Uniform Patches

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think there needs to be so many different incremental incentives. At some point it becomes chaos more than anything.
I fully agree. But some schools heavily use the incentive program. Always dangling another carrot.

TheTraveleress

White Belt
Reaction score
I would agree, it sounds like a revenue issue. Our association patch is the only required patch that we have and it is only a couple of bucks. All the rest of the available patches identify rank and experience, are optional and you have have to earn the right to own them like our flags for state and nationals etc via TKD accomplishment.
I personally have mine all sewed onto my "dress uniform" that I wear to public events, testings etc that require rank to dress out and I just wear an unadorned training uniform the rest of the time as the belt is marked for rank. I have sewn many a students patches on for them, even brought my machine to the studio in the past to knock a bunch out. We recommend iron on like stich witchery and velcro to attach patches so the required association patient can be removed easily from uniforms to wash and prevent discoloration and also for ease of move to the next size uniform. I guess if the additional patches did not symbolize the training and stature we worked so hard for, I would not value them much either. One of our schools uses taped stripes on the belt for citizenship and other things like that in their school, mostly for the youngest students. It is very cheap for the school and the kids value their tape stripes and try to earn them. So there are ways to mark the values taught without added expenses...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate all the patches. I don't mind a school OR association logo on the front, a flag somewhere else and maybe a logo or dojang name on the back. Anything else looks gaudy!

For what it's worth, if anyone attends the Master Instructor Course in Korea with a dobok like that, they're sent out of the course on the first day to walk to the nearby store to buy a plain dobok (the store is almost on Kukkiwon grounds, at the top of Kukkiwon hill, so maybe 3 minutes from the main door of the Kukkiwon).

Likewise with a belt with crazy things on it (name and school or association name in English and Korean is fine, dan bars are weird to Koreans but rarely commented on to the wearer, maybe about them in Korean though ;-) ) - will be sent to go and get a plain belt.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hate all the patches. I don't mind a school OR association logo on the front, a flag somewhere else and maybe a logo or dojang name on the back. Anything else looks gaudy!

For what it's worth, if anyone attends the Master Instructor Course in Korea with a dobok like that, they're sent out of the course on the first day to walk to the nearby store to buy a plain dobok (the store is almost on Kukkiwon grounds, at the top of Kukkiwon hill, so maybe 3 minutes from the main door of the Kukkiwon).

Likewise with a belt with crazy things on it (name and school or association name in English and Korean is fine, dan bars are weird to Koreans but rarely commented on to the wearer, maybe about them in Korean though ;-) ) - will be sent to go and get a plain belt.
The new school I'm at has a lot of stuff. There's stars on the collar, that I think have something to do with black belt "levels" (intermediate tests between degrees). One kid has "best breaking" patches all down his arms, but in my opinion everything he does is relatively sloppy for his belt level.

I'm trying not to be too judgmental, and my biggest goal right now is the degree and certificates so I can open my own school. But there are some things already that I am looking at and thinking "not for me when I open my own school."

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Might just be me, but too much stuff on the uniform might have me asking questions. Ever noticed how the Stolen Valor guys always have a ridiculous amount crap on their uniforms? It's kind of similar.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 151519.png

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't mind a school OR association logo on the front, a flag somewhere else and maybe a logo or dojang name on the back.
I've been putting a lot of thought into this today.

I do think that having a school logo somewhere on the uniform (preferably front and back) is important for when you're going to be in a mixed environment, such as a tournament.

As I was writing the above statement, I realized that when you're wearing sparring gear in a tournament, the chestguard will cover up any logos, except maybe a one-size-too-small chestguard won't cover up the back.

Hmmm...maybe it isn't important.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I was writing the above statement, I realized that when you're wearing sparring gear in a tournament, the chestguard will cover up any logos, except maybe a one-size-too-small chestguard won't cover up the back.
So.... put the patches somewhere that will be seen with sparring gear on.

I was thinking to put the logo patches on both the top of the foot guard and the bottom of the strap that holds the foot guard on. If your patches are really heavily embossed and backwards.... then your students will be leaving your logo all over the competition....

"Hey, who kicked you in the face??? Oh wait, I see, it was one of those STKD guys... it's written all over your face...." (STKD = Skribs TKD)

:)

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do think that having a school logo somewhere on the uniform (preferably front and back) is important for when you're going to be in a mixed environment, such as a tournament.
I've seen children wearing gis and doboks with the school name/logo in big letters screen printed on the back. I always thought the purpose was to get the attention of parents who see these children with their parents at the grocery store.

Last edited:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So.... put the patches somewhere that will be seen with sparring gear on.

I was thinking to put the logo patches on both the top of the foot guard and the bottom of the strap that holds the foot guard on. If your patches are really heavily embossed and backwards.... then your students will be leaving your logo all over the competition....

"Hey, who kicked you in the face??? Oh wait, I see, it was one of those STKD guys... it's written all over your face...." (STKD = Skribs TKD)

:)

The last time I was at a tournament, I saw some kids with their school name printed down the leg of their pants. So when they were kicking, you'd see "So and So's Taekwondo" right there lol. I thought that was clever.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The last time I was at a tournament, I saw some kids with their school name printed down the leg of their pants. So when they were kicking, you'd see "So and So's Taekwondo" right there lol. I thought that was clever.
My new school is this way. I think it's also good because you can tell who's who when you're wearing sparring gear.

Not 100% sure I want to go that route, but it does make sense.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen children wearing gis and doboks with the school name/logo in big letters screen printed on the back. I always thought the purpose was to get the attention of parents who see these children with their parents at the grocery store.

I always thought that it was 1) A barrier to exit 2) Not have kids to spend a lot of money on expensive uniforms, 3) Be "uniform"

Latest Discussions