Disagreeing is fine, just explain why

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
From time to time people disagree with each other on the forum. There have been times when people have marked down that they disagree with posts of mine. That's fine to disagree, as a matter of fact sometimes its good to disagree and sometimes I want people to disagree with me because it brings about a challenge and I like to see their point of view. Doing so can help me with my growth in developing my own points of view and can sometimes change or influence a change in my points of view. So, as I said its fine to disagree and sometimes its good, I would just like to ask that if you do disagree with me about stuff to please explain why.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why is disagreeing different than liking or agreeing? I've heard people say things like This before, but never seen anyone complain about folks agree ing without comment.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
By way of explanation, green is the color of plants which makes me think not global warming. Which led to thinking about tree hugging hippies. And I hate those guys.

I am colorblind and do not appreciate you flaunting your ability to differentiate colors over me.

But I have a degree in forestry or Timber Pimping as I used to call it.... so I am supportive of your dislike of tree hugging hippies.

So I think we are good.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why is disagreeing different than liking or agreeing? I've heard people say things like This before, but never seen anyone complain about folks agree ing without comment.
There can be many different reasons that you disagree with someone. But when you agree with someone, there is only one reason and you don't need to repeat it again.

For example.

A: Blue is pretty.
B: Agree (that mean I also think blue is pretty).

B: Disagree.
A: Which color do you think is pretty?
B: Red (or yellow, white, ...)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
From time to time people disagree with each other on the forum. There have been times when people have marked down that they disagree with posts of mine. That's fine to disagree, as a matter of fact sometimes its good to disagree and sometimes I want people to disagree with me because it brings about a challenge and I like to see their point of view. Doing so can help me with my growth in developing my own points of view and can sometimes change or influence a change in my points of view. So, as I said its fine to disagree and sometimes its good, I would just like to ask that if you do disagree with me about stuff to please explain why.
Agreed 100%

People that click that button without a follow up post are straight pussies.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
There can be many different reasons that you disagree with someone. But when you agree with someone, there is only one reason and you don't need to repeat it again.

For example.

B: Agree (that mean I also think blue is pretty).

B: Disagree.
A: Which color do you think is pretty?
B: Red (or yellow, white, ...)

That is a good example but Im thinking more along the lines of this.

A: Blue is pretty
B: Disagree
A: Why don't you like blue?
B: (explains why)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Reason I disagreed with you in this thread.... well...you said you wanted me to....I'm just trying to help..... other than that... I got nothin'

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am colorblind and do not appreciate you flaunting your ability to differentiate colors over me.

But I have a degree in forestry or Timber Pimping as I used to call it.... so I am supportive of your dislike of tree hugging hippies.

So I think we are good.
You're wrong.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
When someone disagrees with you, at least you know that person has read your post. You are not on that person's "ignore list".
Ignoring I save for people like jj who can't read or write. He is actually the only guy on it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both Disagree and Dislike should not bother you. What may bother you is after your post, that thread is complete dead. There are no more posts after that. It may make you to wonder, "How did I just kill that thread?"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see your point. I prefer that folks explain their disagreement, because it may enlighten me or expose where I've been unclear. Or, it may not do either. But i can't know until I know what they disagree with. I usually will comment on my own disagreement, and am more likely to comment than to click the "disagree" button, in fact. But every now and then, I disagree with the entirety of a post - content and tone - and a simple "disagree" click seems sufficient.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed 100%

People that click that button without a follow up post are straight pussies.

Do we have to be subjected to that sort of language?

No, not joking.

Latest Discussions