Solo Training

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found this clip today that contain many good solo training.

- From 0.01 to 0.20 is an excellent way to develop a strong "toe push kick".
- From 0.58 to 1.27, I don't know human being can walk this way by moving the same side of arm and leg at the same direction. Not sure how much combat value this can have.
- From 1.29 to 2.18 is the most common advance front leg, back leg follow footwork.
- From 2.20 to 2.41 is a nice footwork to deal with an opponent in front of you and also an opponent behind of you.
- From 2.42 to 2.48 is a fast advance and retreat footwork.
- Some nice striking combo after that such as bi-directions haymaker, 1 kick followed by 3 punches, ...

It's something that you can train on the sand beach by yourself. What's your opinion about this clip?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of the movements look ridiculous at face value, but without knowing what he's trying to accomplish with his training, it's impossible to judge.

I often experiment with "silly," over-exaggerated movements in my own training when I'm initially trying to ingrain and habitualize them. I find it to be an effective way to get in the habit of things that I neglect doing, or that I simply don't do under stress. So by exaggerating them in training, they "stick" better, and tend to come out more readily under pressure. Once that's happening, you can then tighten it up and refine it.

Conversely, there are things that require the opposite approach -- if you find yourself over-compensating and exaggerating your movements, you may need to do the opposite in practice, and make your motions smaller than you think they should be.

So, I think that kind of training may have benefit. But without knowing what attributes specifically he's trying to develop, the specific exercises themselves are unlikely to be of benefit.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I once believed that I should train as I fight. This way, I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I soon realized that when I trained this way, I didn't push myself hard enough.

For example, in combat, you can push your opponent's neck, pull his leg, and take him down. But in training, you may want to push your hand all the way down to the ground (exaggeration). This way not only your body will remember that you should push to the maximum, it also add some extra body stretching and balance challenge into your training.

Last edited: