to touch or not to touch

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always use control on my techs, never pull the puch or the kick, instead I try to use full speed with some contact.

Last night I saw my classmates doing techs and noticed they actually don't hit, I mean they position is away from the partner, their movements are slopy and they simply pull the blow from the contact area, I performed hiting,punching and kicking with controled moves and not only touching my partner(s) but hiting them without any harm.

I tried to encorauge the classmates to feel the tech and say hitting is a must, that we don't have to ko the partner or took their breath away but actually feel the impact in both ways, I mean the one who recieves the blow and the the one who delivers it.

I think it does not harm to touch a little.

One of the 4 classmates whom I was worked on got the message and performed as I wanted, we did very good techs with character,speed and acuracy and without harming each other even when kicking the groin area.

Don't know if guys are afraid to been hit or kick, but we are doing self defense techs not playing with dolls. The way you train is the way you fight.

Manny

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night I saw my classmates doing techs and noticed they actually don't hit, I mean they position is away from the partner, their movements are slopy and they simply pull the blow from the contact area, I performed hiting,punching and kicking with controled moves and not only touching my partner(s) but hiting them without any harm.

That's how I trained way back as a white belt in Shorin-Ryu..The Senior black belts could have beaten the chicken soup outta me but they didnt, they used just enough power for me to feel it...

I tried to encorauge the classmates to feel the tech and say hitting is a must, that we don't have to ko the partner or took their breath away but actually feel the impact in both ways, I mean the one who recieves the blow and the the one who delivers it.

I agree

One of the 4 classmates whom I was worked on got the message and performed as I wanted, we did very good techs with character,speed and acuracy and without harming each other even when kicking the groin area.

I hope you all had a cup...

Don't know if guys are afraid to been hit or kick, but we are doing self defense techs not playing with dolls. The way you train is the way you fight.Manny

One of the police instructors I worked with called getting hit in class Pain Inoculation..That way if you get hit in a real fight you dont panic and freeze up..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always use control on my techs, never pull the puch or the kick, instead I try to use full speed with some contact.

Don't know if guys are afraid to been hit or kick, but we are doing self defense techs not playing with dolls. The way you train is the way you fight.

Manny

This, Manny, is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves in the arts. I hate nothing more, than when I'm doing techs., and my partner goes to choke and it feels more like a shoulder massage or punches, and stops 5in. away from my face. Even if you're going thru techs. light, I still think there should be some realism to them. In other words, when you choke, put your hands on the neck and give a light squeeze. Other times, when you're going heavy, really put it on.

Going only part way, vs full on, you'll see a drastic difference. Personally, I dislike working with people like that...the ones that dont want to be hit, dont hit me, do techs. sloppy or halfass. If you're not there to train and bust your ***, then get the hell out of the class, because you're taking away from those that do want to learn.

Keep training hard, and dont let the ones that are slackers get you down. :)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i REQUIRE my students to make contact, and I will dress them down if they dont

"no contact" schools should be re-named "no learning" schools

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.I hate nothing more, than when I'm doing techs., and my partner goes to choke and it feels more like a shoulder massage or punches, and stops 5in. away from my face. Even if you're going thru techs. light, I still think there should be some realism to them. In other words, when you choke, put your hands on the neck and give a light squeeze. Other times, when you're going heavy, really put it on.

Yup...I attended a ground survival school for LEO's and we were required to really pour it on if we could tolerate it..Talk about realism..I have a 200+lbs officer sitting on my chest squeezing my neck and mean REALLY squeezing..Now that was training...

.Going only part way, vs full on, you'll see a drastic difference. Personally, I dislike working with people like that...the ones that dont want to be hit, dont hit me, do techs. sloppy or halfass. If you're not there to train and bust your ***, then get the hell out of the class, because you're taking away from those that do want to learn.

Keep training hard, and dont let the ones that are slackers get you down. :)

It saddens me that I can no longer train with the intensity I use too, aka being slammed down...The injuries I sustained in the line of duty have made that impossible..But I still train and teach...If I put a hold on a student I will tell them If dont feel pain from their escape technique I am gonna increase the force, that kind of intense training I can still do..

Off Topic Comment: One of the departments that I use to work for would not let me hold regular classes for the officers..They were afraid that someone would get hurt during training..

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to be a little rough, for example when I do crashing wings I come from behind my partner in a rush,grab him and lift him from the ground to work in a almost real scenario and yes I squeeze a little with my grab, and when it's my turn to defend myself I like my partner be a little rough too, we need to feel the atack and we need to feel the couteratack.

One of my classmates is a big guy like myself but he's so sloopy that I have to ask him to be a little rude and try to intimidate me and yes some times we puch a little harder but that's the name of the game.

Last week in my TKD class I show a couple of guys some kenpo techs, one of them uses some kind of triggered salute but using a claw hand delivered to my trachea and yes he blow was hard enough to cause me discofort, I smiled to my partner and said.. You got it! Thats the way to do it! if your blow is more poweful you can rupture the trachea and can incapacitate a bad guy but... for practicing in the dojo the way you punch me is very good.

Manny

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You ain't training if there's not some discomfort and risk of mild injury. You're just dancing.

It's easy to block punches that don't have any real force and aren't even in range. But you won't be able to handle the real thing if that's all you've faced...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's easy to block punches that don't have any real force and aren't even in range. But you won't be able to handle the real thing if that's all you've faced...
That's the real point. If the attack has no intent you don't have to do anything to defend. At times with body punches I will get my partner to actually hit me. Then I will ask him to hit harder. Now his attack will be real, just he doesn't know that I am going to respond. My action against his attack takes him by surprise because he is actually focussed on hitting me hard. :asian:

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Look at his comments near the end on control. It's not pulling, it's control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is paramount to understanding is you can FEEL the tech. Personally, if I don't have some bruises at the end of class I don't feel like I trained well.

However, we all wear cups so groin shots always have more zing on them. :eek:

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good thread...

I actually believe in the "pain inoculation" mentioned above. You literally need to learn to take a shot in order to not panic or curl-up in the street.

We cater the techniques and contact to the individual and/or skill level and try to not get carried away. In Kara-Ho Kempo at green belt for example we start to turn it on and that is when the real growth happens (IMHO).

Our newest school is a commercial deal so we need to walk the fine line of hard training and "bad" business carefully.

I have actually been "counseled" by my teacher recently for being "too tough" on students. This would be a good thing as long as the definition for being "too tough" isn't:

• Requiring students to do a sweep, throw or takedown if it is IN THE TECHNIQUE they are doing. (I even put out the mats for this- GEESH)
  • Requiring students to exercise the proper etiquette (Bowing, paying respects to BB's, etc.)
  • Admonishing them for "talking back" to the instructors. (No explanation should be necessary)
I could go on...I take self-defense seriously and our system is known for hard and sincere training. Not many folks make it to Blackbelt in Kara-Ho and that is something we wear as a badge of honor.
James

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think contact is good, with the understanding that resistance and contact should be progressive. Less experienced folk get less intensity, increasing as they get used to it. Higher ranks should be prepared for occasional hobbling, seeing stars, or heaving. LOL.

tomshem

White Belt
Reaction score
Nothing peeves me more when I see my students doing that... I tell them they are training themselves to miss...

Of course, I love it when they make bold statements about how a technique won't work... so I have to "show" them... hehehehe

and finally, too much contact also defeats the purpose as the uki will then flinch or tighten up or twist out of the way, making the whole exercise worthless with both sides fustrated having learned nothing! and further, neither person quite trusting the other... *sigh*

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, I love it when they make bold statements about how a technique won't work... so I have to "show" them... hehehehe

LOL....There is ALWAYS one in every class...When attending the police instructors class they brought in a 6th Dan in Judo to show us the Shim-Waza or the choke out..Yes, one of these idiots walked up to him and said no one could do it to him..You would not believe how fast he went out...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my own school and the school I am currently training in, we encourage and are encouraged to make contact. And most of the time it is fairly heavy on the contact. I feel it helps the students to get the technique correct if they are making some good ol' fashioned contact. Its not like anyone is trying to kill anyone in class, but I am sure to many outsiders it looks and sounds like we are beating the crap out of each other.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When a full powered punch, traveling at full speed, reaches full extension, it only lacks distance to do damage. Once we understand this distance factor we can do some real damage. When training with a partner, contact is always good, but proper distance is the key over just hitting them. I feel that once you learn the length of your arms and legs while keeping form and structure, you will bridge the difference between truly striking someone, or "hit/pushing" them. Heavy punching bags are notorious for teaching us to push rather then strike a target. I fully agree with everyone on this thread as long as it is full power with controlled distance, as opposed to pulling or decelerating the hit at contact. Now to make a long story short, yes, hitting is very good.
icon12.gif

chubbybutdangerous

White Belt
Reaction score
:asian:Greetings,
I also agree that contact is a must even if just a "love tap". I believe (and have witnessed) that people fight how they train. In other words if you train to "miss" your chances are greater that you will miss in real time. I feel that purposely "missing" can mess up your timing and especially your sense of range. Besides, you never really "know" a technique or application unless you both do it with some realism to someone else and have it done to you. I especially believe this to be true with locks/wrenches/chokes etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't try to rip anybody's arms out of their sockets, I pride myself in caring for my training partners/students. But "knowing about a technique/application" and being able to execute it effectively are two completely different things in my book. On the other hand, I think making full contact with no precautions or doing it just to prove how macho you are, without considering the welfare of your training partner/students is just moronic.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe like everyone else here, that contact is a must. Cups will be busted, ribs will be bruised and black eyes are par for the course. The fight how you train is dead on. I have been hit by students in the mouth when I've told them to punch, then turned to say something else and they've punched. Who's fault, mine of course for not blocking. In the BB class, we actually try to break each others cup.

Its one thing to go slow when learning the tech, but when you have a fist coming at your face at full speed, you have a tendency of moving a lot faster.

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad my teacher shows control and only touches to cause the uke to react when he shows us new techniques.

We "touch" enough to make the uke react, but we don't hit even close to half power to our intended targets. There's got to be some control, otherwise there won't be anyone around to train with. Besides, the continued lack of control by any of us training essentially allows for paybacks...as they say, "payback's a *****!"

Latest Discussions