Training by myself a good option?

A

ave_turuta

Dear all,

It has been a month since I started practicing at a new tkd school here in Spain. I had written a message saying how disappointed I was at the quality (the first day of class already!) but really, after one month I feel utterly depressed and I am ready to call it quits at that school. It feels like a big joke to me: only three hours a week. A class segregated on the basis of gender, where boys get to kick the glove and show their testosterone levels and girls are reduced to being a sideshow. Boys bragging about their competition feats, while simultaneously showing a very low technical level. I feel they are taking my money and giving me nothing in return (we have no equipment: no punching or kicking bags, we don´t do any feet movement or feet speed drills, and absolutely no hand techniques or self-defense, and after one month I am still waiting to do one poomse in the class). On top of everything, a fellow green belt who is in charge of leading the warm up feels it is his obligation to ridicule me because "you do not open your legs enough" in the stretching part...

Bottomline is: my school is not cheap (the tkd plus the use of the running machine costs me alsmot 70 dollars per month) and I am tired of the testosterone-charged atmosphere (sorry guys!) I thought of purchasing a standing bag and a pair of mits to practice at home with my partner. We have enough space, and at least like this I would be able to maintain what I have learnt until now and work on my strength and speed, which are totally disappearing at the new school. We are also buying a treadmill and quitting the run-down gym altogether, and will embark on a serious fitness program at home. My question is: given my level of disappointment and distress everytime I go to class, do you think it is wise to practice by myself at home? I know I am only a green belt, but I feel like I am not learning anything in my classes and in fact everytime I go I get in a horrible mood.... Will practicing at home help me maintain my previous level of knowledge, and how shoudl I plan expanding on it? (i.e. through videos, books... etc)

Thanks for your help
A.T. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that you like the arts, training, etc., but you're extremely unhappy. That being said, why continue to put yourself through misery every time you go to the school? I highly suggest that you leave ASAP and find a new place to train. Find a new school to train at. If there is another TKD school, but you have to start over, so what? If there is no TKD school, but others that you can pick from, start over!!

I've always been a believer that if you're not happy with something, you're not going to be giving it 100%!

As for training at home, go ahead!! At least you're still getting some training in, keeping fresh with the knowledge that you already have. A treadmill, kicking bags, focus pads, etc. are all great ways to keep in shape as well as keep your skill up.

As for learning through tapes, books, etc: I'd rather see you train with a live instructor than a book or tape. Can it be done? Sure, but the quality of skill that you get from a book is nothing compared to a live instructor.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I definitely think you should leave the school. If it shows no signs of changing for you then you will damage your spirit more the longer you remain.

Certainly you can and should train at home. Even if you went to a school 5 days a week we should always make use of every available opportunity to train.

However, I feel you really will not gain all the Art has to offer unless you find yourself a suitable school. It doesn't matter that you are a green belt. Even black belts would benefit more from attending the right school; becoming a part of a healthy dynamic environment.

The Art is a lot more than just physical training, as I'm sure you know. Find someplace that also cultivates your spirit.

Whether it is TKD or not won't matter if you're happy there. If there is absolutely nothing else to turn to besides this one school then quit anyway, make the best use of your time alone, and wait patiently for a new opportunity.

Best of luck, A.T.!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Train at home and with your partner while you look for a more
suitable school! Find somewhere that you like the instructor,
the students and the atmosphere! This is very important for
your longevity in the martial arts! You need to have some fun
where ever you train to make you want to keep coming back!

Brian R. VanCise

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree almost across the board with everyone. You need to be comfortable in your school. You must be comfortable with your instructor; at the very least, comfortable with his instruction.

The only problem with practicing outside of a school is getting the techniques right. I would recommend sticking to the basics, as the more advanced techniques may need some supervision in order to be performed correctly.

My sympathies to you for this school you've found yourself attending. The bright side is TKD is a popular art and finding another school shouldn't be too difficult.

Continued good luck :asian:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A.V.,

If you are that unhappy then you are truly getting nothing from the school. Leave. Spend your money elsewhere before your disappointment overwhelms you and makes you give up completely.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Train at home and with your partner while you look for a more
suitable school! Find somewhere that you like the instructor,
the students and the atmosphere! This is very important for
your longevity in the martial arts! You need to have some fun
where ever you train to make you want to keep coming back!

