Tracy Kenpo Better Then EPAKK!

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think we can really say Tracy Kenpo is Better than EPAKK but I can say it's different. My self of there was a Poll I would vote that I "Like EPAKK better and it is less confusing than Tracy. But That is opinion.

L

lonekimono10

But it don't matter,all this does is to get more people talking about tracys kenpo

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
I don't think we can really say Tracy Kenpo is Better than EPAKK but I can say it's different. My self of there was a Poll I would vote that I "Like EPAKK better and it is less confusing than Tracy. But That is opinion.
How much do you know of EPAK or Tracy's kenpo???

Ironically Tracy's is an earlier version of Ed Parkers Kenpo

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that either system can produce competent fighters. Having learned EPAK first then having some of Tracys I can say that there were things in Tracys that I didn't care for; as well as good things in Tracys that I hadn't seen before.

But I perfer EPAK.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
having studied both systems myself, I will stick with EPAK any day of the week. Wil Tracy wrote an article that inflamed many people, but if Al Tracy had wanted he could have asked to have the article removed but it stayed on the site for many years. Will Tracy worships at the Church of Sex, great if all the parishoners are hot young women, sign me up. Ed Parker was a devout Mormon, all the power to him. Al Tracy worships at the church of the almighty dollar. He has removed many people from his family tree liek they never existed, and more than likely for the right price they would be back on the list, with a disclaimer saying it was a small oversight.

Plain and simple there would be no Tracy's Kenpo, with out Ed parker.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

IT....WON'T....DIE....!!!

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I'm a life long Mormon also and have been going to the LDS Temples a long time (nearly 20 years). No, none of these in Kenpo have any bearing or relationship with what goes on in the church or in the Temple. There are no male/female with switching knotted belt sides, etc. within the LDS church/temple. It is stretching it to try to seek for any similarities.

Like I said, I have heard it both ways from Mormons.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the stuff in the article is just that, myth, written by a person who does not understand the traditions/activities of those who practice this religion.

Written by a mormon, actually.

Besides, this is off topic. What does religion have to do with the difference between the styles of Tracy's and EPAK?

While that is the title of the thread, the first article was about Will Tracy's articles.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
WELL, WELL, i see that the Tracy Battle go's on, and if any one knows anything about this man i do, hey guys we all know what he is about, and i don't care about who trains with him or not,Mr Seabrook said it best but i'll use my words "you got something to say about Mr Parker then step up"
you know Tracy has this magic wand of his that he likes to wave around,
hey you know if you check out some of his stuff you will fine that he likes to talk about Dead people, Al Tracy, Pat Tracy you can't talk to them (i tried)
in fact it's like talking to a robot, what a friend.
he will be like shane ridding of into the sunset

I'm sorry George, what does this have to do with Will Tracy's articles?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
having studied both systems myself, I will stick with EPAK any day of the week. Wil Tracy wrote an article that inflamed many people, but if Al Tracy had wanted he could have asked to have the article removed but it stayed on the site for many years.

He may have. But he did not own or run the website at that time.

He has removed many people from his family tree liek they never existed, and more than likely for the right price they would be back on the list, with a disclaimer saying it was a small oversight.

How many? I know of only 2.

Plain and simple there would be no Tracy's Kenpo, with out Ed parker.

A fact that Al Tracy readily admits. Here's one, without James Mitose, there would be no EPAK...

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KenpoDave said:
Like I said, I have heard it both ways from Mormons.
C'mon Dave, wake up and smell the postum. Just because someone is a Mormon doesn't mean they understand Kenpo's history and traditions. Just because someone practices Kenpo doesn't mean they understand doctrine from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Just as some martial artists are very proficient, there are also people who watch MA movies and claim to know how to fight because of it. There are also some people who are members of the church who are very active and informed--and there are those who are "inactive" who claim to know--as well as inactive members who are "soured" on the church but still retain membership. Again, as a Kenpo-ist and an active member of the Church, I can assure you that nothing in Kenpo seemed to bear any resemblance to anything in the Church.

