New instructional DVD being produced - your input needed!

M

MTResearch

Greetings all!

First of all, an introduction: I am a 1st Dan WTF Black Belt, currently studying a technology degree at University. I am currently working on a major project in which I am producing an interactive martial arts instructional multimedia application (that is, a DVD).

Now I’m sure many of you are familiar with the general format of such instructional DVD’s - usually a performer will go through patterns and techniques with the intention of teaching the viewer better and correct technique. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from the martial arts community regarding their experiences with instructional DVD’s, as this would greatly benefit my project.

I’m currently in the research stage of the project, and need to know how other practitioners feel about the quality of current instructional DVD’s that are already on the market. I would be much obliged if as many people as possible could take the time to give me their thoughts and insights on TKD instructional DVD’s, and more specifically:

· What are your own personal experiences with martial arts instructional videos in general?
· If you have ever used a martial arts instructional video, what did you think of it?
· What features would you like to see in a martial arts instructional video?
· What, if anything, do you not like about currently available instructional videos?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you can help me in producing a new and innovative instructional video!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

First of all, an introduction: I am a 1st Dan WTF Black Belt, currently studying a technology degree at University. I am currently working on a major project in which I am producing an interactive TKD instructional multimedia application (that is, a DVD).

Now I’m sure many of you are familiar with the general format of such instructional DVD’s - usually a performer will go through patterns and techniques with the intention of teaching the viewer better and correct technique. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from the TKD community regarding their experiences with instructional DVD’s, as this would greatly benefit my project.

I’m currently in the research stage of the project, and need to know how other TKD practitioners feel about the quality of current instructional DVD’s that are already on the market. I would be much obliged if as many people as possible could take the time to give me their thoughts and insights on TKD instructional DVD’s, and more specifically:

· What are your own personal experiences with martial arts instructional videos in general?
· If you have ever used a martial arts instructional video, what did you think of it?
· What, if anything, do you not like about currently available instructional videos?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you can help me in producing a new and innovative instructional video!

Welcome to Martial Talk!:ultracool

I don't train in TKD, but I can comment on your questions.

1) First and foremost, it is much better to have a live instructor. IMO, some tend to rely on video, dvd, etc., as their sole learning tool. I just don't see how the same quality is going to be transmitted to the student, compared to actually training under someone. Of course quality is another issue. I've seen some that were really put together well, and others not so well.

2) I have a few that seve as a reference tool only. They are not my sole learning tools. If someone already has a solid background in an art, it is possible to take ideas from the video and train them, comparing the moves to what you already know. Again, I don't encourage people to use this as their only tool, especially if they don't even have a background in the art. I don't train TKD, so for me to go out, purchase a video, and expect to actually learn something...how good is the quality going to be?

3) If someone was going to take the time to create one, IMO, it should be as clear and as in-depth as possible. Of course for this to happen, the set would probably consist of more dvds than what is typically sold.

4) The fact that they're misleading. People assume that if they purchase a set, that is all they'll need. They'll be able to learn everything about the given art. But, it just doesn't happen that way.

Mike

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a few MMA ones which vary in usefulness. As MJS has said they are an adjunct to training, you need a good basis for your art before videos are useful.
I use several to learn new moves and escapes from moves, the best ones will show the moves with an explaination then slow down the video to half speed so you can really see what's going on.
I like to see techniques from as many angles as possible and at a slower speed as well, also concentrate on a few techniques done well rather than cram as many in as possible. For an MMA/sparring ( when you are showing TKD sparring techniques it would be useful to see them actually used in a comp) type video the use of the techniques in an actual fight is useful, the only time I think another video should be used as MJS again said it should be a live instructor.

I only use the MMA ones which are on the whole good so can't comment on other styles videos. I think MMA/grappling may lend itself more to videoing as they moves can be slowed down? I'm not sure how you'd go about a TKD video, sorry!

Latest Discussions