Cross training

Phlegyas

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering how many other dojo’s cross train with other clubs?

My sensei likes to occasionally invite other clubs to train with us, and encourages us to try other clubs and styles as well. We train in Jujutsu but for example last night we had the local ninjutsu class join us to swap styles, techniques and just play around. I love it as it gives me a change to train with people who react in different ways, and pick up new ideas and techniques that I wouldn’t have seen normally.

I just was curious how many other clubs do this??

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my old JJ club we used to do this regularly. All sensei knew each other, and it happened that one sensei invited the other to teach things related to the other art.

In Genbukan I don't think this is done, because the rules specifically forbid sharing things with non Genbukan members.
We are allowed to cross-train in other dojos though, and some people do so.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a part of a karate program that had friendly competions with others schools. The called it a Shi'i. The sensei of the school I belonged to would invite another school for sparring & forms competition. The sensei of the two schools agreed that they would focus on the good points of the other's student. It was a great opportunity to see what the other school brought to the table & to encourage one another. Adding pizza after was the icing on the cake.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son's Kali guru frequently invites Muay Thai people into their class to give workshops. I guess he finds their kicking/striking very compatible with what he does.

Latest Discussions