Train martial arts in asian temple - Which school? Which martial art?

FedZa

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,
I am 20 years old and I've been practising Hapkido in Germany for 8 years. I am blackbelted, but I feel like I don't deserve my belt when I see young Asians kicking asses. That's why I've always dreamed of training in a real temple with real monks/masters for a 3-6 month.

I've spent some hours looking for a good school, but I'm not sure if these are schools I am looking for. I don't even know which art to train. I'd like to become very flexible, be able to use weapons, learn cool kicks etc., but most important: Learn a very useful martial art, which does not just look good, but is effective.
I like Hapkido and Taekwon-Do for instance, given that one learns how to defend oneself without having to punch a thousand times in one's face..

I'm looking for a temple, where I can focus 100% on martial arts and practise all day long, even if I know that it will be a real torture at the beginning.
I found some schools in Deng feng, Henan, China, such as:

http://www.scic-beijing.com/
Xiao Long Wu Yuan

.. Does anyone have an experience in a good school with hard training?
I prefare a non-touristic school and I'm willing to learn Chinese for that..
Or does someone recomment doing another martial art?

I'd be glad if I got serious and helpful responses.
Btw: The price is important, too. Costs comparable to the Xiao Long Wu Yuan (450$/month) would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Fed

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So your looking at Modern Wushu and sports Sanda.

A university program would be best for that and learning Mandarin would be a plus if you want to take that further to Traditional Chinese Martial Arts. There is a gentleman near me that went to the sports university in Beijing and his Modern wushu is impressive and his Sports Sanda is excellent

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's your objective in doing this? I mean, beyond getting really good at martial arts and in great shape, which you could probably do by doing martial arts training a few hours a day and running and lifting weights. Are you hoping to become a martial arts school owner? A movie stunt man? A world champion competitor?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's your objective in doing this? I mean, beyond getting really good at martial arts and in great shape, which you could probably do by doing martial arts training a few hours a day and running and lifting weights. Are you hoping to become a martial arts school owner? A movie stunt man? A world champion competitor?

I am curious as well, especially if your goal is to learn new martial arts or get better at your Hapkido? What is your belt level? I don't know of any temple that teaches Hapkido, even in Korea. But there are a lot of Hapkido schools in Korea, just not nearly as many as TKD. There are other MA as well, such as Kook Sul Won, Tang Soo Do, Hwang Rang Do. Most teach to a pretty high standard. If you were to study Hapkido there, I don't think you would feel deficient unless you simply aren't applying yourself.

Latest Discussions