usat junior olympics

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering who is going to be at the tournament in San Antonio this year and if so maybe we can get together for some light converstation. Also what about the punch coming into effect for this year tournament.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I won't be there, but we usually have a couple competitors from our organization and at least one usually places or wins their division...

It will be interesting to see how the punching will affect the dynamics of sparring...

Best of luck to those competiting...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965,

I'm not familiar with any changes in allowances for punching and couldn't find anything on it. What's happening?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The rules haven't changed, as far as I know....

But they are re-emphasizing a punch to the hogu as a legitimate scoring method and making sure referee's and judges watch for it, etc...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phew! Gotcha. This was going to be my first trip to the juniors and I was thrown off by that. Thanks.

Regards,

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not going, but would suggest if you are concerned about the rules to attend the referee seminar since that will be the "refresher" for most of the referees.

BTW, I had some students compete when Jrs were in TX last time (2001?)-near the Alamo. They had a great time and said the folks in TX did a super job.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I am not going, but would suggest if you are concerned about the rules to attend the referee seminar since that will be the "refresher" for most of the referees.
Miles
I was thinking that would be a pretty good idea myself. Thank.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini, they are going to count ounches to the hogu if it is done with any power in the past no punches counted just teach your kids to block that reverse puch when it is thrown. At Texas state this year one of my fighter koss and the other kid did not throw one single kick in two round just went in with punches and out scored him 6 to 4. very strang to see a olympic style tourney with no kicks being thrown. By the way what day are you going to be there maybe we can meet.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
By the way what day are you going to be there maybe we can meet.
I would like that. Not sure yet. Probably Friday. As I'm able to shore up the plans, I'll pm you. Thanks.