Tracy Kenpo vs. EPAK

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, with all this technical talk on the differences between these two systems, I wonder where I stand relative to my technique. I started with 1980's EPAK and now train with a TRA-CO based instructor who has evolved to teaching the standard EPAK cirricullum (with a few TRA-CO techs thrown in for good measure - darkness/grabbing pearls etc..). I think I have a good EPAK foundation from my previous years of training, but I have been out of the kenpo world for 15 years and do not know all of the changes that the system has undergone post SGM passing.

I have heard several negative comments on the TRA-CO system (bad blood between Tracy and Connors), but don't know anything more than that.

K

Kenpohermit

I look forward to working out with a high ranking Tracy Instructor when I get around to it... The Tracy Kenpo School I visited before was not all that good and they have closed down so before I make any real comments about the Tracy's version of Kenpo I'd be better off expanding my point of view. I have herd a lot of good things about it.

But as far as the American Kenpo I study... I am tired of hearing it called "Commerical" Kenpo, I study the same system outlined in Infinite Insights
Volume 5 that is the 24 technique system. Forms, Sets, extentions and all.
American Kenpo has saved my life more then once. It is as effective as any other martial art. It's "practical Kenpo"... Again my point is I study American Kenpo and I work my **** off to improve my skill and knowledge and it works great & I am not even that good at it. I feel insulted that the system is reffered to as "Commerical Kenpo" As if every person who studies it is all about making money and opening mcdojo's. IT WORKS! IT IS EFFECTIVE for those who train hard at it. If you cant make it work thats your own problem mine works just fine... Why do people have this need knock a system just because they were to stupid, lazy or whatever to make it work?

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kenpoist said:
Well, with all this technical talk on the differences between these two systems, I wonder where I stand relative to my technique. I started with 1980's EPAK and now train with a TRA-CO based instructor who has evolved to teaching the standard EPAK cirricullum (with a few TRA-CO techs thrown in for good measure - darkness/grabbing pearls etc..). I think I have a good EPAK foundation from my previous years of training, but I have been out of the kenpo world for 15 years and do not know all of the changes that the system has undergone post SGM passing.

I have heard several negative comments on the TRA-CO system (bad blood between Tracy and Connors), but don't know anything more than that.
Kenpo is Kenpo, you're bad! news, that's all to it. They will all fear you now!

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpohermit said:
I look forward to working out with a high ranking Tracy Instructor when I get around to it... The Tracy Kenpo School I visited before was not all that good and they have closed down so before I make any real comments about the Tracy's version of Kenpo I'd be better off expanding my point of view. I have herd a lot of good things about it.

But as far as the American Kenpo I study... I am tired of hearing it called "Commerical" Kenpo, I study the same system outlined in Infinite Insights
Volume 5 that is the 24 technique system. Forms, Sets, extentions and all.
American Kenpo has saved my life more then once. It is as effective as any other martial art. It's "practical Kenpo"... Again my point is I study American Kenpo and I work my **** off to improve my skill and knowledge and it works great & I am not even that good at it. I feel insulted that the system is reffered to as "Commerical Kenpo" As if every person who studies it is all about making money and opening mcdojo's. IT WORKS! IT IS EFFECTIVE for those who train hard at it. If you cant make it work thats your own problem mine works just fine... Why do people have this need knock a system just because they were to stupid, lazy or whatever to make it work?

Yes. Of course it works. Kenpo is a great set of tools. But every toolset has its ideal applications and its limitations. As you experience a wider variety of martial arts in a wider variety of situations, you will see that there are situations where other tools may fit better.

Latest Discussions