitness place/dojo. Couldn't tell if the numbers were less in the summer, there were just too many folks. But it was always easier to train when you were away, less of the normal, everyday hassles of home.

At the time, I was living in Hawaii and training in a BJJ dojo. It was on the second floor of a two story building with a flat tar roof. Oh, man, the summer was so fricken hot in the place. If you were on bottom with a heavier guy in top position it felt like you were being cooked alive. But it wasn't just the heat, it was getting your butt to the dojo. If you had a long day or were especially tired from work, you would think about how damn hot it was going to be rolling....and sometimes you just wouldn't go. Especially since Brazilians aren't know for puctuality and you knew class would start late, again. (excuses - I got a million of them) So, yeah, summer definitely affected me there. I'm a pussy.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Youth attendance drops during the summer but the teens and adults remain about the same with an influx of the summer warriors. Fortunately we have more teens and adults than youth.
I train no matter where I am. Either on my own or I visit a school if visitors are allowed. Many don't??? Have always been able to find one that did allow visitors. (we have always allowed visitors who were traveling or vacationing to our area) With the multitude of MMA gyms (I've always been allowed to train) there is no reason not to train.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've trained in Korea, Thailand, and Hawaii while living here in Japan. There's no reason not to train on the road. I'll be honest I'm not bringing my gi with me this time to Thailand with me... But it's only for a week. Excuses, yeah, I know...

I've always been welcomed like a long lost brother whenever I drop into places.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I travel I find a place to study. It may be a system I have never tried before or one I'm associated with but I will train.
I encourage my students to do likewise.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The holidays have never seemed to impact on my training at my club(s), the club may shut briefly if the sensei or keyholders are away on holiday but nothing of any note.

When I am travelling, I will drop in on whatever dojo I can find if I have the time. Otherwise or for shorter trips I will do some training on my own, either outside or in the hotel room/hotel gym. There is never much of a reason you cannot put in some training time.

That said, sometimes a total break can be just what you need and can at times be useful; a holiday away can be just the time to take that break and...chill to the max.

Latest Discussions