Common Place Names

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In another thread Tez mentioned the Channel Islands, referring, of course to the islands closest, geographically, to her. Having grown up in Ventura, CA, when I hear Channel Islands, I think of a completely different group of islands, also called the Channel Islands. I mentioned this in a PM, and it occurred to me that there are a whole lot of places on Earth that share a name:

London, is of course the capital of the UK, but, were you aware there are EIGHT Londons in the US?
Moscow is the capital of Russia, but, did you know there are Fourteen Moscows in the US?
As well as being a city in Ireland there are more than 14 Dublins in the US.
Were Americans of the past so lacking in imagination that they repeated names over and over? Or was there some other factor(s)?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Often times they were immigrants who were homesick. Or maybe they were hoping to create a place as beautiful and well-known as the one they named it for. Look at the names of some of our eastern states for example:New York, New Hampshire,New Jersey. They`re all named after parts of England. In fact the whole area is reffered to as New England. Then there`s New Zealand, the New Hebridees, New Guinea. (I couldn`t tell you where the old ones are)

And Just down the road from me in Hokkaido is a city called Kitahiroshima, or "North Hiroshima" if you want. It was founded in the 1800`s by settlers from Hiroshima.
One of my favorites though is The Simpsons town of Springfield......I beleive there`s a Springfield in just about every state.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its kind of interesting that the settlers in a new world named towns after places (or people) that were familiar to them.

By contrast, the indigenous tribes named places by description.

Potomac - place of burning pines (council fires)
Massachusetts - tribe of the great hill
Connecticut - long river
Quebec - obstructed current

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I think its kind of interesting that the settlers in a new world named towns after places (or people) that were familiar to them.

By contrast, the indigenous tribes named places by description.

Potomac - place of burning pines (council fires)
Massachusetts - tribe of the great hill
Connecticut - long river
Quebec - obstructed current

My favorite: Manhattan. Place where we got drunk last night. :lfao:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Oh you're bad :p

No, really. The island was a swamp, and pretty useless to the natives, who mostly lived along the Hudson, on Long Island and up in the Bronx (named for the farmer who settled there, Bronck-it's "Bronck's" farm) but it was just what the Dutch were looking for to get beaver fur. After a night of partying, and prior to the famous "$24 of trinkets" deal, the Dutch asked what the place was called, to which they replied, Manahactanien or place of inebriation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the stories from Australia where supposedly a white man asked an Aborigine what the hill was called he could see in the distance, the Aborigine replied that in his language it was a hill, so the white man thinking it would be good to call it by it's Aboriginal name gave it that, so now you have a hill called a hill.

I live close to Richmond, the very first one, older than the one in Surrey even.

I think many settlers and immigrants hadn't wanted to leave their homelands but were forced to due to poverty or oppression so named places for a sense of home.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, really. The island was a swamp, and pretty useless to the natives, who mostly lived along the Hudson, on Long Island and up in the Bronx (named for the farmer who settled there, Bronck-it's "Bronck's" farm) but it was just what the Dutch were looking for to get beaver fur. After a night of partying, and prior to the famous "$24 of trinkets" deal, the Dutch asked what the place was called, to which they replied, Manahactanien or place of inebriation.

Hmmm, you sure? Menahan means island, and the suffix -itan referrs to the water's current. Menahanitan simply means an island formed by the water's current. No, not useful to the natives at all, so they had little to say about it :lol:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Hmmm, you sure? Menahan means island, and the suffix -itan referrs to the water's current. Menahanitan simply means an island formed by the water's current. No, not useful to the natives at all, so they had little to say about it :lol:

Another attribution has it as meaning island of many hills, -of course, I don't think that's a particularly apt name for Manhattan, though it does have a couple of hills. One that escapes me has something to do with trees, but the one I posted, Manahactanien, really does mean "place where we get drunk."

At least, that's the way it was always told to me.....:lfao:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The "Hudson River" is another interesting one-some natives called it Shattemuc, or "river that flows both ways," others called it Mahkannittuk or Muhheakunnuk, which mean, well.....river that flows both ways... :lfao: The west branch of the Hudson was called Skanehtade- this is where the city of Schenectady gets its name-it's got something to do with sand, I think....the Iroquois and Mohawks still call the Hudson Cahohatatea, which means.......river that flows both ways.:lfao:

I miss home, lately......
thumbnail.aspx

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a fascinating subject, the origin of names, particularly in countries that have been around for a while. English place names can have roots millenia deep and have transformed many times over the centuries.

Here is a good site for digging into the past: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~aezins//kepn.php

Last edited:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I note that my town isn't given much in the way of detail on the site I linked above, so to show how even simple names can have complex backgrounds here is the history:

It is generally agreed that Stone gets its name from the cairn of stones or "stanas" (Anglo-Saxon) that was built by Queen Ermenilda according to Saxon tradition over the grave of her sons circa 670AD. It was her husband, King Wulthere of Mercia who lived at a fortress at Bury Bank. He was a pagan but converted to Christianity in order to marry Ermenilda, once married he reverted to paganism and refused to allow his sons Wulfad and Rufin to be brought up as Christians, though he allowed his daughter Werburgh of Trentham to follow her mother's religion.
The two princes were converted to Christianity by Chad of Lichfield whom they met when chasing down a white hart, which led them to the hermit. It was the pagan Werebode, an unsuccessful suitor of Werburgh, who told their father of their conversion. Wulthere swore to kill his sons and rode after them, killing Rufin at Burston and Wulfad at Stone. Later, filled with remorse Wulthere allowed his Queen to build a priory on the site of their sons' grave. A reredos of the slaying and Wulthere's conversion stands in St.Dominic's church.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a fascinating subject, the origin of names, particularly in countries that have been around for a while. English place names can have roots millenia deed and have transformed many times over the centuries.

Here is a good site for digging into the past: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~aezins//kepn.php

I have a question for you, Mark. The town of Berlin, New Hampshire. Named after the capital of Germany. How would an Englishman such as yourself pronounce it? Is the stress on the first syllable or the last?

Reason why I ask is that Berlin, Germany we (Americans) pronounce with the stress on the last syllable (Bur-LINN), but Berlin, NH is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable and little emphasis on the last (BURR-len). I know this used to be a British way of pronouncing the town, but I wasn't sure if it still was. Just curious :)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, we (or at least I) pronounce Berlin with the rising primary emphasis on the first syllable and falling emphasis on the second - BURR Linn

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The natives had Toronto. Simcoe renamed it York. But the way people differentiated York, Canada and New York, USA was Muddy York. York voted in the 18th Century to change the name to Toronto because they liked the native name better and to stop being called Muddy York. Every spring, I can see why it was called Muddy York.

Canada means "village." When explorers asked what this place was called, they were told Canada. Looks like something was lost in translation.

The geography confuses a Brit. London, Cambridge, Milton, Chatham, Exeter, Norfolk are all in the wrong direction. But a lot of the place names are Native I think. Etobicoke, Mississauga, Wasaga, Penetanguishine, Magnetawan, Petawawa, Kawartha, Powassan.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To be fair, Muddy York was never the official name of present day Toronto, just a disparaging nickname. Of course, there are still a few disparaging nicknames for that city.

Drive through New York, you can find Mexico and Lebanon(supposed to be named after the city in Conn., not the country). There is also a Lebanon in New Hampshire.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To be fair, Muddy York was never the official name of present day Toronto, just a disparaging nickname. Of course, there are still a few disparaging nicknames for that city.

Drive through New York, you can find Mexico and Lebanon(supposed to be named after the city in Conn., not the country). There is also a Lebanon in New Hampshire.

I realize Muddy York was a disparaging name. But is was entrenched deeply enough that the people wanted to distance themselves from it. If you see Toronto during Spring thaw, you can see how difficult it would be to live down that name.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
It is a fascinating subject, the origin of names, particularly in countries that have been around for a while. English place names can have roots millenia deep and have transformed many times over the centuries.

It's one of my many hobbies, when it comes to place names. "Countries that have been around for a while?" A little of that unconscious chauvinism showing, Marc? English place names can have roots millenia deep, and have transformed many times over the centuries?

(And please, I mean no offense. You can't help it, and I can't help pointing it out....:lfao:)

Long before Captain Cook arrived in the Hawaiian Islands, those people had names for the place and its geological features-names with roots millenia deep.....

My mother's mother was Wind River Shoshone, White Knives Clan. They were called that because they have a special place to get this white flint that they made knives from-before the Europeans came-hell, maybe before eastward migration reached the Ohio River Valley-not long ago, I got taken to that place. I won't name it here, because.....well, I just can't-but it's a name that has roots millenia deep, and, since not many others call it by that name I won't use, it's been transformed many times over the centuries.

The Dine-most call them Navaho-believe that they came to the Four Corners region of the southwest from the north on the wings of a great bird. Interestingly, the dialects of the Pacific Northwest and Inuit people are Athabascan, just as the Dine is, so the Navaho did come from the north-and most of them these actually believe they walked all that way. Anyway, in the Four Corners region there is a rock formation called Tsé Bitʼaʼí, or "rock with wings" for the winged bird that brought them there.It's associated with many, many legends, rituals and ceremonies-it's sacred. When Europeans first saw it, they called it "the Needle," but by 1870, they were calling it "Shiprock," for its vague resemblance to a 19th century clipper ship. So, it's name has roots millenia deep and have transformed over time.

I'm not even going to get into all the native names for places back east, where I came from-I've already mentioned some which clearly would have "roots millenia deep" and to have "transformed over time."

Where I grew up, there are a lot of hills. One of them was used during our Revolutionary war-a war of "colonial treason," if you like-as the place to hang the British and those that sympathized with them. The road that goes over it, now, to Continental Village, where the Continental Army camped , is called Gallows' Hill Road. Of course, I'm sure the natives had another name for it, if they ever had a name for it, but I think it's lost-as sometimes happens to things that have roots millenia deep.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard that Chicago is a mispronounciation of an Indian word meaning smelly river or creek.

Missouri was named after the Missouri tribe, and reportedly means "town of the large canoes."

Latest Discussions