A problem

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my on/off search for a org to call home, I ended up with a rather mindblowing option. I ended up speaking directly to a GM (non KKW) about his org, and he asked I send him a paper on my TKD experience. If he likes what he sees, he *might* invite me to his home school for a private work out and to talk about things. My other instructors thought this chance was awesome... up to the point I told them that this group doesn't do Chang Hon forms. Instant no, we aren't changing form sets, was the reaction I got. While I may be head instructor, we had all agreed under the last head that changes would be voted on, everyone has equal say. So now I'm at a loss of what to do. To train for free (got to pay travel costs) with this person would be on of the highest points of my TKD life. But would I be wasting his time and mine, when there is no chance that my school would join his org?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my on/off search for a org to call home, I ended up with a rather mindblowing option. I ended up speaking directly to a GM (non KKW) about his org, and he asked I send him a paper on my TKD experience. If he likes what he sees, he *might* invite me to his home school for a private work out and to talk about things. My other instructors thought this chance was awesome... up to the point I told them that this group doesn't do Chang Hon forms. Instant no, we aren't changing form sets, was the reaction I got. While I may be head instructor, we had all agreed under the last head that changes would be voted on, everyone has equal say. So now I'm at a loss of what to do. To train for free (got to pay travel costs) with this person would be on of the highest points of my TKD life. But would I be wasting his time and mine, when there is no chance that my school would join his org?

I'd say go for the training. Be up front with him that you can't force a change of poomsae, so you'll either have to join and keep training your own forms or just come up for the training. I'm sure most gms are happy to just have students that want to learn even if they aren't in your org/exact style. I know my gm has helped ITF people train for headings although he's a kukkiwon 8th dan and staunch kukkiwon advocate.

Let us know how it goes...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why could'nt you just do the new set as a add on set, within your exsisting curriculum?

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I could Terry, but my other instructors are interested in advancing with the ITF formset, and not adding another set along side it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could Terry, but my other instructors are interested in advancing with the ITF formset, and not adding another set along side it.

Ok that makes sense, then I woulsd say no do not trainwith him because it will ruffle the whole outlook of what all of you agreed upon.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I see your dilemma here. What will be the reason to go see this person? A good workout? If that's all that you expect, then go & enjoy. It seems as though there is little else this relationship will come to. As long as everyone in your crew expects the same as this GM is offering, I see no problem with you going. It could a fun time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What keeps YOU from personally working with him, and still looking for a route to certification? Have you confirmed the information, even?

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure what you are looking for but AAU will take your forms and offer certification,with no interference in your teaching.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who is the grandmaster that you have an opportunity to study with?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My thought is that switching to any new allegiance shall require change and adaptation from you. You are seeking a new teacher after all and asking him to take you into his family. Seems rather contradictory from your other instructors to refuse outright any accomodation. Are your goals at cross-purposes with them? Do they see no real need to affiliate with another group?

There are orgs out there that will let you teach whatever you want and still will certify you. Perhaps AAU is one, although I know nothing about them. I think Terry said he was a rep for them at one time, so contact him for the scoop. At the same time, the idea seems a little ridiculous to me. How on earth can a group certify your rank (along with your students) if they themselves are not expert on the material?

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do they require we compete?
Absolutely not,many AAU schools do not compete. I would venture to say most AAU schools are with the AAU because of the inexpensive club insurance,and the certification.They have a seprate place for TKD,Karate,and Chinese arts.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My thought is that switching to any new allegiance shall require change and adaptation from you. You are seeking a new teacher after all and asking him to take you into his family. Seems rather contradictory from your other instructors to refuse outright any accomodation. Are your goals at cross-purposes with them? Do they see no real need to affiliate with another group?

There are orgs out there that will let you teach whatever you want and still will certify you. Perhaps AAU is one, although I know nothing about them. I think Terry said he was a rep for them at one time, so contact him for the scoop. At the same time, the idea seems a little ridiculous to me. How on earth can a group certify your rank (along with your students) if they themselves are not expert on the material?
The AAU does have experts on all TKD forms as they encompass all styles of TKD.They hold dan testings or you can go to someone in your area who is aau and your style and test there.They can get you KWW if you desire also.
Yes your club has to be a member,all students must be members, membership for student adults is $22 a year,under 18 is $14 and this includes secondary insurance to them anywhere you train.
If you want a GM to teach you new techniques then this may not be what you want.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The AAU does have experts on all TKD forms as they encompass all styles of TKD.They hold dan testings or you can go to someone in your area who is aau and your style and test there.They can get you KWW if you desire also.
Yes your club has to be a member,all students must be members, membership for student adults is $22 a year,under 18 is $14 and this includes secondary insurance to them anywhere you train.
If you want a GM to teach you new techniques then this may not be what you want.

What about hoshinsul or one steps? Surely it's a bit much to think that these are all standardized? What about any extra requirements you might have locally that might be out of the ordinary?

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

A bit my fault, I believed that the org in question used our formset when I first contacted it. They want to affiliate with a group that does our formset, that does not do the sine wave, and that has a good rep. It seems, honestly, that every org out there has its share of detractors. Adapting other new methods isn't an issue, it's simply the forms.

As a group, we agreed that any changes to the class have to be put to a vote. Which works out great on everything so far...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, good luck, whatever you decide, bluewave. If I were in your shoes, I would just look for the most capable TKD instructor within a driving distance (however that is defined by you) and then go from there. It might be cool to affiliate with someone well known, but if he's too far away from you to receive proper tuition, there's not much point to starting a relationship that will ultimately be too distant (in more ways than one).

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What about hoshinsul or one steps? Surely it's a bit much to think that these are all standardized? What about any extra requirements you might have locally that might be out of the ordinary?
I see your meaning but all schools have different requirements, these type of exams would encompass those aspects but would be like show us a defense from a .....does not matter what the tech. more how its accomplished.Same for breaking etc.
You could sit on a testing board at one of our exams and grade someone 1-10 on s/d and I am sure it would work out fine.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I brought it up again last week, and again, a no from all the others. Though one instructors response, well, was just an unrealistic idea of how to move forward. They all want to keep doing Chang Hon set, fine. But one instructor said that 1 - We'd be losing what makes us 'unique', 2 - We'd no longer be doing 'traditional' TKD, and 3 - They would not pay any fees or join any org.

I simply nodded my head and said ok. On #1, we are in a sea of ATA schools, so yes, our set is unique to the area. On #2 - I just wasn't going to bother discussing that, we've got several pages of threads and such, just not going there. #3 - Wow. I mean, it's great that we don't have to charge test fees of our students. But to think that somewhere out there, we are going to find a group that is just going to test us for free, not ask for anything in return? Insane. I even mentioned the AAU and the INCREDIBLY reasonable prices, and flat out no. Just wow.

I contacted the GM in question, explained to him what was going on with the other instructors with me, and that I was still willing to go forward, and he is putting some info in the mail for me to review. Looks like I'm about to embark on an interesting ride...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what wimps! ^_^

well, be up front and see where it goes. Training with another instructor is hardly ever a waste of time. And frankly, learning a new form isn't either ;)

Good Luck

Actually, there are bigger deal breakers than learning new forms. The devil is in the small print. (but you knew that)

There is at least one place out there that turns your happy home dojang into a franchise...

Last edited:

Latest Discussions