To dip or not to dip

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here has thought about it, the only people who do anything about etiquette are the military when they have to and I suppose the Olympic people responsible for putting flags up at medal ceremonies. One thing that concerned a lot of us who saw it was the German politician doing Nazi salutes to the German team from the VIP stand! Honestly, I even played it back to see if what we saw was correct!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...rforming-Nazi-salute-at-opening-ceremony.html

The video is blocked...all 4 seconds of it...oh my.

However, reading who he is and what he stands for, I don't see were he intended to invoke the dark ghosts of Olympic past (which btw, according to some sources, he offered himself as hostage in 72 in exchange for the Israely athletes....)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might show

Inadvertant or not it gave a lot of people a nasty moment I'm afraid. The war days cast a long shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This might show

Inadvertant or not it gave a lot of people a nasty moment I'm afraid. The war days cast a long shadow.

It actually looks like a Marti Grass salute to me. (which is actually a surprise because he isn't from Karneval stock....)

But I do get the reaction: I too a picture of my boy scouts at an important function. all boys were in their uniforms, throwing up their right hands in scout salute....I can tell you my eyes bugged out for a few seconds when I saw it on the computer screen!

However, I don't see the nazi salute...I am wondering if the man had a stroke...who waves with their left?! His right was just hanging down his side, really odd.

If you can stomach it...you see what I mean, that wavy motion across the body...and no, even though they are smiling, this has little to do with fun! :D

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually, when frst reading the thread title, I thought of this;

LennyDykstra1.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Marine Corps, when we 'Pass in Review' at a parade, we have the USMC flag and the US flag at the front of the formation. The USMC flag is dipped for the review, but the US flag is not, ever. We have been told that that the US flag is never dipped for any reason. By the same token, we stand at attention for the national anthem of other countries, but we salute only our own flag.

I've always enjoyed this song by The Beat (The English Beat in the US):

[video=youtube_share;2A_UrMdYFFA]http://youtu.be/2A_UrMdYFFA[/video]

The lyrics may be somewhat anti-nationalist, which I get, but I still like this stanza:

Yes, I'll be down your street again quite soon
And don't ignore me when I wave at you
For although I'm looking rather sad
I'm all you've ever really had
And when you're desperate, you will hold me
Hold me to that

Latest Discussions