to the instructors: did i do something wrong

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i taught my first class the other day (tuesday) there was only a lvl 4 instructor and lvl 3 and then me (lvl 1), yesterday there was only a lvl 5 instructor and a lvl 4 and i did not recieve my own class, did i do something wrong...?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could just be that they weren't all on the same page, there were already enough instructors...

That's the kind of thing that's best settled by talking to them after class. Anything else is just guessing.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
4 + 3 + 1 = 8
5 + 4 = 9 :)

See the last reply.. maybe it just wasnt neccesary!

What are their so many instructor levels anyway?

Stuart

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i taught my first class the other day (tuesday) there was only a lvl 4 instructor and lvl 3 and then me (lvl 1), yesterday there was only a lvl 5 instructor and a lvl 4 and i did not recieve my own class, did i do something wrong...?
Yes, you omitted capitalization, and used commas as periods. Yes, grammar is important.

There are any number of possibilities why you weren't given a class to teach. Perhaps there was no one in need of an instructor at your level that day. Or that they felt that you needed some instruction, rather than instructing time. Or someone just plain forgot...

Ask your teachers, and ask them to critique your instruction. We can't become better teachers without feedback, good and bad.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All you can do is ask your teacher and see if you did something wrong, remember there are alot of different possilbilties out there.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hey, it's so much easier to understand your point if you type it out for real instead of l33t spk or shorthand - and it's ... kinda ... against the rules. :)

I would ask your master flat out if there is a reason, if there's something you need to work on.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it depends (I actually forgot what level instructor I am, I think it's 2, Black/red collar) I seldom teach my own class, but I make sure to assist the instructor leading the work out. being on the floor, explaining stuff, correcting mistakes, hold targets etc.

Your level used to be the Tiger team, the class volunteers. Some school can't do without, others never had them.

The best thing you discuss this with your instructor or the center manager, which ever applies. This is also a good way to get some feedback.

You are still low on the rank, student and instructor wise, you will get more chances to teach.

In all, chances are you won't get too many assignments just yet. Parents usually don't get that MA stuff and they won't have it too long that a non Black belt teaches all of their kid's lessons. Just be dressed, ready to jump in, fix belts and help out.

And no, this is not chat speak, it's ITA terminology...and kinda confusing...

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, it's so much easier to understand your point if you type it out for real instead of l33t spk or shorthand - and it's ... kinda ... against the rules. :)

I would ask your master flat out if there is a reason, if there's something you need to work on.

i can still type "teh deadlies" can't i? i mean, it's not against rules if it's limited & ironic, is it?

jf

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:) I'm guessing the answer is no. I'm also going to assume, for the sake of argument, that this is a single class, and it divides up into belt ranks after warm ups, with one instructor for a group of students, another for another, etc? (I can't otherwise see 3 separate classes going on at once unless the school was gigantic).
In our school, we do break down most of the time to teach directly to belt levels, but one when particular Master comes by (he teaches once a month or so) he is the only instructor, and leads the entire class for the duration. It all flows from what the head instructor wants to do, and how he wants to instruct. So, I'd say don't read anything into it at this early stage in your instruction career, keep doing what you are doing and trying to improve like everyone else, and enjoy the weekend :)

OP
firerex

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
basically level 1 is white and yellow belt instruction qualified, 2 is all color belts, 3 and 4 are the same just an age difference and 5 is like master, but the other day we had more kids there but oh well

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
basically level 1 is white and yellow belt instruction qualified, 2 is all color belts, 3 and 4 are the same just an age difference and 5 is like master, but the other day we had more kids there but oh well

LOL, I am sure you got that a bit mixed up.

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have any problems or questions then you're better taking them up with your instructor. Otherwise, any answers on here might not be specific enough to your situation (especially as there's not an awful lot of detail & background for us to go on).

It may be that your head instructor doesn't want you teaching/leading groups all the time when you've only just started your instructor training.

I know that when I was still practising Karate and I first began to teach classes, as a 2nd Kyu, my instructor would call on me to lead the warm up, or to have me teach a small group of beginners for 15 mins or so or have me lead a pad session, but not to take a full lesson straight away and certainly not to teach or lead every time I trained. It was only once I passed 1st kyu and then 1st Dan that I taught full classes and even then it wasn't as common an occurrance as it was when I passed 2nd Dan.

Learning to be an instructor takes time. Learning to be a GOOD instructor takes more time and you should follow the examples of those instructors/teachers who you feel are good instructors and think about what makes them a good instructor, rather than just someone who knows the moves.

Latest Discussions