instructing

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so im a level one instructor and a senior red belt at my academy, i've been lvl one since sr brown (about 6 months now) my instructor gave me a teaching assignment the other day and i have a feeling im gonna get another one today, im just curious if any other instructor remembers their first class to teach and if they have any pointers

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a colored belt, I remember giving too much detail when just trying to teach a simple roundhouse kick to a white belt. I'm afraid I just overwhelmed her with information. It was good information for someone who thinks and learns like I do, not so good for her. My teacher at the time gently walked over and simplified the lesson for her.

I was acutely embarrassed at the time, as I felt like an idiot, but it was a good experience for me. Good teachers adapt to their audience rather than droning on and on. Bueller... Bueller?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is so much that can be said but I like to start with always setting the example since students are watching you carefully. Being positive, professional, encouraging, explaining clearly what you want, respectful, and noticing how each student is doing are just a few examples of that.

OP
firerex

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
he gave me the tiger cubs which is basically a 30 minute class for 4, 5, and 6 yr olds to learn how to escape if some one grabs, basics of punching and kicking and at the end a fun drill for them

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Breathe. It makes everything better. If you get lost or feel overwhelmed, perform calisthenics. They can be a lifesaver for the new instructor.

Keep It Short and Simple.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
he gave me the tiger cubs which is basically a 30 minute class for 4, 5, and 6 yr olds to learn how to escape if some one grabs, basics of punching and kicking and at the end a fun drill for them

Sounds like ITA stuff.

If I am correct, break out a lesson planner and put down what you want to do.

I taught the munchkins before. They are fun, but usually don't do well with a serious program. You need to keep it high energy, and keep their attention.

You can work on the requirements a bit, change directions, make it all a fun game, but don't forget the discipline (like answering when spoken to).

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
Try not to pick any favorites in the class. There will always be one student better than the others so I think it's important not to spend too much focus on one student. At the same time, their will be instances where a student (kids especially) dont like to listen or learn, so it's important not to spend too much time with them either, because either they will listen or they wont. So it's good to know who's listening and willing to learn and who is not, but dont be too subjective to the better students.

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
As you will be teaching the diddlies then remember to keep it fun, keep it simple and keep giving them different things to do, as a 4 year olds attention span is often quite small. That's not to say you shouldn't practice things several times, or try to cram loads into the lesson, but don't spend quite as much time on a particular technique or drill as you would with older children or with adults.

Also, don't forget to praise lots and use constructive criticism. Try to remember the things about your instructor that you like and what makes them a good teacher and try to copy that yourself.

Above all, be yourself. Kids (even little 'uns) have a knack for knowing when someone is trying too hard or is acting differently to how they would normally, so just be you.

Above all, smile and be relaxed. The more tense and nervous you are, then the lesson is more likely to go badly. If something does go wrong or a particular drill doesn't work then don't spend ages trying to force it to work or keep agonising over it, just move onto something else and learn from the experience.

Good luck. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man mine was so long ago but if memory serves me right I just followed what my instructor did and stay with basic techniques I was more comfitable with.

Latest Discussions