breaking

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am testing for my 1st degree BB in December and I am trying to think of a cool breaking combination. I am pretty good with spinning kicks. I am not as accurate as I would like to be with straight side kicks. Just trying to get some ideas.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
At demos I like to do a down spin , then a spin , then switch and finish with a tornado kick. It always goes down well and looks good as long as its done quick.

OP
X

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like my kind of kicks. What is a down spin though? Is it a spinning cresent or spinning axe kick. Or is it some combonation of them both?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to MT!

If you like spinning kicks, how about a right leg narabon breaking a board or two followed immediately by a left leg narabon? Looks spectacular and shows an awful lot of agility.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry to say this, but the 'I am not as accurate as I like to be with my side/back kick' made me wonder.

We have pretty specific specs we have to follow for our breaks, so many hand or foot techniques, spinning, jumping, either leg, both legs...

Anyhow, if you are good in the spins, more power to you (I am not and it took me a total of 6 tries to do my spin-side and actually breaking last time I tested) but there is so much more in the arsenal than just spins. I personally like frint kicks (keep your toes back) my son loved Axe kicks and as more advanced BB run jumps, jumps and spin jumps are making things more interesting. We generally only break once in a 2 month cycle. But it is only supposed to be a check for the accuracy of the technique anyhow...

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I like to do, if I have to do multiple breaks (and I have a choice as to what those breaks are) is mix it up. I'll choose a break that really shows off my strengths....btu I'll also choose a break that tests my abilities and forces me to work on a need area. So, in your case, I'd do some sort of spin kick combo to show off your dextereity and talent in that area. But I'd also do something like a back kick...something that will force you to work on that need area and make it better.

It's more work...but the rewards are worth it.

Peace,
Erik

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like my kind of kicks. What is a down spin though? Is it a spinning cresent or spinning axe kick. Or is it some combonation of them both?
with a down spin we break with the timber standing by itself on the floor and we drop down and basically do a spinning hook kick about 3-6 inches off the ground and break the timber. There is probably another name for it but we just call it a down spin kick (it is one of our first dan grading requirements).

OP
X

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. That down spin sounds interesting. The requirments for breaking in my test are: 4 break combonaiton number of boards are up to me, a speed break with 1 board, and a power break with 4 boards.

Breaks I am leaning toward

Combo: Left leg spin hook kick to the front, turn - left leg front kick to ther back, left hand spin back fist to the left, right leg narabon to the left. (1 person in front 1 in back 2 on the left)

Power break: Elbow or step side kick

Speed break: Ridge hand or outside to inside chop I am debating on whether to throw the board myself or have someone hold it with 2 fingers. It just depends how comfortable I am feeling about it.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.