Throat strikes? ...how much is taught to you?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most of us practice some "throat strikes"....do we know how dangerous this can be? ....a very effective way to end a fight? ....and is consider a killing move?

You are facing someone who wants to hurt you....before he can swing his punch to you.....you "pop" your spear hand into his THROAT!

Is this a smart or wise move? ....against an unknown person?

NOTE: knife hand can be use in any swinging motions..in, out, ankle in, ankle out, sideways in or out or straight in ...both hands or either one, and open hand "Y" strike, or knuckles? or punch? thumb? finger? etc...

Throat strikes: ...your thoughts on this?

for an idea how effective? ...just self strike to your throat area!

Aloha,

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always been taught throat strikes as a "killing" move and should only be used in a situation where deadly force could be justified. This goes for any kind of strike, weather it is a speak hand, knife hand, or tiger claw style.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Twice in a real SD situation I've used the throat strike with the axe/blade/sword hand and it's helped me to get away from the danger. On the first one it was a glancing blow but enough contact/force was made to cause the guy to back off holding their throat and fall to his knees gasping for air. They lived.
The second one was hard slash directly across the wind-pipe (aimed for the apple) with (my) intent to incapacitate quickly as possible, as he had a knife. He went down dropping his weapon and likewise holding his throat. I walked off... didn't look back... and at the time didn't care.

So yeah, I'd say they're effective if you execute it correctly and get in a good strike.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know some good throat strikes from Tiger qinna. These tend to be palm strikes combined with claw-like grabs. I have effectively employed this twice. Its surprising how compliant a person becomes when you hit them in the throat and then grad hold of their windpipe.

Bagua generally has maybe two palm shapes that are very good for striking the neck. These would be called knife/sword hands or spear hands by other arts. As far as bagua is concerned, any strike with an open hand is called a palm.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am taught to incapacitate immediately, not to play around. I wouldn't be in the altercation if the person meant no harm. My first strike is generally to the throat, neck or base of the skull ... have been known to take out knees as well ... fight over.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am taught to incapacitate immediately, not to play around. I wouldn't be in the altercation if the person meant no harm. My first strike is generally to the throat, neck or base of the skull ... have been known to take out knees as well ... fight over.

My thoughts exactly. Throat strikes are dangerous, but that is the whole point, learning to control that strike to ensure the fight is over and the individual (depending on the circumstances) lives to see another day.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Throat strikes properly aimed at the trachea can easily kill by preventing the person struck from breathing. The smaller the tool used (fingertips as compared to a knife hand) the greater the likelihood of death, as the impact will be concentrated in a smaller area. And yes, I was taught this in TKD, and teach it to my students.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twice in a real SD situation I've used the throat strike with the axe/blade/sword hand and it's helped me to get away from the danger. On the first one it was a glancing blow but enough contact/force was made to cause the guy to back off holding their throat and fall to his knees gasping for air. They lived.
The second one was hard slash directly across the wind-pipe (aimed for the apple) with (my) intent to incapacitate quickly as possible, as he had a knife. He went down dropping his weapon and likewise holding his throat. I walked off... didn't look back... and at the time didn't care.

So yeah, I'd say they're effective if you execute it correctly and get in a good strike.

I have used the strike and piercing or stabbing many times in self defense on the street type encounters and also with those guys who always try something at a seminar or a new class.

I think the strikes are possibley deadly.

I also think they are also good for over all training and control.

I was invited to a JuJitsu class back in the early/mid 90's and the guy who invited me did not show up. So I was going to leave. The instructor asked me to stay. I did. I was paired up with a black belt from the club. The head instructor not sure of what rank of black he was, but has recently been to a BJJ seminar and was going to talk and demonstrate some stuff.

I got paired up up like I said. This guy decided to not work on what the top instructor was working on. He was going to tap me out, which I learned in this process was also supposed to make me pass out. He went in for a neck choke from a top mount. I know there are chokes there. The problem is that I could breath, but I could feel the vertebra slipping and compressing. I asked him to stop. He did not. I tapped and told him to stop. He did not. I then poked him in the throat which caused his arms to straighten out where I did a small circle lock on his write and threw him while also moving my hips to roll him over. I was then in his guard, but able to get him into the same choke. I told him what the choke was as he could not breath and then showed him the neck compression he was doing on me. He tapped so much and his friends who had been laughing at me were not yelling at me to stop as he was tapping out. I got him to the point of just passing out then let go, and stood up and asked to leave. The instructor asked me to stay not knowing the full story but he then paired me with this 350+ pound guy who was over 6'5". I could not even get my arms around him. I had to have staind to straddle him in the mount. I explained to the instructor the issue at the end of class. He udnerstood and said he would talk the Black belt and asked me why I was wearing a white belt. I told him that my dirty white belt is what I wear when invited to other clubs to train, not as a guest. He smiled, and asked me to stay with him. I told him I was not up for it giving the experience I had.

