ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Got this from the Dojang Digest.

---------------------------
Taekwondo will remain in 2008 Olympics, says committee
Inside JoongAng Daily
by Brian Lee

April 16, 2005 - The head of the International Olympic Committee has offered assurances that taekwondo will remain an Olympic sport for the foreseeable future, according to members of the Korea Olympic Committee.

A recent corruption scandal and allegations of biased refereeing have given rise to talk that taekwondo might not retain its status as a full Olympic sport in the 2008 Beijing Games.

But Jacques Rogge, president of the Olympics' governing body, told Korea Olympic Committee president Kim Jung-gil at a meeting in Switzerland this week that Korean taekwondo's recent reform drive had alleviated those concerns, according to local committee members.

Kim Un-yong, formerly the top official in Korean taekwondo, was convicted last year of embezzling 3.84 billion won ($3.75 million) from the World Taekwondo Federation and the World Taekwondo Headquarters. Mr. Kim, who was also an International Olympic Committee vice president, was instrumental in the drive to make taekwondo a full-fledged Olympic sport, which it became in 1988.

Taekwondo has also been dogged by assertions in recent years that referees at international competitions, including the Olympics, had swung decisions in favor of Korean athletes. Korea's taekwondo organizations have made some rule changes and are considering adopting electronic gear to make scoring more verifiable.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now hopefully we can gain our respect and intigrity back, it is a shame in today world of MA that so many people are able to Lie cheat and steal there way through a wonderful and pure sport as it once was. I hope the new regiem will make every effort to protect the Art so this will never happen again.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im glad they get to stay an olympic sport, but what would it matter if it wasnt?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good news! I think it does matter for all martial arts that we have this and judo in the Olympics--the visibility helps.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Good news! I think it does matter for all martial arts that we have this and judo in the Olympics--the visibility helps.
Agreed!

Miles

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see they took care of the corruption, but wish the sport was more expansive (Open) to allow other MA karate/kenpo/chuan fa etc. I would like to see 2-3 minute continuous free sparring scored electornically as well as forms competition, but hey, this is a start!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've been hearing, the forms competitions are starting to become a reality.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea but they will have to redo them for the tae gueks never really do the sport justice in there delivery. I sure hope the next set of forms are better with more power instead of furness.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The WTF is currently in the process of trying to standardize it's forms or even come with a set of specific competition forms to make judging international competitors much easier. In fact, the first international forms competition is in 2006 I believe.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think they are refering to next years World Championship. Yes, TKD wants it's poomse to be considered for Olympic Medal contention but, it's competition for forms includes WuShu and Karate (don't know which the Japanese government is behind). Since, Japan has Judo, Korea has TKD, I'd expect that the Chinese will get a shot. I'll be suprised thougth if any get full medal status since it's more of a pageant than a sport.

J

Jim Tindell

TKD forms don't really stand much of a chance against the Chinese forms. They're a lot more fun to watch.

J

JanneM

Wushu forms are in Beijin as an spectator(?) sport.
I believe that not taekwondo nor karate stand chanse against wushu in Olympics. Wushu forms are mouch more spectator friendly that any other type of forms in ma. And as TX_BB mentioned Korea and Japan allready has their sports in Olympics.
2006 poomsae world championships are held in Korea. The accurate place is not been publised yet. I believe that world poomsae championships are great way to make taekwondo eaven more standard trough all the world.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I don't think that Wushu practitioners compete in forms. Their competitions are much more like rhythmic gymnastics, but with weapons and some purposeful martial applications.

Olympic forms competition for TKD?! This can't be serious.

J

JanneM

In European poomsae championships 2004 president of ETU was talking about poomsae getting to the level that it could be accepted as an Olympic sport. Also I heard something that sort in World taekwondo Championships in Germany in 2003.

I don't think that TKD poomsae will ever be an Olympic sport. I believe that Wushu forms has that in their pocet.

Latest Discussions