Topic requests for new videos?

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bunch of stuff I can do on that topic. Hopefully you are learning at least some of the fundamental side control escapes at your school and of course there are tons of escape technique videos on YouTube already. But I'll try to put together a couple of videos on some concepts that don't always get explained as well as they could be.

What are your go-to techniques that you currently try when you are caught in side control?
Honestly I have a few things I do but they never work. My instructors have shown me several escapes in class but I can't get any of them to work with serious top pressure on me. The 2 I go for are try to frame and get back to guard(which works like 1 out of 100 times for me lol) or get an undertook and get back to my knees, but honestly I have no or almost no skill at this part of bjj, all my other areas are solid, I can even tap blue belts sometimes but if I get put flat on my back I have no answer for that. Can I post videos here? I could post the match I had and you can see. Honestly not my best work but you will see that I don't understand the concepts of it. I've seen tons of escapes but can never pull them off, all the other areas of bjj I was taught concepts and am able to execute those most of the time.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I have a few things I do but they never work. My instructors have shown me several escapes in class but I can't get any of them to work with serious top pressure on me. The 2 I go for are try to frame and get back to guard(which works like 1 out of 100 times for me lol) or get an undertook and get back to my knees, but honestly I have no or almost no skill at this part of bjj, all my other areas are solid, I can even tap blue belts sometimes but if I get put flat on my back I have no answer for that. Can I post videos here? I could post the match I had and you can see. Honestly not my best work but you will see that I don't understand the concepts of it. I've seen tons of escapes but can never pull them off, all the other areas of bjj I was taught concepts and am able to execute those most of the time.
Sure, post a video of your match.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sure, post a video of your match.

This was in 2015, at icon sub only new england, portland,me. Novice heavyweight division. Only video I have of the whole tournament, this was championship match and I blew it. Tried to hit an outside leg trip got swept and put in side control, tried to get out of it but couldn't. Tapped to a Americana. Haven't competed since.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This was in 2015, at icon sub only new england, portland,me. Novice heavyweight division. Only video I have of the whole tournament, this was championship match and I blew it. Tried to hit an outside leg trip got swept and put in side control, tried to get out of it but couldn't. Tapped to a Americana. Haven't competed since.
I'm out of my knowledge on this one so all I have are questions as I try to analyze what I see.
0:00 - 0:04 - Why didn't you seek to control his arms are counter them? What was going in your mind? Were you waiting for something to happen?

0:08 - 0:09 - Why didn't you go with the flow and reposition into a wider stance to stabilize and prevent his effort to take you down. I'm
assuming that a foot or two more to your right would have made it difficult for him to continue the twist.

1674527816893.png

I've been here before. The thing that got me in trouble was trying to create a frame which was probably the wrong place at the wrong time. I knew he wanted that arm and I usually tuck in inward to escape and reposition but that one time I tried to frame it just put my hand and my arm in a bad position. I eventually tapped out almost because the arm started to bend in a bad way. Does the "walking your feet to his head" help? What was going on through your mind?
1674528206828.png

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe some tips for short people on how to close guard?

Other than the fix I figured out today: roll with skinny people.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm out of my knowledge on this one so all I have are questions as I try to analyze what I see.
0:00 - 0:04 - Why didn't you seek to control his arms are counter them? What was going in your mind? Were you waiting for something to happen?

0:08 - 0:09 - Why didn't you go with the flow and reposition into a wider stance to stabilize and prevent his effort to take you down. I'm
assuming that a foot or two more to your right would have made it difficult for him to continue the twist.

