Topic requests for new videos?

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So 7 years ago? Have you continued training since then? If so, hopefully you have a better handle on the fundamental escape concepts than you did then.

Honestly I was confused at first as to what you were even trying to do until drop bear mentioned the ghost escape. I don’t know why your coach was encouraging you to try that. Firstly, it’s a bit of an advanced technique for a beginner. Secondly, your arms were completely in the wrong position for the ghost escape. Where they were, you had zero chance of completing that escape. That means the rest of your body movement was completely counterproductive. (If you weren’t trying the ghost, then your coach was just encouraging you to move the wrong direction for no reason at all.)

I’ll try to post a video or two on side control survival and escape this week. In the meantime, here’s a really good video on the correct way to execute the ghost escape.
I train on and off. Mostly self defense techniques when it comes to bjj, no sparring lately but I do spar once in a while. My goals have changed with bjj. I do it now to be competent in the ground aspect of fighting but it's not my main focus anymore. I have a brother who I roll with sometimes. He's around the same size as me and has almost as much experience as me. I'm not a great grappler but I want to be competent for self defense purposes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great videos. Some things that I'd be interested in that I think play to your strengths.

1: As @Monkey Turned Wolf already mentioned, I'll second a video that would include some discussion of weapons. Also, real world debunking of some of the myths that we see in self defense about how folks would just gouge and eye or bite an arm.

2: You have a unique point of view, and I can't think of anyone more qualified to discuss BJJ/grappling as it intersects with other martial arts. For instance, does your sumo help your BJJ or vice versa? Does your HEMA training?
Ooh, I like that second one!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony, I haven’t caught up on all the posts here - getting the dogs fed this morning and the cat doesn’t want me to use my phone - so there might be discussion of this already.

This is conceptually vague, because I don’t know what I’m actually asking for. I’d love to see a video discussing what tactics folks who don’t train ground grappling much think are good, but immediately put them in trouble against anyone with solid basics in BJJ (say, a blue belt or above). The only example I have off the top of my head is how often folks reach out to grab wrists or push away to create space, giving a fantastic lever to anyone who knows what they are doing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train on and off. Mostly self defense techniques when it comes to bjj, no sparring lately but I do spar once in a while. My goals have changed with bjj. I do it now to be competent in the ground aspect of fighting but it's not my main focus anymore. I have a brother who I roll with sometimes. He's around the same size as me and has almost as much experience as me. I'm not a great grappler but I want to be competent for self defense purposes.
There is a lot of get off the ground stuff for bjj.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This video depends on a lot on jacket pulling. If there is no jacket, those techniques cannot be done.

Why do you want to develop a set of skill that heavily depends on jacket?

Obviously you carry a jacket and then if you are attacked. You put it on them so you can defend yourself.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video depends on a lot on jacket pulling. If there is no jacket, those techniques cannot be done.

Why do you want to develop a set of skill that heavily depends on jacket?
I develop lots of skills that are situational. If that's not the situation, I use different skills.

This is true of a hip throw - it's useless if they're not standing up.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously you carry a jacket and then if you are attacked. You put it on them so you can defend yourself.
My concern is MMA has no jacket. All the effort that you have spent in developing the jacket skill will not be able to use in the MMA environment.

Some of the Chinese wrestling (SC) skill also depend on jacket. When Chinese wrestling (SC) has been envolved into combat SC (Sanda), the no-jacket skill become more important.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is true of a hip throw - it's useless if they're not standing up.
In wrestling this is used in the turtle position. It was the one move I could do well when I did wrestling, and I just landed a beautiful one in BJJ the other day.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern is MMA has no jacket. All the effort that you have spent in developing the jacket skill will not be able to use in the MMA environment.

Some of the Chinese wrestling (SC) skill also depend on jacket. When Chinese wrestling (SC) has been envolved into combat SC (Sanda), the no-jacket skill become more important.
And a lot of what you'd learn for an MMA tournament won't apply in a Judo tournament.

Nothing works every time, in every situation (except concepts, maybe).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I thought for you sport was only the path to the goal of combat/self defense? If so, then learning jacket skill is important, as you could face someone wearing a jacket.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And a lot of what you'd learn for an MMA tournament won't apply in a Judo tournament.
If someone has competed in MMA (integration the striking art and throwing art), will he compete in Judo tournament (throwing art only) again?

I believ the proper path should be Judo (or BJJ) -> MMA, and not the other way around

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone has competed in MMA (integration the striking art and throwing art), will he compete in Judo tournament (throwing art only) again?

I believ the proper path should be Judo (or BJJ) -> MMA, and not the other way around
Why can there only be one correct path? If someone wants to compete in Judo, they should.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi

Coming a little late to this thread...

@Tigerwarrior I don't know what your coach was advising you to do, it seemed wrong to me
Side control, particularly if they already have passed your frames is probably the hardest position to escape. On the other hand it's a relatively straightforward position to defend yourself from. So, if you defend well, then the person on top has to change position in order to attack. That's generally the time to escape
As @Tony Dismukes says learning to use frames and reestablish frames will greatly increase your ability to defend and escape side control

@Tony Dismukes I think there are loads of good videos out there showing individual techniques, but this is kinda level 1 martial arts. Level 2 if is the combination of techniques (less videos out there) and level 3 is fitting the right technique into moment/situation as it presents itself (very few videos out there)
Maybe something exploring these kind of ideas would be interesting, but I appreciate it's probably hard to convey and these are two very large topics....

Latest Discussions