TKD this and TKD that?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am some what complex over TKD in general, you see what was once TKD is now sport or something by another name and we have so many different organizations that I cannot remember if so and so was ITF 1-2-3 or whatever or if someone is ATA or WTF, KKW or USAT,A.A.U., Eroupe, or some other country or what I almost forgot about the USTC and all the state orgs that we have. Between old age amd just not giving a dam anymore over what org or anything else.

This was brought up because a new students has 12 certificates from various orgs and I do not eveb know most of them, can anyone explain Southern TKD of America because I cannot found anything under google? Also has anybodt heard of the Cajun TKD federation? or even the African American TKD org out of Mississippi? Not trying to be funny but really would like to verify some of these orgs?

He is coming in Wednesday for workout to see where he is and what he knows, should be fun?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, anyone with a good interent connection and a color printer can make up some certificates and create an organization....even if they are they only member. Not saying this new student has done that....probably just affiliated with one or more local groups....but that fancy certs mean very little without some level of reputation backing them up.

Hopefully this guy has some skills and is a benefit to your dojang.

Peace,
Erik

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not trying to be funny but really would like to verify some of these orgs?

I am sorry but I had to giggle!

I'd be more interested why he has certificates from 12 different organizations, but that is just me.....

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will stay out of this one....:wavey:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I see it, if he is not AAU or KKW he is not really recognized by any creditable org so his rank does not really matter. Evaluate him and place him where you think his skill level is according to your standard. If he has black belt skills then you have him test at the next testing and certify him under KKW that will be recognized worldwide.

Good luck.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sorry but I had to giggle!

I'd be more interested why he has certificates from 12 different organizations, but that is just me.....
I had a good chuckle as well.
icon10.gif

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The way I see it, if he is not AAU or KKW he is not really recognized by any creditable org so his rank does not really matter. Evaluate him and place him where you think his skill level is according to your standard. If he has black belt skills then you have him test at the next testing and certify him under KKW that will be recognized worldwide.

Good luck.
You're my hero!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Good luck.

So, you are saying that in the entire world the only credible TKD orgs are KKW or AAU?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may not apply here but my instructor and many martial artists I know do have certs from different orgs and styles as they were service people and moved every couple of years to new places where they have to change styles according to whats available. Over thirty years my instructor has earned black belts in five different (though similiar) karate styles. He's always insisted though on starting at white but obviously experience helps. His original black belt he earned before he joined up though was Judo. Along the way he's picked up knowledge of a lot of different things like BJJ, TKD, MT etc.
While it wonderful to be able to stay with the same style, school whatever for years it's not possible for many of us but it is balanced out by getting to experience in other MA and meeting may good martial artists.
As I said it may not apply here but people do have to move around a lot nowadays and if they want to stay in TKD may well have had to shift from org to org, just a thought.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's possible that someone in Louisiana just decided to name their school "Cajun TKD Association", so despite the name it's not so much an org as a school. I think all you can really do is judge him on his ability and go from there. I've always been of a mind that a single 2nd Dan is worth more than 2 different 1st dans, but some folks feel otherwise. Hopefully this guy doesn't have 12 different 1st Dans!

jim

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am some what complex over TKD in general, you see what was once TKD is now sport or something by another name and we have so many different organizations that I cannot remember if so and so was ITF 1-2-3 or whatever or if someone is ATA or WTF, KKW or USAT,A.A.U., Eroupe, or some other country or what I almost forgot about the USTC and all the state orgs that we have. Between old age amd just not giving a dam anymore over what org or anything else.

This was brought up because a new students has 12 certificates from various orgs and I do not eveb know most of them, can anyone explain Southern TKD of America because I cannot found anything under google? Also has anybodt heard of the Cajun TKD federation? or even the African American TKD org out of Mississippi? Not trying to be funny but really would like to verify some of these orgs?

He is coming in Wednesday for workout to see where he is and what he knows, should be fun?
I did find this about the African American TKD Started by Jimmy Lyons:http://tysonsportsgym.com/about%20us.html
Grand Master Jimmy Lyons, 5 times World Martial Art Champion, Fitness Expert and National President is the Founder of the African American Taekwondo Association (AATA) based out of Orlando, Florida. Grand Master Lyons is the Former President of United We Stand Martial Arts Association, and Tyson Sports and has worked rigorously promoting health and fitness throughout the African American community.

Too many Americans suffer from poor fitness and obesity. African-Americans are at particularly high risk. Grand Master Lyons says, ?"Everyone in the country needs to be thinking about their weight and their fitness. This is of even greater urgency in African-Americans. The message here is that both obesity and fitness are very important to all races and genders, but in African-Americans, we need even greater attention not only to reducing weight, but in improving fitness. The two go together but are separate." There is a critical need for aggressive interventions to improve diet and exercise within the African-American community.

Grand Master Lyons has teamed up with various celebrities to promote health, fitness and the martial arts. Grand Master Lyons has worked with President George W. Bush and President Bill Clinton with the President?s Council promoting Physical Fitness, Chuck Norris (WCL) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (Arnold Classic). Grand Master Lyons has also worked closely with the YMCA's after school program, promoting health and fitness to our youth, as well as Tyson Sports Institute working with students and preparing them for a career in personal training.

The African American Taekwondo Association (AATA) is proud to announce that the association is now accepting applications for membership for State President and National Referee?s. Memberships will also be accepted for clubs as well as individual?s wanting to join. The AATA membership is for those who are promoting health, fitness and martial arts. The AATA is open to all styles of Traditional and Olympic Taekwondo.
The AATA is proud to announce that they will be one of the 2008 Olympic Taekwondo sponsors. The AATA would like to formally invite all school owners to our 2008 South Korea World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) tour. All Masters and students will receive an opportunity to train at the World Taekwondo Headquarters, as well as receive an honorary plaque from the WTF. The AATA is a proud sponsor and supporter of the World Taekwondo Federation. We welcome all individuals to participate in helping put together the AATA competition team to qualify for the 2008 Olympic Team in Beijing, China, as well as competing in the 2007 summer games in South Korea. If you are a high school student looking for help obtaining college scholarships through our Taekwondo program please email the AATA for assistance.

The African American TKD Association offers rewarding benefits to all their members, as well as showing each member how to make $100,000. The AATA offers all club members free club insurance; free marketing DVD on how to make $100,000 annually. The AATA offer?s State Presidents free 6 ft. trophies as well as beautifully customized metals, for state tournaments. State President Directors will also have the opportunity to take advantage of our all inclusive Disney World vacation once a year for our National Tournament, which takes place in beautiful Orlando, Florida. The AATA promotes politic free events. Our goal is to insure everyone gets a fair chance when attending our AATA events. All AATA competitors who attend our tournaments will receive a good sportsman ship metal. We believe that everyone is a winner. We hope that every instructor can appreciate making sure everyone goes home with a winning spirit.

Please email us for more information and receive our monthly newsletter. Sign up today and receive our free TKD t-shirt.

African American Taekwondo Association
National President: Jimmy Lyons
[email protected]

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Looks like he is trying to do a good thing.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, you are saying that in the entire world the only credible TKD orgs are KKW or AAU?
No, but you and everyone else knows what they are, and you know it is not ATC's BB Certificate issued by Me:erg:.

Latest Discussions