View attachment 29518

I've been here before. The thing that got me in trouble was trying to create a frame which was probably the wrong place at the wrong time. I knew he wanted that arm and I usually tuck in inward to escape and reposition but that one time I tried to frame it just put my hand and my arm in a bad position. I eventually tapped out almost because the arm started to bend in a bad way. Does the "walking your feet to his head" help? What was going on through your mind?
View attachment 29520
Good tips! And I'm gonna try to answer your questions bear with me here. So the game plan for this match was kinda on the fly. My coach wanted me to pull guard in all my matches and fight from my guard and half guard because thats where I'm best at. So we did that in all other matches, and had good success. Then my coach saw this guy and told me "switch of game plan Chris, you don't want to be under this guy, I don't want you shooting for takedown because he has a wicked sprawl and he's a well known powerlifter in the area, but you need to take him down and get on top, just don't shoot because his sprawl is killer, also stay off your back get on top and win" so he didn't want me to shoot for a takedown because this guy's legs were solid he could squat more than I weigh and he didn't want me to pull guard or work off my back which is what we did for the most part in the last matches before this. So I had to come up with a game plan on the fly my coach wanted me to take him down but a clinch judo takedown so we were looking for an outside leg trip. I was avoiding his attempts to clinch because I wanted to be the one to establish the clinch and get My under hooks. What ended up happening was I locked up with him and tried to pummel ended up getting an overhook on one side. We didn't really work takedown much for this tournament and I had not much judo training several months but this guy also had some no gi judo training as well and I was rusty from not training judo for so long and only working on the ground for months. So basically I tried to pummel and I know I messed up, my body positioning was way off. Now looking at that video I know there was no way that leg trip could work because of my body positioning, but that was what I was going for. We knew if I got on top I could win, my coach had seen this guy before and if he gets on top most people are screwed at my level, but we knew he couldn't do much from his back so thar was the game plan. Basically what he did to me was what I wanted to do to him lol. You're right at about 08 -09 if I would of took a step to the right I would of been able to get a better position. But this was my first competition and I learned my weaknesses and I also saw my strengths in my other matches, so it was a good learning experience. I've had a hard time trying to get side control escapes down for years and to this day it's my weakest link on the ground. My guard passing is pretty good, my guard and half guard pretty good and my top control and my submissions are decent. I just have a hard time when I get pinned in side and spazz trying to get out of it. The walking escape was an escape we never drilled before but I was listening to my coach and trying to do it from his directions, some of my team mates have used it before, but I personally never drilled it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So the game plan for this match was kinda on the fly.
Ohhhhhh. that's a tough one to do. I don't get any formal teaching for ground fighting so all of that is pretty much on the fly for me lol.

But this was my first competition and I learned my weaknesses and I also saw my strengths in my other matches, so it was a good learning experience.
Yep win or lose always take away some experience to make you better. That a great mindset to have.

I've had a hard time trying to get side control escapes down for years and to this day it's my weakest link on the ground. My guard passing is pretty good, my guard and half guard pretty good and my top control and my submissions are decent. I just have a hard time when I get pinned in side and spazz trying to get out of it.
I suck at all of that lol. I've gotten better at it defending it but still stuck. My lack of flexibility for the ground game takes away options. .

The walking escape was an escape we never drilled before but I was listening to my coach and trying to do it from his directions, some of my team mates have used it before, but I personally never drilled it.
The best thing I've ever heard as a good quality for a wrestler was one who listens to their coach.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

View attachment 29518

View attachment 29520

Hands up in wrestling isn't the best advice.

And a ghost escape against a heavy guy was an ambitious escape.

Sorry quoted the wrong guy.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Play heavy head control in the clinch. If they are big and smothery that should take some of their power out.

And then try the other way. So things like head snaps work for heavy guys.

Also. One thing I found that doesn't come out in drills is the escapes when someone is clamping down isn't one smoth motion. But a set of jerky shoves where you gain a little angle. Keep that. Do another shove and gain a better angle. Untill you get those frames that get you out.

So apart from the technical details which are well worth applying. You will notice how each advantage he gets. He keeps. So that each next moment is easter.

Going for the escape in one movement. Then flopping flat on your back. Makes escaping really hard work. This is any escape.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230124_175559_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_175559_Google.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

So 7 years ago? Have you continued training since then? If so, hopefully you have a better handle on the fundamental escape concepts than you did then.

