Tolerance at the university, Bristol Palin axed

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an article about Bristol Palin being dropped as a panel member at a university's sex education week. She was going to represent the abstinence side of the issue. Outrage that she would be so rude as to sit on the panel has led to her being kicked off of the panel. Yeah free thought on campus.

http://bigjournalism.com/jburns/201...ol-palin-spreads-oppression-bigotry-and-hate/

The lovely, lady Bristol.
Bristol Palin was contacted recently by Washington University in St. Louis’ Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)– an adjunct committee of their student government, the student union (SU) – to be the keynote speaker in a 4 person panel on “[sexual] abstinence in a college setting” during the university’s annual “Sex Week.” Previous “Sex Weeks” saw abstinence proponents poorly represented, if at all. SHAC had apparently selected Palin because they thought it would draw positive publicity and discussion to the event.
Not so, however, as the announcement of Bristol’s selection drew an outcry from vocal opponents, who cited peer pressure and general contempt as factors motivating their disapproval of Bristol:
“I have been getting emails, text messages [and] phone calls from people at universities across the country, laughing at me. Everyone is so riled up about this that there’s not even a point of bringing her here, nobody is going to be able to listen,” junior Ryan McCombe said.
And after a day or two of protest attacks against SHAC, the SU capitulated and announced they had axed Bristol from the panel, because, “the controversy surrounding her appearance would overshadow the event’s intended message of sexual responsibility.”

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't she the one who got knocked up? I wouldn't think someone who did so, would make a good spokesperson for abstinence. That 'not credible' thing.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
This is an article about Bristol Palin being dropped as a panel member at a university's sex education week. She was going to represent the abstinence side of the issue. Outrage that she would be so rude as to sit on the panel has led to her being kicked off of the panel. Yeah free thought on campus.

From Washington U's Student Life Newspaper:

The proposed speaker that had Washington University students in an uproar for nearly two days is no longer scheduled to appear on campus.
Bristol Palin, 20, was expected to be the keynote speaker at this year’s Sexual Responsibility Week. But her $20,000 price tag led students to contest Student Union Treasury’s funding decision, arguing that she is unqualified to speak about the subject of abstinence on a college campus.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would like to see the roster of other qualified speakers from other events on campus. I am positively sure that the list is long and undistinguished in a lot of ways. I am always curious about the thought that she cannot speak about abstinence because she was a teen mom. If anyone can speak to this issue, and the many, many problems that go with teen pregnancy it would be a teen mom. People always talk about catholic priests not being able to give marriage counseling because they cannot marry. Palin got pregnant, and is fortunate to have parents who are in a position to help her out.

Who would they rather speak for the abstinence side of the issue. Someone who isn't a teen mom, suffering the consequences of that choice, (even though Bristol Palin has wealthy parents who are helping her, there are still life changing consequences to her decision), and who doesn't have the name recognition to actually bring attention to the issue?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She wanted $20,000 dollars to be on the panel? Wow!
If her message was that important to her she'd do it for free or at least bed and board. Seems like she wants to make money out of her 'message'.

I'd come across and say anything they like for that sort of money!

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If her message was that important to her she'd do it for free or at least bed and board. Seems like she wants to make money out of her 'message'.

It's not all that unusual here.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please refrain from using such violent rhetoric. We don't want to see anyone go all Lizzy Borden on Ms. Palin. Thank you.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't she the one who got knocked up? I wouldn't think someone who did so, would make a good spokesperson for abstinence. That 'not credible' thing.

I disagree, particularly if her and her partner had used a condom. The only better spokesperson for abstinence would, in addition to being pregnant, have an STD or two.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I disagree, particularly if her and her partner had used a condom. The only better spokesperson for abstinence would, in addition to being pregnant, have an STD or two.
Good point.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a cheaper spokesperson for abstinence could be found, I find it odd that people want to make money from giving their point of view to students. I'm all for debate but this is commerce not debate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is no such thing as 'free' speech in America after all?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Actually cheap, she is getting reportedly 35k per speech. I really think it's a hoot and a half, I am sure life as teenage mom in the governors mansion was ruffin it...
I am pretty sure there are women out there who had the real deal teenage pregnancy with all the hardships that come with it to speak more credible about it.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes Granfire, go to any highschool in the U.S. and you will find those tragic stories, but she brings celebrity and attention to the issue that someone from an ordinary highschool wouldn't.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes Granfire, go to any highschool in the U.S. and you will find those tragic stories, but she brings celebrity and attention to the issue that someone from an ordinary highschool wouldn't.

The cult of the celebrity.
Looking at her and seeing how much money and celebrity she is getting is more likely to make teenagers follow her into the single mother lifestyle rather than warn them off.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is a great point Tez, perhaps Bristol can address that during the question and answer session at the panel....Oh, that's right, they kicked her off of the panel. Never mind.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

ditto. heck for that i'd probably run down a extremely busy highway stark naked.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think the show is called teenage mom, airs on MTV....

Point is, she has no earthy idea what a regular teenage mom is going through, yeah, she was 16 when she got knocked up, but that's about were all the similarities end.

She sets about as good an example as Octomom...