KenpoDave said:
A fact that Al Tracy readily admits. Here's one, without James Mitose, there would be no EPAK...
No Tracy's Kenpo without Parker is an admitted fact. Mitose & EPAK is highly debated and not proven {at least to my satisfaction}.

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Rob,

Don't you love the Kenpo Community? Everybody is smarter and better than their brothers and sisters! Everybody has a right to their opinion. Regarding how the various organizations control their members/rank and demotions etc. is their business. I think Al Tracy is doing a little house cleaning.

Regarding Al Tracy equals dollars only...well Ed Parker as well as Al and many Kenpo BB were commercial and still are... I am not sure where you are going with that comment.

Will Tracy and what he does or doesn't do is his business. Same as everybody else. However I agree with your right to disagree.

Dave Simmons
Twin Dragon Kenpo Karate

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There have been several people removed from the Tracy family tree, including George Elmer, Dan Farmer, & J. Larry Taylor. I am sure these are not the only 3 out there, the chances of me being familiar with all three of them are prety slim.

As for saying Al Tracy worships the dollars, well it seems to me to be the biggest motivation when removing people from his family tree.

I have studied both EPAK and Tracy's system and have found more diversity and personal growth in EPAK. But I have said in the past better to study Tracy's Kenpo than no Kenpo at all.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets try to get back onto the topic of the thread here folks. I took the first post as having to do with a comparison of the two arts, not religion in the arts.

Thanks,

Mike

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rob,

You know I get along with most people especially in the Kenpo World. Since my background is Tracys many EPAK folks I know especially the older crowd get along with me fine. The reason, we move with power and speed of the old guard.

Dave Simmons
Twin Dragon Kenpo Karate

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dave Simmons said:
Rob,

You know I get along with most people especially in the Kenpo World. Since my background is Tracys many EPAK folks I know especially the older crowd get along with me fine. The reason, we move with power and speed of the old guard.

Dave Simmons
Twin Dragon Kenpo Karate

The one good thing I have noticed from this thread regardless of roots or where a person is now in their martial arts career, We are all passioante about our Kenpo.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
The one good thing I have noticed from this thread regardless of roots or where a person is now in their martial arts career, We are all passioante about our Kenpo.

I agree! And as I said in an earlier post, as long as we're happy training in our respective art, then that is all that should matter. Its all a part of the Kenpo tree, just a different branch.

Mike

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
How much do you know of EPAK or Tracy's kenpo???

Ironically Tracy's is an earlier version of Ed Parkers Kenpo
Very Little about Tracy. I only had a limited experience with a few students and Enjoyed talking to Mr. McPeets (Sorry if I spelled that wrong) Son When they had their dojo In Batavia ny.

I trained in Parker Kenpo with Sensei Koch I was his senior Youth Instructor when he first moved to Alden, and Also had the fun of working with Mr Austin a few times. (Thanks To Mr. Koch)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
Very Little about Tracy. I only had a limited experience with a few students and Enjoyed talking to Mr. McPeets (Sorry if I spelled that wrong) Son When they had their dojo In Batavia ny.

I trained in Parker Kenpo with Sensei Koch I was his senior Youth Instructor when he first moved to Alden, and Also had the fun of working with Mr Austin a few times. (Thanks To Mr. Koch)
But Mr Austin is'nt a EPAKL guy is he? How long were you with Mr Koch??

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
But Mr Austin is'nt a EPAKL guy is he? How long were you with Mr Koch??
Mr Austin Was and Trained with Mr. Mills and I am still with Mr. Koch as Much as Possible. I still count him as my instructor.. In his Dojo I wear a 1st Black belt and solid Gi. I have the utmost Respect for him and would never claim a title out side his rank in his school.

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
Mr Austin Was and Trained with Mr. Mills and I am still with Mr. Koch as Much as Possible. I still count him as my instructor.. In his Dojo I wear a 1st Black belt and solid Gi. I have the utmost Respect for him and would never claim a title out side his rank in his school.
"Well that dosent say much about being a soke, than dose it!! " :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions