Continus... I liked

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last sunday I went to a kenpo small competition, in fact the only men that fight were my classmates Gabor, Orlando, Serge and Eduardo, I did not compete I just want to see how continus fight is. Plenty of children that competed in forms (kata) stick fighting (using a flexible not harming stick) and point fighting.

Eduardo fought against 3 teens, Eduardo is a teen too, he won the first two matches and given he fought without a break in the final he ran out of gas with his oponent who passed by without fighting till the final match. Watching this teen fights I really did not like them at all, almost cero kicks and only boxing but boxing in a weird messing way, I mean without tech, Eduardo tried to fought clean using feet and punches but his oponentes clinched a lot shooting short blows at very close distance.

When the men division opens and saw the only 3 guys where for the same dojo and friends I told them to fight fair, doing good kicks and punches and to put away wild techs, I told them: Let's fight properly you don't have to kill each other.

What I saw was amazing, all the guys kick a.... and performed amaizing, the fights were very exiting with exelent punches and fast kicks even to the head, Gabor,Serge and Orlando fought each other in a roud robin and this guys deserve all my respect about continus fighting.

I was corner judge in point fighting and in continus fighting, so I pay atention to the fights closely.

I liked continus fighting a lot.

Manny

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, perhaps this is my ignorance speaking, but it isn't clear to me why you consider the approach used by your friend's opponents to be improper ("his oponentes clinched a lot shooting short blows at very close distance.") To me, based on your short description, it sounds like they were using good kenpo, which is very effective in close quarters and emphasizes checking your opponent's weapons. Can you please clarify for me what, in your opinion, was innappropriate?

Thanks! :)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, perhaps this is my ignorance speaking, but it isn't clear to me why you consider the approach used by your friend's opponents to be improper ("his oponentes clinched a lot shooting short blows at very close distance.") To me, based on your short description, it sounds like they were using good kenpo, which is very effective in close quarters and emphasizes checking your opponent's weapons. Can you please clarify for me what, in your opinion, was innappropriate?

Thanks! :)

Sure, well even the teens delivered a few good blows, almost all the punches were in such a wild way that most of the blows were no efective hitting the arms and most of the blows were to the air (you know wild hooks that don't conect), when I said that my friends (men) fight very well was because they make every punch and kick count with good tech and timing.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, this post let me thinkinging all day yestarday and I think I got the message Jenny in Chico wanted to me to know. In an actual street fight the rougher you are is the best, so if you got in a clinch you must hit hard and nasty.

Howevere in a tournament I like the most to see exiting fights were kicks and punches are from both fighters, hoeevere there are some times your oponent is rough and sticks at you like an stamp and you need to create reach to hit him.

Manny

Latest Discussions