Tips on combining Taekwondo Karate and kenpo

Mr.NayNay

White Belt
Reaction score
Howdy y'all sorry for being absent for a while I have been busy moving but I wanted to ask is the their away of combining two different styles and making it as your own style?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no recipe or formula. If you feel that you understand the different systems well, and you see a way to integrate them that makes sense to you, then have at it.

In my opinion, most people do not do this very well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Howdy y'all sorry for being absent for a while I have been busy moving but I wanted to ask is the their away of combining two different styles and making it as your own style?
yes of course there is, just convbine them, if that will result in something that is at least as good as either on their own is somewhat debatable

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO unless you are Bruce Lee I would say no.
If your objective is to become a better Martial Artist, then training in two different arts like Karate and Judo would improve your skills, but you would not be developing a new style.
Developing a new style is for people who dedicate their lives to there art.

OP
Mr.NayNay

Mr.NayNay

White Belt
Reaction score
If your objective is to become a better Martial Artist, then training in two different arts like Karate and Judo would improve your skills, but you would not be developing a new style.
Okay I well thank you so much for that tip!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are looking at two very similar concepts. I don't see the problem.

But basically you spar. You see what works. And develop that. Otherwise you develop pathways and flow charts pretty much.

A guy I trained with a bit back who uses that sideways clever kick heavy style well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
570y07ns4dgz.jpg

So a random BJJ example. But one technique positions you to another and so on.

And so you can use Kempo or TKD you just need to know how you are going to walk from one point to another.

(The flow chart can be used informally it can just be a collection in your head)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How you actually combine styles, or if you combine them at all, is up to you. We just call it "punch kick" to have a name that represents the Striking Arts in general.

I've trained TKD and Kenpo on a part part time basis for forty years, Karate a decade longer, have Dan rankings in all of them, which at least gives me a say.

My say is this - it's all just punch and kick. Go forth and Kumite your fricken' brains out and sharpen them weapons up.
Go on, now.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
John LaTourrette (9th under Tracy's and 5th under Parker) had a korean karate background and added alot of their kicking methods and execution to his kenpo. It can be done, but as others have said it depends on what and how you are wanting to do it and what the base styles overall strategies are.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

So what you're basically saying here is that JKD is the only martial art that is any good?

Every single martial art was made up at some point, and I'd even go as far as to say that every one we know of has roots or influences from other arts.

Anyone can make a 'new' MA by blending others or by making up new techniques and/or methods - whether it's any good is a different matter.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive trained Kenpo for a long time and I was always known for my high kicks and spinning kicks. But I never trained taekwondo in my life (I want to just never found time) in Muay Thai competition I used a lot of head kicks and spin kicks in the ring and was successful. So you can put in high kicks into kenpo.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
My advise to anyone who wants to combine styles is to do each style for a minimum of 10 years and apply it. It's not complicated. It will happen naturally. Now to create a new style that you want to teach to others,, well now that's an entirely different question.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My advise to anyone who wants to combine styles is to do each style for a minimum of 10 years and apply it. It's not complicated. It will happen naturally. Now to create a new style that you want to teach to others,, well now that's an entirely different question.

Ten years?

Crikey. I know people who have won title fights in two.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jigaro Kano created Judo at age 22 after about 5 years of training (total) in multiple arts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that seems a ridiculously long time ! 20 years ? I supose it depends where your starting from, but someone young, athletic with good motor skills should be able to be a lot more than proficient in a couple of years, people have gone from street kid to the olympics in that sort of time

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ten years?

Crikey. I know people who have won title fights in two.
The question wasn't how long does it take to be a good fighter.
Jigaro Kano created Judo at age 22 after about 5 years of training (total) in multiple arts.

It is generally accepted that it takes about ten years for a skill to be fully developed. This apply to any skill be it karate, piano, carpentry...
We have had this discussion on this sight before it's not a new concept. So my point was if you study two or more arts , after about 10 years they will naturally be integrated into a skill set that are combined into a single unit. There would be no need to do anything special to combine them it will occur naturally.
Keep in mind the OP asked about karate, kenpo and TKD. They are similar skill sets with different approaches.
So @drop bear ,s. Example of a MMA fighter is not an equivalent from my perspective because 1. Fighters most often now are not learning a full style. They are learning individual skills. 2. Muay Thai and BJJ are different skill sets. So dissimilar skill sets can always be used in unison. Your not actually combining different philosophies and frame works into a cohesive skill..
Also I am not saying it has to take 10 years. I am only saying by 10 years it will happen without a person's conscious awareness. No extra effort would be needed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The question wasn't how long does it take to be a good fighter.

It is generally accepted that it takes about ten years for a skill to be fully developed. This apply to any skill be it karate, piano, carpentry...
We have had this discussion on this sight before it's not a new concept. So my point was if you study two or more arts , after about 10 years they will naturally be integrated into a skill set that are combined into a single unit. There would be no need to do anything special to combine them it will occur naturally.
Keep in mind the OP asked about karate, kenpo and TKD. They are similar skill sets with different approaches.
So @drop bear ,s. Example of a MMA fighter is not an equivalent from my perspective because 1. Fighters most often now are not learning a full style. They are learning individual skills. 2. Muay Thai and BJJ are different skill sets. So dissimilar skill sets can always be used in unison. Your not actually combining different philosophies and frame works into a cohesive skill..
Also I am not saying it has to take 10 years. I am only saying by 10 years it will happen without a person's conscious awareness. No extra effort would be needed.
it's not generally accepted at all, I've never even seen that proposed, I've seen 10,000 hours proposed but that's for concert pianists etc where the fine motors skills are extreme, but that's a bit arguable if its anywhere near necessary if your talented

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
it's not generally accepted at all, I've never even seen that proposed, I've seen 10,000 hours proposed but that's for concert pianists etc where the fine motors skills are extreme, but that's a bit arguable if its anywhere near necessary if your talented
it is accepted ,,,but to each their own.

D

Deleted member 34973

You can combine those three arts, fairly easy, if you were to reverse engineer them, a majority of their techniques have the same source.

Concern your self with distances, as you fight, the distance collapses. Think about that as you are creating your art.

In distance training it would go longest distance to shortest.

1)Hand held weapons
2)Kicking
3)punch
4)knees
5)elbows
6)takedowns/standing grappling
7)ground game.

Latest Discussions