The point is that with a proper throat jab/stab I was able to stop this guy from hurting me and possible permanently hurting me for his pelasure and or ego or some initiation to his little group. He was not harmed permanently and he was able to continue to train after he came around after the choke. So, I like them and with proper usage they have their places.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Throat strikes properly aimed at the trachea can easily kill by preventing the person struck from breathing. The smaller the tool used (fingertips as compared to a knife hand) the greater the likelihood of death, as the impact will be concentrated in a smaller area. And yes, I was taught this in TKD, and teach it to my students.

Great post. This is exactly the way I was taught to look at the throat.

The use of throat strikes depends on the situation and the perceived level of the threat. If there happens to be more than one attacker or if the attacker has a weapon, then it is more than appropriate to use. No matter what you need to be prepared to handle the consequenses of your actions.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know a guy that breaks boards with a spear hand. Regardless of if the technique in of itself is dangerous, I wouldn't want to take one from him.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
A throat strike is incredibly effective and not terribly hard to pull off.

Yeah, there's a risk of death if you really nail it, but more likely the jerk will just be incapacitated for a minute or so.

But even if you did kill him -- as martial artists, we shouldn't be tusseling with anybody who isn't a direct and real threat to our lives. The time for bar fighting over who's chair this is or if some guy looked at your wife's rack was over the day you first stepped onto the mat.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for sharing your thoughts to all the above comments!

The real life stories where especially helpful in more of the understanding of the throat strikes.

Aloha ( Air ..so important to life)

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
a finger thrust to the the jugular notch coupled with a palm strike to the top of the sternum protects the fingers and allows for a deeper upward thrust into the throat.... and isn't lethal, even when applied hard. It damn works, though.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was taaught more then a few but not allowed to use most with any contact in class.
I teach most of my students only a few and never allow them any contact to the front of the thruat in class. Against the "BOB" yes. I also try to let the know the medical results of the strikes

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I remember doing one self defence seminar where we focused mostly on 'real' defence ie. gouging to the eyes, poking the throat etc. I was working with one guy and it was a straight finger jab to the throat, he slipped, used a little too much power and I was floored instantly!
They are effective but it doesn't take much to go from trying to stop someone to doing severe damage.​

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a clip of an accidental throat strike by one of my training brothers in a tournament. The interesting part starts around 2:15

We genuinely felt sorry for the guy, glad that both competitors could fight hard with no serious injuries. A day later he posts this edited video with comments that embarrass his Sifu & school. Enjoy the sour grapes.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Offhand, I can think of at least twenty techniques or variations that target the throat. I'm sure there are a lot more since I'm only halfway through the material. Seems like most of our stuff goes for the eyes, throat, or groin and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is a technique that targets all three. There have been a lot of "OMFG" moments in class.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even at my level, beginner level, we practice throat strikes (spear hand). We were told that a spear hand to the throat will cause soft tissue damage and asphyxiation in rather short order.

I can't say what I would do if attacked, what I would recall, what would be instinct for me.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even at my level, beginner level, we practice throat strikes (spear hand). We were told that a spear hand to the throat will cause soft tissue damage and asphyxiation in rather short order.

I can't say what I would do if attacked, what I would recall, what would be instinct for me.
Yes, that is one of the hardest things about our training (whatever art!) is the actual application/use of our techniques. Will we have the fortitude to actually cause that much damage. We SAY we will but when it comes down to it... really comes down to it will we over come our initial fear and allow anger to rise up enough to hurt our attacker(s) before they hurt us?
Hopefully as you say Lynn, our instinct, honed by months/years of training will take over and we will do what is necessary. :asian:

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The first caveman? ....most likely learn "running" ...when cornor? ..than learn stick/rock fighting...

Fire fighting came later.......as well as cook steaks! .............Aloha,

Latest Discussions