TKD blah blah blah Martial art Blah blah blah

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let me just throw in my two cents (Again- just my personal opinion and experience)...

Martial Arts is ultimately about Combat. It's about Killing, Fighting, and Combat. No matter how you try to twist, turn, debate, or overturn it, the core root of Martial Art (no matter which entity) is about Combat... You are training to Fight and/or Kill...
Weather your a Civilian, Public Servant, Governement Entity, Martial Arts at it's core (what your really training to do and talk about) is about killing.... Now granted different entities may be 'forced' to use it more or so then others, but if your to talk about what Martial Arts is truly about, it's about Combat and Killing...

In regards to Sport, if you know your Martial History, you should know that many of the so called Martial Sports, became sport to either preserve the Art itself, or promote another Martial agenda through spectator obersvation... Really since the 60's, there seems to have been an explosive regards for promoting Martial Sport as Martial Arts... Which is truly not true! Granted Martial sport has given the Martial Arts more attention then if it had not become Sport, but in my personal opinion I also believe Martial sport has done harm to the integrity of Martial Arts.

Though, I'm sure well have this discussion many times over, and I'll be saying the same thing (as I always do) many times over!!

Just my two cents! :asian:

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But overall agreed!
icon10.gif

That's the most important point.Overall we agree. I do of course realize that in live SD you generally get one chance to disarm a gun or knife (although I can think of numerous times that I've seen multiple disarms of each attempted in live SD scenarios,and only twice had to do so myself vs a gun,but multiple times vs knives/bats/bottles/chains/sticks as I grew up and as a young adult) but the drills really REALLY REALLY refine one's skills in every phase of this situation.And it's VITAL for self defense in a realistic way.Observe this Human Weapon segment featuring Krav Maga:

http://youtu.be/v8a3h1y9l7g

They do drills exactly like the kind that I've been doing FOR YEARS. And once again,there ya have it...performance oriented drills drawn from sport specific training concepts that are geared toward and highly functional in teaching the specified skill set,regardless of environment.

Latest Discussions