Asking students to leave your school.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has even asked a student to leave thier school? Or under what circumstances would you do so.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I have. The student stole things from the school.

I have 2 that are currently on the fence. They have been bullying other students and kids at their school.

RRepster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have. The student stole things from the school.

I have 2 that are currently on the fence. They have been bullying other students and kids at their school.

Those are definitely violations of the tenets of TKD, continuing to do so indicates unrepentance.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
well everyone makes mistakes, some big, some small. giving them a second chance isn't that bad i guess, repeated offences should be handed over to the police.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Show him the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just take back your fee, Lee
And set yourself free.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have on 2 occasions in the last 10 years asked students to leave the school. The first, a 13 year old male intermediate level student, because he was intentionally hurting a younger female during a sparring class. When I mentioned it to his father, his father replied that he had told his son to do it because she had rejected his romantic advances, causing him embarrassment. This happened about 7 years ago when I was running a school in Sacramento.

Most recently, I had to ask a 10 year old student to leave because her mom was a busy body. She took it upon her self to stop other parents in the parking lot, chat them up in the waiting area, or anywhere else they would listen. She finally cornered one of the other parents outside one day to tell them what a bad TKD program we had, causing the family to pull their children from the class. Her child was a red belt, the parent had 2 children that were white belts. So after she had literally cost me tuition for two other students per month, I canceled her membership and sent them on.

I have never regretted removing a student from the school. The few times I did it, I actually had parents of the other students thank me. The last parent that I kicked out was known throughout the school to be a pain and one parent said "thank god, we couldn't take any more of her"

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you.... I knew that what I did was the right thing.. I have given the parent a second chance, but when I heard the last round of lies its all I could take. The lies weren't only about the dojang but about another student! I just don't understand why someone would keep bring thier child to my school for four years and feel the way that this women did. Very much like the last post.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've not had to do it yet. I see where it would be a necessary evil for the betterment of the school in many ways, however.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have on 2 occasions in the last 10 years asked students to leave the school. The first, a 13 year old male intermediate level student, because he was intentionally hurting a younger female during a sparring class. When I mentioned it to his father, his father replied that he had told his son to do it because she had rejected his romantic advances, causing him embarrassment. This happened about 7 years ago when I was running a school in Sacramento.

What the heck is wrong with a man that he thinks violence is an appropriate response to romantic rejection???

I'd bet a survey of his wife's medical records reveals a lot of broken bones...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What the heck is wrong with a man that he thinks violence is an appropriate response to romantic rejection???

I'd bet a survey of his wife's medical records reveals a lot of broken bones...

Not to mention a 13 yo boy making romantic advances...

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mom left when he was young (around 5 yrs. old I think), and I believe the dad thougt "the Karate Kid" was a documentary about how the poor blonde haired karate student lost the big tournament to the goofy kid from jersey who didn't really do karate at all (to para-phrase Barney from "How I met your mother").

I hate to be cliche, but "one bad apple can ruin the bunch" definately holds true in a Dojang. The whole attitude and atmosphere in your school can be brought down by one person. Since I invited our busy body mom to go train somewhere else, the atmosphere during her class time has changed dramatically. More parents are staying to watch class, and we have far fewer complaints from other parents.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention a 13 yo boy making romantic advances...
Nothing wrong with a 13 year old boy making romantic advances. In fact, I'd say it's pretty normal. Even if the gal was a little younger, within a year or two. I'd even cut a 13 year old some slack for some clumsiness in approach -- but not beating her up for not being interested!

But I gotta wonder about the parent bad-mouthing the program -- while her kid is still in it! Weird...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to do what is best for the program and the other students. In some instances, you can move the "bad apple" to another class, but only in some cases.

You do what you feel is best, but you must stand behind your decision and not be swayed by parents or others.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... and I believe the dad thougt "the Karate Kid" was a documentary about how the poor blonde haired karate student lost the big tournament to the goofy kid from jersey who didn't really do karate at all (to para-phrase Barney from "How I met your mother").

Hmm.. so I guess that makes three of us now :)

"Sweep the Leg, Johnny!" =)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has even asked a student to leave thier school?
I have never had to do so.
Or under what circumstances would you do so.
I think that it greatly depends on the dynamic of the school.

Some things are fairly universal: Nonpayment of tuition with no attempt to make arrangements, stealing from the school, assault of other students, or drugs on the school grounds, for example.

Others may be more dependent upon the school. Some schools will send a student packing if he crosstrains. Others will let a student do just about anything that is not outright illegal.

For myself, I would say chronic behaviour that is a safety issue, intentional troublemaking, and slandering the school would all be deal breakers. There are probably more, but these are just off the top of my head.

Daniel

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We haven't had any students that needed to leave but we did had to ask parents to leave. One case in particular was a woman who kept claiming her kids were not learning anything from any instructor except one who left for college. Her kids were fine but her problem was they were not getting belts fast enough for her liking. That wasn't the problem so much as she would try to get a rise out of other parents and circulate that the our other instructors were no good. Those who have been around ignored her, but newer parents didn't know better. To boot she would interupt class and tell the instructor what he needed to teach.

We finally told her it was best that she left our school since she seemed so disatisfied with our service and we would rather she leave than stay around and spread baseless lies.

Latest Discussions