Brian R. VanCise

Agreed. It IS time for you to move on. If you are unhappy you might give talking to the instructor a shot first. If he gets lippy it would be another reason to look elsewhere. I hope things work out for you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can truely say if your unhappy please leave and find a place that will train you. If there is not one there please start to train yourself, anything is better than no training. One should expect proper training and equipment these days.
I hope your perspective on training begins real soon and I hope your training starts to take on what you need from it.
Terry

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
THere's GOT to be somewhere else you can go...
but you might have to break out and try something different, non-Korean perhaps.... unless you get lucky and just needed to search more.

good luck to ya

Your Brother
John

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
definitely find a new school. definitely keep training on your own......keep the things that you have learned fresh until you can find some new instruction.
training outside of class is a must if you really want to excel in martial arts study anyway.........class time should account for about 5 - 10%, enough for a great instructor to keep you pointed in the right direction.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there other options--even if you had to switch styles, at least for a while?

If not, train at home, but try to find a training partner!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ave, do you think there's a cultural "thing" going on there?

Overall, I'd have to agree with the concencus of the replies you've received thus far - leave the school and try to find a better one if you can. And if you have to change style, do it. Better good training in any art than bad training in your favorite art.

Please keep us posted. Bueno suerte.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember your earlier thread, and I suggested at that time that you may need to take your training into your own hands. You know what you know, now practice and make it better. You set the standards for yourself, instead of going to a school where you are constantly disappointed. Find a space to train like a beach or a park, and do your stuff. Own it, and make it your own. Keep looking for a good school, but you have to be responsible for your own training. If you can see that this school is no good, then you know you can do better by yourself. You just need to find strength within yourself to motivate your training. Traditionally, I think this was a more common approach to training. You learn from your teacher, you train with your classmates, but you spend A LOT of time training by yourself.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, training needs to be enjoyed above all else. If that isn't there don't bother.

Train at home, take the other females with you, they might be as sick of it as you are.

If you can find a better place great, if not, get a few other people and go it alone. It might not be ideal, but it beats putting up with that crap.

You might even be able to find someone here (or your old instructor) that is a higher level of TKD to take the occasional look at video of training sessions and send some pointers your way. Not as good as having someone in person, but still could be rather helpful.

If there is nothing in that area without that attitude, $70 / month can take care of some resource materials to help you along.

OP
A

ave_turuta

Thank you so much to everyone that responded. I have already talked to my partner and she is willing to help me with my training, so at least I can keep practicing the basics and not lose what I've learnt so far. We do have some extra space in the home (we finally have more than one room, yeah!), so a punching bag and a pair of mitts and perhaps a paddle would certainly be cheaper than joining a new school. I understand nothing can substitute the role of a good good instructor, but right now the pressure and the discomfort I feel in the classroom far outweighs the gains I would get from being in the class 2 hours a week. As for changing schools, the problem is the same: I live in a small town, so there are far and few schools (even considering other styles). All the schools I visited suffer from the same shortcomings (very few hours of class per week and 36-38 euros minimum, which comes to about 45-48 USD for 2 hours of class a week). Most certainly, I do think there is "something" cultural going on here :) but, since there is little I can do to change the gym culture around me, I think I will have to be the one to adapt and look for other solutions. Hopefully if I ever move to a bigger city I will be able to join a better school and continue with my training....

Thanks for cheerin' me up too.

¡Salud!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're welcome, A.T. Be patient and don't lose sight of where you want to go. You'll find the right school at some point and it will have been worth the wait. Good luck!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ave_turuta said:
I have already talked to my partner and she is willing to help me with my training, so at least I can keep practicing the basics and not lose what I've learnt so far.

Sounds like you may have a potential student as well. You could both benefit.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ave_turuta said:
Thank you so much to everyone that responded. I have already talked to my partner and she is willing to help me with my training, so at least I can keep practicing the basics and not lose what I've learnt so far. We do have some extra space in the home (we finally have more than one room, yeah!), so a punching bag and a pair of mitts and perhaps a paddle would certainly be cheaper than joining a new school. I understand nothing can substitute the role of a good good instructor, but right now the pressure and the discomfort I feel in the classroom far outweighs the gains I would get from being in the class 2 hours a week. As for changing schools, the problem is the same: I live in a small town, so there are far and few schools (even considering other styles). All the schools I visited suffer from the same shortcomings (very few hours of class per week and 36-38 euros minimum, which comes to about 45-48 USD for 2 hours of class a week). Most certainly, I do think there is "something" cultural going on here :) but, since there is little I can do to change the gym culture around me, I think I will have to be the one to adapt and look for other solutions. Hopefully if I ever move to a bigger city I will be able to join a better school and continue with my training....

Thanks for cheerin' me up too.

¡Salud!

I'm sorry it didn't go well for you.

Here's another suggestion: get a DVD full of good self-defence techniques. While I don't believe that you can really master a STYLE via video, you could certainly pick up and become proficient in a dozen or so self-defence techniques - especially with a willing partner. I'm sure the other posters would have some great recommendations.

Latest Discussions