Topic requests for new videos?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought for you sport was only the path to the goal of combat/self defense? If so, then learning jacket skill is important, as you could face someone wearing a jacket.
When you use your hand to grab your opponent's

- jacket, your opponent's arm is still free.
- arm, your opponent's arm is not free.

In other words, even if your opponent has jacket on, to control his arm is better than to grab on his jacket.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you use your hand to grab your opponent's

- jacket, your opponent's arm is still free.
- arm, your opponent's arm is not free.

In other words, even if your opponent has jacket on, to control his arm is better than to grab on his jacket.
Unless the jacket is more accessible or works better or you can do both.

See, you're still doing the "this thing is absolutely better, and it's always a binary choice" thing.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless the jacket is more accessible or works better or you can do both.

See, you're still doing the "this thing is absolutely better, and it's always a binary choice" thing.
Gripping the collar gives you a lot more control over your opponent’s neck/upper body than gripping their sleeve
Whereas a sleeve grip provides less control over your opponent’s torso it dominates one of your opponent’s arms, making it harder for them to grip and control you
So there’s pros and cons

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I get a good grab on your clothes, and you're NOT better trained than I am, you're mine, you're toast.

Regardless of size, strength or crazy.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an update for those waiting on new content: I've recorded material for a couple of new videos but I'm struggling with some glitches in the video editing software. Hopefully I'll have that resolved soon.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something I've seen you discuss on here, that gets missed so often, is what to watch out for when changing grappling to include a weapon. From personal experience (in sparring/rolling), adding a knife to the roll changes so much what is good or bad to do, but I don't do it often enough (and none of my coaches have much knowledge on this to my knowledge) to understand exactly how the dynamic changes and what I should/shouldn't be focused on in those rolls.

As @Monkey Turned Wolf already mentioned, I'll second a video that would include some discussion of weapons

New video is up: Intro to weapons considerations in a ground grappling context

Next I need to review the material I recorded for side control escapes and see whether I like it well enough to edit together a video or whether I need to go back and get a better recording.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Next I need to review the material I recorded for side control escapes and see whether I like it well enough to edit together a video or whether I need to go back and get a better recording.
I think this would be a very good step to take. The audio in your recent recording was very low, and at some points I could hear feedback.

I love the content. Just wish I could hear it better.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love what you're doing with these videos, Tony. One thing I might suggest though.

You're clearly having trouble with the audio. Obviously, buying a bunch of microphones and such is an option, but that can get real pricey real quick. Not a good idea for something you're doing for free.

Maybe consider doing the demonstrations without talking, and then adding the commentary as a voiceover? That should be doable without buying any more gear.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love what you're doing with these videos, Tony. One thing I might suggest though.

You're clearly having trouble with the audio. Obviously, buying a bunch of microphones and such is an option, but that can get real pricey real quick. Not a good idea for something you're doing for free.

Maybe consider doing the demonstrations without talking, and then adding the commentary as a voiceover? That should be doable without buying any more gear.
It's also much easier to do the demonstration (because you don't need to stop in the middle of the drill to explain it).

You can also pause, rewind, or edit in a big red circle to show specifically what you're talking about.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

No, we need to get him into TKD so he can practice his kiyhap for better voice!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I don’t really mind the audio. It’s not so bad that it distracts me. And it actually gives the video a vibe that suggests substance over style.

That said, this is an excellent suggestion to improve the audio should you want to.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t really mind the audio. It’s not so bad that it distracts me. And it actually gives the video a vibe that suggests substance over style.

That said, this is an excellent suggestion to improve the audio should you want to.
I was struggling to hear it. I like his voice and his speaking style. I just wish it was easier to hear is all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Theoretically a phone should just do that these days?

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

JowgaWolf suggested the same thing and I might give it a try. The other option is to really work on clear vocal projection to compensate for the terrible acoustics in our gym. I expect it will be a learning experience, but with any luck I'll be making improvements as I go along.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been watching on a laptop, which has typical laptop audio. It would probably be different if I were watching on my gaming computer. It's a high end box with high end gaming audio.

On the laptop, it's just really hard to hear. What are you watching on?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been watching on a laptop, which has typical laptop audio. It would probably be different if I were watching on my gaming computer. It's a high end box with high end gaming audio.

On the laptop, it's just really hard to hear. What are you watching on?
I'm watching on my high-end gaming computer. I can turn the audio way up. But then everything else is screaming at me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm watching on my high-end gaming computer. I can turn the audio way up. But then everything else is screaming at me.
Specs? Not that they matter, I'm just geeky enough to ask.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Watching on my iPhone, audio isn’t great, but not terrible either. For a free offering I won’t complain.

Latest Discussions