Honestly I was confused at first as to what you were even trying to do until drop bear mentioned the ghost escape. I don’t know why your coach was encouraging you to try that. Firstly, it’s a bit of an advanced technique for a beginner. Secondly, your arms were completely in the wrong position for the ghost escape. Where they were, you had zero chance of completing that escape. That means the rest of your body movement was completely counterproductive. (If you weren’t trying the ghost, then your coach was just encouraging you to move the wrong direction for no reason at all.)

I’ll try to post a video or two on side control survival and escape this week. In the meantime, here’s a really good video on the correct way to execute the ghost escape.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also. One thing I found that doesn't come out in drills is the escapes when someone is clamping down isn't one smoth motion. But a set of jerky shoves where you gain a little angle. Keep that. Do another shove and gain a better angle. Untill you get those frames that get you out.

So apart from the technical details which are well worth applying. You will notice how each advantage he gets. He keeps. So that each next moment is easter.

Going for the escape in one movement. Then flopping flat on your back. Makes escaping really hard work. This is any escape.
This! Hugely important. It's definitely something I will be touching on in my videos. You want a ratcheting action where you get a little improvement in your position and then don't give it up as you go for the next improvement.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Tigerwarrior . putting the ghost escape aside, try going back to my video on framing and then compare to what you were doing in your match. Specifically, look at the angles that your upper arms were facing compared to the direction your opponent's weight was coming down. Hopefully you can see that they weren't frames at all, but rather levers that you were giving your opponent to control you with.

Part of your problem was that due to the way you got taken down, your opponent was already tight chest-to-chest in side control when you landed on the ground. That makes it more difficult to establish good frames. I'll address how to deal with that in one of my videos. (I plan on making two videos to start with - one for early defense of the position and one for late defense when your opponent already has a tight control.)

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On a related note - does anyone have recommendations for a preferred free video editing tool for Windows? I don't need anything too fancy. I just want to be able to join separate video clips into one video and maybe add some text, freeze frames, and draw some circles and arrows.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Tony Dismukes at what point in this thread did you realize that it went from you doing a couple videos if you couldn't find better examples, to now doing a whole series? Or are you still in denial?
I enjoy talking about martial arts in any way I can, including video. Doing a series sounds like fun - I just want to contribute something that isn't out there already in a better form. Several people have said that they like my explanation of concepts, so that's what I'm going to focus on, because I don't think there's as much of that out there as there is explanation of specific techniques.

That's why I posted the video of Coach Brian showing the ghost escape. He does that better than I do and knows more details. Contrariwise, DB's point about fighting for small, incremental advantages before completing an escape is something which I haven't seen a lot of on YouTube and it's something I regularly teach in my classes, so it should be a good topic for one of my videos.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did record some material on side mount defense this week, but I'm not sure whether I managed to get across the points I wanted in a clear and concise fashion. I might need to edit a few videos together into something coherent.

Speaking of which, I'll repeat my request for recommendations on good free video editing tools for Windows. I asked the question upthread, but it probably got buried in the other discussion.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I'll repeat my request for recommendations on good free video editing tools for Windows. I asked the question upthread, but it probably got buried in the other discussion.
I at least missed that. Don't know any but my brother is in PR/media along with his wife, and does podcast/videos on the side. He just recommended one called davinci resolve. It's got a free and premiere version but per him the free version is "Top of its class".
DaVinci Resolve 18 | Blackmagic Design

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my request for recommendations on good free video editing tools for Windows.
I use "video editor". I can use it to

- cut a small piece of video,
- repeat it,
- connect with other video, and
- change speed to slow or fast.

I then use "online convertor" to convert mp4 file into gif file.

Since all my video are silent video. I like to use video to record principle/strategy such as if you punch me, I'll kick you (leg is longer than arm). So all my video are short and silent. I don't know how good the video editor works for audio.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions