• All around Practicallity regardless of aesthetics

• All around Aesthetics that could possibly work

• An equal balance of both Aesthetics and Practicallity

• Doesn't matter as long as I study (insert art here) correctly

Results are only viewable after voting.

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find there are many different avenues which lead to why people study martial arts. Why are you in it? Martial artists don't fall from the sky, it takes time and character to build a competant student. Why are you in the arts? Is it mainly for its Aesthetic value i.e. It looks cool, keeps you in shape and lets you meet people. Or is it that possibly you want to know that if push came to shove you will shove back, harder, and faster, that you hone your skills to be an all round master?

Some food for thought

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started out looking for practical self-defense, but now it's just the fun and indeed the aesthetics. I'm no longer so worried about self-defense for me.

But, I train my son, and for him my interest is self-defense.

OP
Casey_Sutherland

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess it is like the old adage of the Tiger and the Dragon. When we start our jorney we are more like the Tiger, interested in power and physical readiness. As we train we become more like the Dragon, training for wisdom and perfection in our art.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well here goes again I started for I had no choice, Father was a Master drill instructor USMC, stayed in it for the Art itself. Martial Art is not a day to day encounter it isa life long journey that will never end. Wisdom cames from age and age brings wisdom.
Terry

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started for Practicality - On how not to break people

I stay for the beauty of how to better break people ;)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Casey_Sutherland said:
I guess it is like the old adage of the Tiger and the Dragon. When we start our jorney we are more like the Tiger, interested in power and physical readiness. As we train we become more like the Dragon, training for wisdom and perfection in our art.

I agree very much with this. It is pretty much how I started and how my journey is going....

- Ceicei

OP
Casey_Sutherland

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I agree very much with this. It is pretty much how I started and how my journey is going....

- Ceicei

Although I am still age wise very much a tiger, In my training I am very involved now with theories and ideas that arise. I remember my first class ever at 16 years old, and being introduced to kenpo with no other instruction than teenage mutant ninja turtles as a kid. I pretty much just wanted to learn how to kick @$$. 6 years later I find that I am more apt to not want to hurt someone but the psychology of conflict, conflict resolution and how the arts can be incorporated to other facets of life. Not only that but sampling theories or other arts and emptying my cup so to say.

On a side note, it's great that something like Martial Talk exists. Where else can you find so much enthusiasm about arts that have been so mystified for years, discussed on even basis with new students and seasoned instructors. I was tipped to this site a while back by my insrtuctor Mr. Rob Broad, and it has definatly opened a lot of doors.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question...because the voice in my head says I have to keep doing it...
:idunno:

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I started for Practicality - On how not to break people

I stay for the beauty of how to better break people ;)
You took my answer, I started because I always thought that the martial arts were cool and always wanted to learn how to fight, I stay to learn how to fight more efficiently.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As the old addage goes. It isn't whether you win or loose that matters, it's how good you look doing it. :supcool:

Actually, practicality has always been my foremost concern, but whether people want to admit it or not, aesthetics plays a big part in how capable you're perceived to be at your art. As a practitioner, that may not matter. As an instructor, it does. So I practice with both in mind.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As with many, practicality, at first. Not long into it, though, aesthetics tied for first reason.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally started for SD, getting in shape and confidence. Some of those goals have remained and others have changed.

Mike

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first karate instructor was my high school Social Studies teacher. After talking with him off and on about martial arts I realized it was something I wanted to pursue.

I joined for a chance to be considered based on who I was as a person and what I accomplished, not the labels that had been applied to me for as long as I could remember. Thus, my answer would be that I joined for aesthetic reasons.

It wasn't until about green belt level that I started enjoying the physical aspect of the Art. Now of course I see them as inseparable and appreciate both equally in their own right.

However, I also suspect that many of us had to find the Art. Regardless of our initial novice perceptions upon entering, is there something intrinsic that pulls us to martial arts?

There are a lot of practitioners out there but most of us here are set upon a spiritual path. That path is defined by each of us and traveled with the Art as our guide.

Even if it had been less convenient to join I suspect many of us would eventually find and pursue martial arts nonetheless for there is something powerful inside of us that would be fulfilled with few other outcomes. Sometimes I feel that I didn't find the Art but that it was the Art which found me.

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started because my father realized I had a big mouth and a propensity for trouble. I continued because he was right. Now I persist because I give a little, get a little, and it helps trim the fat.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Non-compromising practicality. What can I say, I find brutal efficiency beautiful.

OP
Casey_Sutherland

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Who is in an art more favoured for its practicality, or more favoured for its aesthetics. I am not asking this to spark controversy but to simply illuminate the arts which are held to be more so lovely looking than those of that just are practical. I.E. A crecent kick looks nice and is a great technique, but it is not likely in a Self Defence situation that I personally would ever throw one.

Also, what art would you like to branch out with and try. I want to try Capoeira. I love its blend of music, history, and defence. Plus the berimbau looks cool.

Latest Discussions