"Traditional Marriage" ??

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
So if I believed everything in the bible, which I don't, and was a devout Christian, which I am not, I'm doing something wrong if my wife and I do not have kids...which we don't by choice? The foundation for a right and proper marriage is if a couple procriates? Perhaps 3000 years ago that was valid. Today that line of thinking is horse manure, in my opinion.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if I believed everything in the bible, which I don't, and was a devout Christian, which I am not, I'm doing something wrong if my wife and I do not have kids...which we don't by choice? The foundation for a right and proper marriage is if a couple procriates? Perhaps 3000 years ago that was valid. Today that line of thinking is horse manure, in my opinion.

Well, maybe not in the eyes of the Bible, Adolf the Unneccassary certainly frowned upon childless marriages...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...08335659.16274.108038612554992&type=1&theater

some more traditional biblical marriages...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see all the evidence to contradict those who want to keep gays from marrying and it makes my head hurt. I just don't see what's so complicated about it. Maybe I'm the daft one. :(

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
In another stunning case of self-censure I'm just n gonna say "sure."

So exactly what does the bible have to say about tax issues of people sharing a domicile? Does it mention health insurance, hospital visits, benefits under social welfare programs, tax free transfer of property, right to continue living on land bought by spouse, funeral and berevment leave.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see all the evidence to contradict those who want to keep gays from marrying and it makes my head hurt. I just don't see what's so complicated about it. Maybe I'm the daft one. :(

Yes, yes you are.

Come sit next to me on the daft bench and let's put our daft cones on.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In another stunning case of self-censure I'm just n gonna say "sure."

So exactly what does the bible have to say about tax issues of people sharing a domicile? Does it mention health insurance, hospital visits, benefits under social welfare programs, tax free transfer of property, right to continue living on land bought by spouse, funeral and berevment leave.

:lfao:

that's why those folks don't want uniform health care either

duh, now I get it.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob regardless of some of the negative or codescending tone to some of the posts back at you this has been a good thread with interesting and informational posts by many. I think you are saying that marriage according to the state is a civil thing and has no bearing on any particular church? Any one or anything for that matter can be married depending on the laws of that state? and churches are free to marry who they please. In my church my wife and I have a civil marriage possibly this year after I recieve a Temple Recomend we can then go to the temple and have a Temple marriage.

I find one thing interesting on the time line of traditional marriage some saying 9th or 12 century? For those who believe in the bible it started in Genisis how old is that? And God created a woman for man not sister brother or buddy? However that is for people who believe in the bible and God and there has always been free agency for a person to choose. Now you could argue there is no mention of a traditional marriage cerimony in Genisis however there are those that say as far as that book is written or understood? We don't know there wasn't? Regardless we all have the freedom to believe what we want with out persecution.

Thanks for your work and thoughts

Dan, that's how I see it. Marriage as a civil ceremony should be for all. As a religious ceremony, how the faiths decide. That's how the Canadian law was structured, and how NY's is. I don't really care who the Catholics, Jews or Christians will marry. That's their business. But let Jack and John or Eve and Linda go see a justice of the peace and have the same everything that my wife and I have. It's about fairness to me.

As to history, every religion has a creation myth. Many are similar, but all are just that, myth. Science says things are older than most faiths. Genesis works this way. God creates Adam. Then Eve. Then evicts them. They have 2 kids. 1 kid kills the other kid. Cain then goes off and marries ...who? Genesis neer addresses where the other people came from. So...you can argue that either Eve later had an unnamed daughter who married Cain (her brother), or Cain did Eve....which makes for some interesting DNA. Fast forward to the Flood, where only Noah's family survives..which brings incest back into the picture. Some rather 'interesting' beliefs there.

But I dance with Shivah, and have Kissed The Goddess, so who am I to say any of it is 'wrong'?

Catholics say "No Meat on Friday", choosing to redefine fish as not-meat.
But I'm still free to enjoy my cow-steak, and Catholics are free to eat fish.
As it should be.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now if this God person would just have the decency to show up and a answer just a few questions on a couple issues then I would gladly overlook all the crap that contradicts the other crap.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now if this God person would just have the decency to show up and a answer just a few questions on a couple issues then I would gladly overlook all the crap that contradicts the other crap.

Some of us have had encounters with the divine. They are personal, but yes, questions were asked, answers received, and years spent pondering their meaning. And, yes, I am saying exactly what I just said, knowing full well some will call BS on it, and not caring at all.

If one expects 'God' to show up on their door step and stop in for tea, they;ll be waiting a while though.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, personal experiences are strong and one can claim they have touched the divine. But something that happened to only you and the only proof of it happening is your story then I can say anything from your crazy to you might be having a stroke.

Now if this event happened and was possibly recorded or witnessed/experienced than more than you then I may care.

Frankly I feel the same transcendent joy and religious extacy people talk about playing guitar. I've played long enough that I do get the same endorphin and dopamine reaction people at prayer, having sex, doing drugs have, except I know it's completely biological.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Naw, mine was personal, non verifiable, and no witnesses.

But I guarantee that there were no aliens involved, and I didnt get a probe. :D

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is NO benefit for a man to marry unless he wants kids and kids always do better in a family environment. For a man marriage = here take 1/2 my stuff.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is NO benefit for a man to marry unless he wants kids and kids always do better in a family environment. For a man marriage = here take 1/2 my stuff.

well, even the half off is a modern thing.
Until a rather short time ago he got everything, the woman (was chattel) and to keep his stuff.

And another thing: you will find that marriage is only important when the patriarch has to proof/know his offspring's lineage.
In female oriented cultures, there is a different kind of marriage, it usually means the woman picks whom she wants, but does not have to keep him, since does not really move in. (there is another business model, but that is eerily like the male dominated one....Someplace in India)

And of course the guy wants to be reasonably sure the get is his, so it becomes important that he is the first to plow the field....and adultery weights more for the woman than the man...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Even that is specious. Abraham's marriage to Sarah was childless until G-d intervened. Sarah was 90 at the time.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score

I feel really sorry for you if you truly believe this. I have been divorced and know it to be a painful experience, but there is so much more to a successful marriage than kids. Marriage does NOT = here take 1/2 my stuff unless you fail at your marriage. Not all marriages fail, with or without kids.

Latest Discussions